happy meal chipset net seed issues.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilbur989
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: happy meal chipset net seed issues. Reply with quote

I am in the process of trying to install 2004.1 onto an enterprise 450 with 3 x 400 U sparcII 's and the lovely onboard adapter. My network connection speeds can only be descriped as dismal at best. In trying to controll an install through SSH I can't get to far before the session completely locks up from slow to no connectivity. What I need to know is that is this a common issue with the standard net interface or does this one seem to have a problem. If I ping the interface remotly it will ALWAYS timout one out of 4 responses. When downloading packages I commonly only get from 0 to 25 kbps on a t1 line to any of the servers that I usually get 100+ kbps on an x86 box. If it is the onboard interface can I just use any pci netcard to connect to the backplane or do I need to get a sun card.

Sorry if this sounded a little disjointed I'm just a little frustrated trying to get this to work for about a months time but always haveing to restart the install for variuos reasons :-(

-Jeremy
wilbur989
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok nevermind, I did find an answer for problem. It does look like the hardware is a little flakey. If I set the card to work at 10 MBps versus autodetect or 100 it is very stable. Odd but whatever. The only other issue I'm having at the moment is that if I setup the 4 drives in a SW raid format some of the drives will loose there partitioning after reboot. Strange...

-Jeremy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: