'emerge rsync' behind a firewall
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: 'emerge rsync' behind a firewall Reply with quote

I'm using a stage 1 boot cd to build gentoo on a PIII computer. When I try to do 'emerge rsync', it fails with the following error message:

rsync: getaddrinfo: cvs.gentoo.org 873: name or service not known.

Now, I'm behind a very restrictive firewall and can only use http and ftp -- port 873 is blocked. I've set http_proxy and ftp_proxy environment variables for wget, but that doesn't help the issue above.

Is there a way to work around this using wget? (and still using a stage 1 boot cd)

Thanks.

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Found my own answer Reply with quote

Damn -- I RTFM in the first place, but didn't see this until the second time around:

Quote:
What if rsync doesn't work for me?

If you're behind a firewall that doesn't permit rsync traffic, then you can instead download the daily /usr/portage snapshot from http://cvs.gentoo.org/snapshots. Just unpack the tarball (using tar xvjf portage-foo.tbz2) in the /usr directory.

Drakon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: re: rsync thingy not working and stuff Reply with quote

um
theres web-rsync
I think its in gentoolkit
it might be elsewhere though
enjoy
:-)
HK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Alternate way to get around a firewall/proxy server Reply with quote

All you have to do is export the RSYNC_PROXY variable and set it to be your proxy/firewall with the appropriate port. ie export RSYNC_PROXY=<server name/ip address:port number>
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternate way to get around a firewall/proxy server Reply with quote

HK wrote:
All you have to do is export the RSYNC_PROXY variable and set it to be your proxy/firewall with the appropriate port. ie export RSYNC_PROXY=<server name/ip address:port number>

That isn't going to work unless the rsync port is open on the client-side firewall in the first place. (or, unless the gentoo folks configure their rsync daemon to respond on port 80, which I doubt will or should happen.)

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: