Don't Care
22%
 22%  [ 101 ]
Total Votes : 450

ComputerNerd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have came up with a solution to end the GNU/Linux debate don't call it GNU and don't call it Linux call it one name that covers everything. How about gLinuX.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now go convince all the GNU/Linux proponents. But only if it is actually referring to GNU/Linux, not just anything running a Linux kernel.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComputerNerd wrote:
I think I may have came up with a solution to end the GNU/Linux debate don't call it GNU and don't call it Linux call it one name that covers everything. How about gLinuX.
or just do call it Linux, since that's the name of the bleedin kernel. in fact it's the one and only REQUIRED component of any *Linux system. otherwise it just becomes "the OS".

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Well Android has done more to disseminate Linux and FOSS software than GNU ever achieved.

Google/Linux or even Java/Linux is a million time more accurate than GNU/Linux

yes, it is.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well Android has done more to disseminate Linux and FOSS software than GNU ever achieved.

It doesn't matter if you take energyman's or computer nerds position, but to say that google / android is more important than GNU is just wrong. Without gcc, glibc, etc you can't have a running system, especially not a gentoo system. maybe android helped linux in a commercial / political way, but GNU is way more important in a technical sense.

I'm surprised that you (as a hardware engineer) would call is java/linux :P
why not ruby/linux... ? 8O

not long ago I was a big fan of GNU, but now I think most (if not all) of their programs are way to bloated (screen vs tmux), glibc, etc etc.. of course energyman is correct that BSD, Xorg and many others have contributed a lot, but I think GNU is the most important contributor besides the kernel itself, but since GNU/Linux is to annoying to say I'd call it just Linux.

especially because I recognized that it's not spelled "Gee Nuh" like "Gentoo", but "GNU", you know what I mean? :)
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't matter if you take energyman's or computer nerds position, but to say that google / android is more important than GNU is just wrong. Without gcc, glibc, etc you can't have a running system,

you are so wrong.

glibc is so not needed:
http://blogs.gentoo.org/blueness/2013/06/05/lilblue-a-security-enhanced-fully-featured-xfce4-desktop-for-amd64-built-on-uclibc/

and millions of embbed devices not running glibc are another blow to your position.

gcc? llvm does pretty well nowadays. And there are a couple of others..

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know uclibc because of blueness and the MIPS project. I didn't have the time to try it on my yeeloong. Do you have uclibc on your normal desktop-gentoo system?

I thought uclibc is more for embedded systems...

do you use llvm? but I guess it isn't possible to abandon glibc and gcc totally? (alternatives for gdb?)

gcc is such a beast, bigger than china...

as I said, I don't like those tools very much, but I think without the GNU project there wouldn't be Linux as it is today, so we should respect it. and before we bash stallmann we should bash maybe 10000 other people first...
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:

I'm surprised that you (as a hardware engineer) would call is java/linux :P
why not ruby/linux... ? 8O

When in Rome, do as the Romans. This centre of gravity on this board is towards software rather than hardware.
*IF* I really was that way inclined I would say ARM/Linux, but I am not and that is why I just say Linux. When HR managers know what you are talking about, then you know the common term has been disseminated
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: right behind you ... (you did turn around, didn't you?)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
... before we bash stallmann we should bash maybe 10000 other people first...
This

As for the original question, I think it's rather ambiguous. But if I correctly understood the question as "In the case of referring to a system with a Linux kernel and GNU userland ..." then I'd go with GNU/Linux, even more so today, when one may encounter many differently designed systems, e.g. AndriodSDK/Linux.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This centre of gravity on this board is towards software rather than hardware.

probably... I like both...

Quote:
This

why me? and it's called "current" not "this" :P
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
I think GNU is the most important contributor besides the kernel itself
GNU's contribution has been significant, and they deserve a noteworthy footnote for their contributions. However, GNU was around prior to Linux, and not until Linux came around did GNU see significant breadth of use. However, GNU licensing is cancerous, and I look forward to Free BSD 10 which has the goal of being free from GNU.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
I know uclibc because of blueness and the MIPS project. I didn't have the time to try it on my yeeloong. Do you have uclibc on your normal desktop-gentoo system?

I thought uclibc is more for embedded systems...
why would something designed for embedded not work well on a desktop? although uclibc is more of a hacked and slashed version of glibc (c.f. their changelogs). there are others though, like dietlibc. also you could get away with only using completely different "libcs" that arent affected by ANSI cruft, like my own libcurie - although I'd not recommend that to anyone unless they like working with s-expressions and/or can get their head wrapped around stream-based, callback-based workflows.

LoTeK wrote:
do you use llvm? but I guess it isn't possible to abandon glibc and gcc totally? (alternatives for gdb?)
glibc and gcc have a much more shallow connection than you'd think. that said, clang and clang++ are AWESOME compilers - down to the really useful error messages they provide. i don't think i've willingly used another C or C++ compiler since i switched to clang. and gdb isn't a part of gcc, it's just a debugger that works with ELF binaries and their debugging data and which happens to have been ported to a lot of architectures.

LoTeK wrote:
gcc is such a beast, bigger than china...

as I said, I don't like those tools very much, but I think without the GNU project there wouldn't be Linux as it is today, so we should respect it. and before we bash stallmann we should bash maybe 10000 other people first...
there's respect - which earns you an entry in the changelog or the readme - and then there's people actively trying to rename a project because it used code X or Y even though said contribution may not be as important as those people think it is.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: