Portage HTTP Front End
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkdack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:07 am    Post subject: Portage HTTP Front End Reply with quote

Just an idea and a small bit of code at the moment.

I'm mainly looking for feedback from people and if they think that this is a good idea or not.

For the good oil visit: http://linux.tkdack.com/node.php?title=Portage%20HTTP%20Front%20End

It's only a small script (~ 6K) and installation is as easy as saving it to your home directory.

The script only reads from the system at the moment (ie: it performs no emerges or writes).

Try it and let me know what you think.

Former Gentoo contributor TaD
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is cool. I've been thinking about a web frontend for portage for some time, but in PHP (it's what I know). Obviously if python has a build in web server class and you can do this kind of stuff, that would be the most desireable and compatible (from an interfacing standpoint) solution.

Too bad I don't know python :cry:

What I had in mind would (optionally?) use mysql to store portage data making ANY query you can imagine instantaneous compared to what we're used to now... that would have been the funnest part of the project I was envisioning...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that the project remains (at least optionally) read-only. Web-enabled services that operate as root (which would be required to change things) really bother me.
tkdack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
I hope that the project remains (at least optionally) read-only. Web-enabled services that operate as root (which would be required to change things) really bother me.

I can't agree more. As I said, I'm just looking to see if there is any interest in this sort of thing.

I'm no web services or python guru so I'd have to do some major learning to implement it properly as a root service (authentication and all that sort of stuff). Who knows, python may have classes for this too :) I've only just started to learn about it, so far it's impressed me.

Former Gentoo contributor TaD
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: