View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to impliment a little tar and bzip script for my recent incarnation of gentoo on my desktop, back up everything except home and put it on my 60 gig backup harddrive, so I can just reimage everything when I break it in about 4.3219 seconds. I constantly try new packages that break stuff, I unamask willy nilly and such.
I like RH when I used it, never got slack or deb to work with geforce3 when I tried them, so I gave up, although I am sure I could do it now, i was a linux n00b (more than now) before.
Mandrake is cool, some people love it, I hated it. Windows....
I thought aboutputting windows onmy desktop and dual booting so I could play games with more compatiblility.... but then I realized that was a bad idea... wine works great for every game I own, or there is a linux version of it.
Personally, if it were possible to make a rpm out of source you compile from portage then back it up, and then to reinstall you would just do a stage3, which takes like half an hour, then just isntall all your rpms again.
It would be as good as RH or drake, but it would still be gentoo, and take about an hour to get back to a full working system ;)
I am rambling.... :lol:
jlg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squanto!
man emerge
look specially at -b and -k (you don't need rpm)
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlg wrote:
squanto!
man emerge
look specially at -b and -k (you don't need rpm)

yes yes, but I am saying, if you want rpm compatibility for other distro's and what not. So you can have rpms of your fav programs and use them on any linux ;)
Sorry that I am confusing, I even confused myself on that post....
jlg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you need redhat or mandrake when there is gentoo 8)

yes! yes! I'm crazee about gentoo :D

Last edited by jlg on Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlg wrote:
yes! yes! I'm an crazee about gentoo :D

Most of us are ;)
Only wish it could do my homework for me... :cry:
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Lycoris idea, I would scrap it. I just downloaded it, from the one mirror that would actually allow it, from Australia, I am in the us.
Installed it and it "Just didn't work" (tm).
Their grub didn't overwrite the win2k bootloader correctly and now my ibm t22 laptop won't even startup. Ah well.
I am currently downloading Yopper linux, at a sustained rate of 600KBytes / sec. and in the process of burning it.
Will update with my thoughts ;)

EDIT: Well, Yoper looks promising, but needs alot of tweaking once installed, and it uses lilo, I am partial to grub myself ;). I think they have a good thing started, but it isn't a very polished install process. I am probably just going to break down and spend a weekend installing gentoo again on my laptop after I get home for winter break. Ah well, c'est la vie.
I am downloading the "evil" linux (rh) right now, gonna see what all that hype is about.... aka going to put gentoo on in about 4 hours from now :mrgreen:
den_RDC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Suses (5.x and 6.x some time ago), slackware and debian ...
But gentoo is far superior to all of them (except slack, wich is pretty good for slow boxes an to build routers and such)...
I don't know why, but gentoo just rules - tried hard (really hard) to break stuff in gentoo and i am always able to fix things (although reiserfs freaked the living daylights out of me one, but reiserfsck --rebuild-tree fixed it) .. i run kde3 with everything but the kitchen sink installed, and i tend to "tweak" everything in sight, and gentoo hasn't failed me once, no crash, no speeddrops, nothing...

i thinks it's the "sane" logic behind gentoo that makes me like it so much (suse turned me nuts with their very eh "customized" way of doing things)

and portage is adorable :)
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
with their very eh "customized" way of doing things

Yea, I second that idea. Although I would have to say it applies to most every distro. Even portage has a flair to it that will setup a system in a particular way, but atleast if you want to change it you can just mess around with the ebuilds and such. ( much easier than messin with rpms I presume ;) )
I must say that Red Hat has impressed me with RH 8.0. Granted it will not be staying on my laptop after my finals are over, but none the less it is a very nice setup and I think they are getting close to putting together a very simple yet powerful setup.

Red Carpet from Ximian is a very nice compliment to rh, and I think they should have used it instead of their own update util, but oh well. One thing that freaks me out is you have to choose to install the kernel source. Jeeshe. Mark me stupid, but I thought all Linux users knew what a kernel was. Guess not. But hey, atleast it may lead to more wide spread adoption. Maybe I will get my girl friend to install a linux distro over xmas break.... Now there's a thought.
Prolly not Gentoo, since windows troubleshooting is something I do once a week for her, but then again, maybe gentoo would be a good idea. Gonna have to remember sshd ;) to fix all them special problems :mrgreen:
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i too am now back under the mighty wing of gentoo. i tried redhat 8 and i couldnt stand it. so many issues. for starters, kernel sources arent included. when i downloaded what i thought were the kernel sources, it turned out it was a "custom" compiled kernel for my proc.

after rebooting into my new athlon kernel i tried to get the kernel-sources rpm and when i installed that and tried to do "make menuconfig" it errored out. turns out, i managed to somehow hose everything right from the get go. unfortunately, i had no idea how to fix it being new to redhat and their way of doing things is very different.

so here i am back to gentoo. i still dual boot win2k though. i need it for my storecreator apps and counter-strike.

whoever previously mentioned slackware being good for slow boxes was right. slack is probably the second best linux distro out there (for power users). it makes a great linux router ;)

ryan
mr-simon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used some non-gentoo linuxes.

From fave to worst, based on my own personal experience with them:

Gentoo - I love it!
SuSE - easy, lots of hardware support, lovely gui-tools, a no-brainer if you want to do something simple.
Debian - apt-get is cool.
Slackware - Some annoying defaults, and it's a bit fiddly.
Red Hat - Grr. I hate RPM. And it has a habit of breaking horribly when you compile stuff from source tarballs instead of using "their" RPMs.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, rh is gonna get wiped soon. very soon.

Got dsl today at home, got back from college after finals last night and got dsl up and going this afternoon. Found a really cool distro called "ClarkConnect". Based on RH, but makes installing a router very very very very (you get the idea) easy. Just install, tell it that it should get dhcp from dsl line and boom! done.
;)
Gonna have to hand it to them, even got a little firewall and smb and nfs and dhcp and squid and everything, total install took up 400MB out of my 2gigger. Although my router is very overpowered, 450Mhz K6 that used to be in my dorm room will now sadly be staying home :(
But atleast I don't have 5 computers at home sharing a 56k line anymore ;) :mrgreen:

-Andrew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: