Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GNU/Linux or Linux alone?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

GNU/Linux or Linux alone?
GNU/Linux
42%
 42%  [ 191 ]
Linux
35%
 35%  [ 158 ]
Don't Care
22%
 22%  [ 101 ]
Total Votes : 450

Author Message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComputerNerd wrote:
Prenj wrote:
ComputerNerd wrote:
Prenj wrote:

The question is, why should he? Cos the Ayatollah Stallman said so?

Ayatollah referees to a high rank in the Muslim religion Richard Stallman is an atheist.

And you have aspergers.

No, that is false.

Whatever Mr. Spock.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4158
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets put it this way... commonly speaking Ibuprofen is referred to as a pain killer.

thing is it isn't really... its an anti-inflammatory and reduces fever THAT is why you take it. If you pop into a pharmacist and asking for Ibuprofen because you have pain, they won't go full retard and insist you refer to it as an anti-inflammatory, they will explain, if you are interested. They will not demand like some jihadis that you refer to it as could possibly be referred to as.

Lots of things in society go by colloquial terms. I bet you would refer to the electrical machine within your vacuum or harddrive as a motor correct? technically speaking it is an electrical machine since you can't really get a "motor" or a "generator" since an electrical machine is capable of motoring and generating.

Maybe a distribution could be referred to as GNU/Linux, maybe you should then consider that if you want to take that stance then you need to consider all the other key components which are NOT GNU but are needed for a modern linux desktop. Maybe you should consider to actually fit into society you have to communicate with people & pulling the whole "actually its GNU/Linux not linux because..." is a dickish move and people who just want something that works and want to ask about something want something simple as a label, a label ALL understand. Do you know what people mean when they say "their desktop runs linux?" YES. would my nan known wtf you mean if you asked her "is it GNU/Linux" ? NO (I put Ubuntu on her setup a few years back and no problems since).

Your argument for having GNU prepended is it adds enough functionality it should be included. What about Xorg? thats MIT licenced and I would bet alot that the majority of linux users want a desktop, so Xorg and MIT should be in this retarded name of yours by your logic.

You should try to not have your life governed by your AssBurgers.
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troll of asparagus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys stop trolling. Yes linux is just a kernel, though it is the building blocks for all applications. It could be worse we could be stuck with GNU Hurd. Also Naib, Linux isn't a command prompt you n00b.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4158
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak47gen wrote:
Also Naib, Linux isn't a command prompt you n00b.

Never said it was, please keep up. I said GNU/Linux would get you to the command prompt...
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ComputerNerd
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Your argument for having GNU prepended is it adds enough functionality it should be included. What about Xorg? thats MIT licenced and I would bet alot that the majority of linux users want a desktop, so Xorg and MIT should be in this retarded name of yours by your logic.
I would recommend you read http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#many
_________________
http://geekwithcomputer.com/ A website about programming and electronics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComputerNerd wrote:
Naib wrote:
Your argument for having GNU prepended is it adds enough functionality it should be included. What about Xorg? thats MIT licenced and I would bet alot that the majority of linux users want a desktop, so Xorg and MIT should be in this retarded name of yours by your logic.
I would recommend you read http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#many

See islamists also refer to Quran. You get my point?
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ComputerNerd
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:

See islamists also refer to Quran. You get my point?

No this is about software not religion.
_________________
http://geekwithcomputer.com/ A website about programming and electronics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about neither, it's about thinking style.
Here, I'll google it for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
ak47gen wrote:
Also Naib, Linux isn't a command prompt you n00b.

Never said it was, please keep up. I said GNU/Linux would get you to the command prompt...


No you said.
Quote:
It gets to to a command prompt.

This not only applies that you stated Linux creates a command prompt, but you also have broken English.

@ComputerNerd

You are posting on the OTW thread. Trolling here is common and talking politics will come up in every discussion.

Also to explain the last comment. Let me put it in these terms. You drive a vehicle right? All vehicles are made from an engine that pushing what that you are in. You may drive a lexus, thats just the name, but it's nothing more then a vehicle. Just like Linux you may have a choice in a distro, but its all runs off the same functions. I would recommend watching the movie Revolution OS to understand the founders of Open Source software. Its free to watch on Youtube.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3327

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not GNU/Linux because Richard Stallman is a kook

Last edited by Butts McCokey on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
It's not GNU/Linux because Richard Stallman in a kook


Can't argue with that. Then again most ideas are started by extremist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3327

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak47gen wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
It's not GNU/Linux because Richard Stallman is a kook


Can't argue with that. Then again most ideas are started by extremist.
He wrote a couple of things which were good in the 70s. He should stop talking now and go back to HURD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been bothered to use anything other than gcc to build my Gentoo boxen. Anyone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ComputerNerd
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
I have not been bothered to use anything other than gcc to build my Gentoo boxen. Anyone?
Same here gcc is a good compiler I have gcc set up for 7 different processors right now.
_________________
http://geekwithcomputer.com/ A website about programming and electronics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16113
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: It is GNU/Linux not Linux Reply with quote

ComputerNerd wrote:
Linux is just a kernel and is useless by itself [...]
Merged.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4158
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak47gen wrote:
Naib wrote:
ak47gen wrote:
Also Naib, Linux isn't a command prompt you n00b.

Never said it was, please keep up. I said GNU/Linux would get you to the command prompt...


No you said.
Quote:
It gets to to a command prompt.

This not only applies that you stated Linux creates a command prompt, but you also have broken English.

I actually stated GNU/Linux fyi so GNU (userland) + Linux (kernel) would get you to the command prompt.
Naib wrote:
GNU/Linux sux's, can't do alot of things. It gets to to a command prompt.

See that GNU/Linux part at the start of the paragraph which is referring to getting you to a command prompt. A kernel on its own does nothing. GNU userland on its own does nothing. BOTH together, as I wrote, gets to to a command prompt, which is not very useful in day to day usage, especially when the is a drive to show linux is suitable for desktop use










ComputerNerd wrote:
Naib wrote:
Your argument for having GNU prepended is it adds enough functionality it should be included. What about Xorg? thats MIT licenced and I would bet alot that the majority of linux users want a desktop, so Xorg and MIT should be in this retarded name of yours by your logic.
I would recommend you read http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#many

I have quite a few times and it still re-enforces my stance. If you want a command prompt then sure. If you want a desktop then you also need to refer to it as Xorg/GNU/Linux, something you are not even considering, which is re-enforcing the stance you are a fanatic when applying Churchill's Razor
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3327

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need a new poll with a link to this one to see if people's opinions have changed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you say "disc brakes" or just "brakes"? It depends on whether the distinction is essential to what you are communicating.
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3327

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Do you say "disc brakes" or just "brakes"? It depends on whether the distinction is essential to what you are communicating.
While I agree with you wholeheartedly, what other form of linux is there that we'd need to distinguish GNU/Linux from? You can use uclibc and tinycc with the linux kernel but there is no name for it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Do you say "disc brakes" or just "brakes"? It depends on whether the distinction is essential to what you are communicating.
While I agree with you wholeheartedly, what other form of linux is there that we'd need to distinguish GNU/Linux from? You can use uclibc and tinycc with the linux kernel but there is no name for it

Android, Tizen, OpenMoko, MeeGo, OpenWRT, OpenEmbedded, etc., etc., etc.
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComputerNerd wrote:
Prenj wrote:

See islamists also refer to Quran. You get my point?

No this is about software not religion.


then why you act like it is religion?

And why are you ignoring the fact that gnu/linux is even MORE WRONG then just linux? No, that isn't it.

Demanding to call it GNU/Linux is MORE WRONG then just calling it linux.

It isn't just wrong, it is morally abhorrent. It is amoral. Disgusting for every just person.

On one hand you demand that everybody acknowledges the 'work' of the 'gnu project' - the people behind it got ripped off by the FSF already, so you actually demand to acknowledge the great doing of the FSF.

But at the same time you ignore the hard work of everybody else.

Last time I checked KDE was owned and done by KDE eV. Xorg X11 is NOT gnu. Neither is Qt. Or ALSA. Or vlc/ffmpeg. Firefox is not gnu. sendmail, postfix, apache, php, perl, python, mysql, postgresql, db, ssh are not gnu.

A system with just linux kernel + gnu isn't usable in any way. It isn't even an OS - because without perl you can't really build the kernel.

But GNU-Taliban like you just ignore that fact and annoy everybody around them. People like you actually hurt Free/open software. thanks a lot for your assholish way.

Now just go back and sniff RMS farts. You seem to like that a lot.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ComputerNerd
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

On one hand you demand that everybody acknowledges the 'work' of the 'gnu project' - the people behind it got ripped off by the FSF already, so you actually demand to acknowledge the great doing of the FSF.
What do you mean how did they get ripped off?
_________________
http://geekwithcomputer.com/ A website about programming and electronics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComputerNerd wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

On one hand you demand that everybody acknowledges the 'work' of the 'gnu project' - the people behind it got ripped off by the FSF already, so you actually demand to acknowledge the great doing of the FSF.
What do you mean how did they get ripped off?


Please don't ignore the rest. Just to argue this minor point. Thanks a lot.

And it is obvious how they got ripped off.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 84
Location: Detroit, Michigan - The Home of Rock and Roll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People like you, OP, make me wish cloud computing from Microsoft was a good idea. The fee for service model is so much more natural and I'd rather just pay for what I use than have to acknowledge every single time I use software that you deigned it important enough to create...30 years ago. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Now why don't you go cure Malaria or something.
_________________
Freedom is the oxygen of the soul. -Moshe Dayan

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum