Linux in fiction: help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikinovak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Linux in fiction: help Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm an Austrian writer living in Montpellier/South France. I'm currently busy with my second novel "Austrian Psycho". One of my characters works on a PC and wonders about boot messages and viruses. Thought he might as well be a Linux user 8O

I myself was a Linux man (Slackware, Debian, Gentoo) until my PC got stolen. The thing I'm currently typing my novel and this message on is an Apple ibook with OS X.

Story plays between May 1999 and June 2000. Now that would be a Pentium II 233 MHz for the hardware (huh?), but what distro? Was that Slackware 7.1? Older?

1) what distro and what version in may 1999?

2) could someone print out a complete dmesg? What would the different boot messages in this old distro (kernel version, etc.) look like?

OK, it's not _really_ important, but I might as well be documented. Why put in anachronisms, when one can easily avoid them?

Besides, my first novel begins to sell rather well, so I guess this would be nice publicity for Linux 8)

Cheers,

Kiki Novak (http://www.kikinovak.net)
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1999 isn't that much in the past. 233 Mhz sounds definitely more like what you'd find in a notebook, a desktop around that time would have had at least twice that much. The Coppermine Pentium III with 700 MHz came out later that year...

Kernel vintage would have been 2.2, so you'd possibly want one of the minor version changes in that tree. 2.2.5, maybe. Slackware would be more like release number 4, but unless your hero is too much of a geek for a popular distribution, you probably want S.u.S.E. (you'd need to check which year they dropped the dots in the company name, though, I don't remember that...) 6.2 or 6.3, RedHat 6.0, or maybe something that doesn't exist as such anymore, like Caldera 2.2.

One question, if I may: If he's a Linux user, why would he wonder about viruses?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
1999 isn't that much in the past. 233 Mhz sounds definitely more like what you'd find in a notebook, a desktop around that time would have had at least twice that much. The Coppermine Pentium III with 700 MHz came out later that year...

Kernel vintage would have been 2.2, so you'd possibly want one of the minor version changes in that tree. 2.2.5, maybe. Slackware would be more like release number 4, but unless your hero is too much of a geek for a popular distribution, you probably want S.u.S.E. (you'd need to check which year they dropped the dots in the company name, though, I don't remember that...) 6.2 or 6.3, RedHat 6.0, or maybe something that doesn't exist as such anymore, like Caldera 2.2.

One question, if I may: If he's a Linux user, why would he wonder about viruses?

true, if he's a super geek though, he would use slackware (reguarless of popularity), because suse blows chunks. always has, always will. out of the mainstream distro's, slackware is what the pros use. well... maybe not the pros, pros use redhat because it lands them jobs... slack is what the l33t users use.
Cid Highwind
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Slackware 3.3 CD from 1997 right here. It makes a great coaster. They made a big jump in version numbers (from 3.x to 7) in 1999, I think.
flying_monkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's just a little off topic, but I just finished reading a book, "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. In this book (which has a lot about cryptography, duh) one guy in the "today" thread of the book (as opposed to the "ww2" thread) is using an OS called Finux. Wonder where he came up with that? :-)

Ed
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: