Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elotemuygrande
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've messed with a number of settings, but to no avail... As to changing the screen resolution, I tried that briefly and the Icons were still a bit small. Besides, I'm used to 1600x1200:-) What I would like to do is have something with sensible sized windows to be used similar to expose or skippy/metacity. I'm pretty sure I saw one of taviso's screenshots with an expose lookalike that didn't use the FvwmIconMan...

My end goal is a desktop that foregoes all of the distracting desktop nonsense like titlebars, taskbars and the like...What I'm going to do very soon is have no taskbars, titlebars, or launch menus to distract me, and instead just have a run dialog/xterm with completion and something like expose for task switching. Doing it this way makes everything easily controlled via the keyboard, eliminating unneccesary rodent use :-)
Darkael
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Elotemuygrande:
Are these icons big enough for you? (they can be bigger if you want)

The icon max size is indeed hardcoded in FVWM, so I made a little patch to bypass that (here). This is the ugliest patch in the universe, but it seems to work. I had to delete an entire part of the code, because just changing the constant MAX_ALLOWABLE_ICON_DIMENSION doesn't seem to work.

About Expose, taviso has a FvwmExpose function in his config, which is just a menu with a list of windows with their screenshots (example)
But if you want a true Expose à la OSX, you'll need either Xorg composite extension (and either code an expose-like yourself, or use skippy), or port your fvwm config to Metisse (which has an Expose function built-in, it's really ugly, but if you can code you can try to modify it....)
Elotemuygrande
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Thanks KarnEvil! and what an amazingly quick response! Squinting at those little icons was making me wish I could affort LASIK. I can't wait to get home and try it out...

Yes, that patch made me giggle a bit, but certainly no worse than some of the surgeries I've performed :-) If I get copious amounts of time this week I'll poke around and see if there's a less invasive way and pass it along, but for now I'm just excited to finally have a working workaround :-) Thanks again!

I have ATI cards, so the new X.org extensions won't be acceptable until ATI gets off its rear, but this Metisse project sounds awesome, at least in concept...FVWM derivative that draws using OpenGL...I'll have to at least give that one a try. But I'm a little afraid the project won't have the longevity or support of other environments, so I may just try to hack the traditional for now...

Edit:
I just downloaded the FVWM source at what I jokingly refer to as "work", and from what I can see the max_icon_width, and max_icon_height in that bit of code that was edited out seem to be set by the IconSize window property. Two maxes defined...one user specified and one hard coded... We'll see how much surgery is required when I get home...
VT_Hokie04
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the exactly the right place to ask this, but I've recently begun trying out fvwm and I've got most of the menu finished and now I'm trying the windows decorations. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any that look similar to plastik in KDE:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=7559

I really like how it looks and its very slick IMO, so I guess my questions is whether or not someone has set up a windows decoration similar to this and if so how. Thanks in advance for any help! :wink:

VT_Hokie04
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen such a theme ported to Fvwm. I'm rather interested if you succeed in doing so. Be carefull though, as the rounded corner are tricky and cannot be achieved completely. Owing to transparency issue (instead of translency like for the menu), the window overlapping lets appear artefacts.
Registered user #30505

Last edited by pem on Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
TerminalAddict
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted about 3 days ago

I've started with taviso's config (like everybody else ;) )
and so far have this
http://loudas.com/image_gallery/albums/ScreenShots/trinity-20050212.png
xcompmgr has been turned of (after about 2 minutes of playing)

I'm trying to figure something out at the mo'
I've boung Alt+H to show the HiddenConsole
I'd like the HiddenConsole to gain focus and stay "un-Hidden" until I Alt+H again.

meaning: Alt+H = toggle HideenConsole visibility
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there... has anyone an URL for some good window-decorations? I remembered that Ikaro made a package some time ago... but I can't find it on his website.
Darkael
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TerminalAddict:
A way to do this is to change dynamically the key-binding. I don't use an hidden console, so I don't know the details but you can do something like that:
Code:

Key H A M ShowConsole

AddToFunc ShowConsole
+ I FunctionUsedToShowTheHiddenConsole
+ I All (HiddenConsole) Focus
+ I Key H A M HideConsole

AddToFunc HideConsole
+ I FunctionUsedToHideTheHiddenConsole
+ I All (HiddenConsole) Focus
+ I Key H A M ShowConsole

Adapt it to your needs.
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VT_Hokie04 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the exactly the right place to ask this, but I've recently begun trying out fvwm and I've got most of the menu finished and now I'm trying the windows decorations. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any that look similar to plastik in KDE:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=7559

I really like how it looks and its very slick IMO, so I guess my questions is whether or not someone has set up a windows decoration similar to this and if so how. Thanks in advance for any help! :wink:

VT_Hokie04

So, I've decided to start a pixmap theme. It's incomplete but here's what can be achived: theme preview.

Based on a Nvidia-Windows theme, I've started a re-design for Fvwm using Inkscape. Using Gimp, I've resized and sliced my pixmaps. It's not finished but I guess some elements could be usefull if your start your KDE theme porting.

:? While writting this post, I've noticed that gm import from GraphicMagick has a bug. It does not handle the composition extension properly.
Registered user #30505
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pem wrote:

So, I've decided to start a pixmap theme. It's incomplete but here's what can be achived: theme preview.

Based on a Nvidia-Windows theme, I've started a re-design for Fvwm using Inkscape. Using Gimp, I've resized and sliced my pixmaps. It's not finished but I guess some elements could be usefull if your start your KDE theme porting.

:? While writting this post, I've noticed that gm import from GraphicMagick has a bug. It does not handle the composition extension properly.

That is very pretty. Keep up the good work!
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coin wrote:
Hello there... has anyone an URL for some good window-decorations? I remembered that Ikaro made a package some time ago... but I can't find it on his website.

I just went down to gnome-look.org and, ehrm, borrowed my pixmaps :wink:

(For those whos haven't seen it yet: http://www.lair.be/shots/fvwm2-2004-12-02-193004.png.
It's an old shot but it hasn't really changed (well, it has, but only under the hood).

More shots here.
Gold Fish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pem

Do you think you could tarball you .fvwm directory, so the rest of us can play with your set up? It looks awsome!

You've probably been asked this before, but whats the bar on the bottom?

That bar in the cornor (part of the background) is also a pretty cool design... I might try to make an mpd player out of it... hmmm....

~Gold Fish
ratbert90
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is going to sound really stupid. But here goes.

How on earth do I get my icons just to minimize to the FvwmTaskBar? Whenever I minimize them, they create a icon on the desktop, which I don't want.

I have been banging my head against this for hours.

Also, How do I get fvwmTaskBar to swallow the pager? This one is easy, but I am so close to finishing fvwm2rc3.0 that I just wan't to finish it :)
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold Fish wrote:
Do you think you could tarball you .fvwm directory, so the rest of us can play with your set up? It looks awsome!

Tanks and I will share it when it's done (+few things to fix). You can have my old conf on my site.

Gold Fish wrote:
You've probably been asked this before, but whats the bar on the bottom?
It's a simple FvwmButtons. I've borrowed some ideas from Jefklak and Uune. I've mixed them with my owns.

Gold Fish wrote:
That bar in the cornor (part of the background) is also a pretty cool design... I might try to make an mpd player out of it... hmmm....
I've have'nt set any player yet ... If you want, I can upload my SVG so that you can take design parts out of it.

~Gold Fish[/quote]
Registered user #30505
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratbert90 wrote:

How on earth do I get my icons just to minimize to the FvwmTaskBar? Whenever I minimize them, they create a icon on the desktop, which I don't want.

Also, How do I get fvwmTaskBar to swallow the pager? This one is easy, but I am so close to finishing fvwm2rc3.0 that I just wan't to finish it :)

Code:
Style * NoIcon

That should do it :)
ratbert90
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBlackDragon wrote:
ratbert90 wrote:

Code:
Style * NoIcon

/me beats his head against his desk. Thank you so much. :)

http://ratbert.unknown-insanity.com/Images/fvwm/fvwm-3.0/fvwm3.0_rc1.png
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratbert90 wrote:

You should avoid using FvwmTaskbar. It's a bit buggy. Under this thread and few posts ago, theBlackDragon has show me how to setup FvwmIconMan (by the way, thank you theBlackDragon). You can achieve the same results with it. Anyway, either the FvwmTaskBar or the FvwmIconMan cannot swallow your pager. If I follow your point, I guess you should use a FvwmButton that would swallow your FvwmIconMan and the FvwmPager as well.

@all:
I 've just updated a theme preview: here. It was a bit long caus' I've decided to rewrite some mechanics to better match the FvwmThemes policy concerning the colorset and to enhance further theming integration by use of variables. It still requires some work especially on my docking panel and its pager. I will maybe also add a little wireless or volume level applet on the right of my top bar (it's so trendy).
Registered user #30505
aminal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pem wrote:
ratbert90 wrote:

You should avoid using FvwmTaskbar. It's a bit buggy. Under this thread and few posts ago, theBlackDragon has show me how to setup FvwmIconMan (by the way, thank you theBlackDragon). You can achieve the same results with it. Anyway, either the FvwmTaskBar or the FvwmIconMan cannot swallow your pager. If I follow your point, I guess you should use a FvwmButton that would swallow your FvwmIconMan and the FvwmPager as well.

@all:
I 've just updated a theme preview: here. It was a bit long caus' I've decided to rewrite some mechanics to better match the FvwmThemes policy concerning the colorset and to enhance further theming integration by use of variables. It still requires some work especially on my docking panel and its pager. I will maybe also add a little wireless or volume level applet on the right of my top bar (it's so trendy).

Holy shit that's cool looking. Great job!
aminal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratbert90 wrote:
theBlackDragon wrote:
ratbert90 wrote:

Code:
Style * NoIcon

/me beats his head against his desk. Thank you so much. :)

http://ratbert.unknown-insanity.com/Images/fvwm/fvwm-3.0/fvwm3.0_rc1.png

Yours too. Damn you people and your creativity!!

:)
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pem wrote:

I've followed your advice and changed from Taskbar to IconMan. However, I miss two things from the TaskBar. One, the little space left uncovered by the taskbar (see my desktop here, in the top left corner). I like to have a little space free for desktop wheeling (got used to fluxbox). I suppose I can live a 1 pixel space free at the bottom, so this is not a big issue. The other thing is a clock. I can put a clock at the same place, but I suppose it will be covered by the IconMan. Can the space occupied by the IconMan be limited?

Thanks.
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to proceed is to swallow your IconMan under an FvwmButtons bar. I've done that under the conf I'm working on. It will provide you the possibility to resize as you wish the IconMan and to swallow a clock easily done with a simple FvwmScript (or an xclock if you want to have an analogic kind of clock). I've just replied this idea into the french forum. The code part should be understandable. The first code concerns the conf of my FvwmIconMan and the second concerns the FvwmButton bar. As you will see under this last one, I've set up a width of 1367 pixels. Note that the colorset I've used matches the fvwm-theme indexing policy.
Registered user #30505

Last edited by pem on Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pem wrote:
The best way to proceed is to swallow your IconMan under an FvwmButtons bar. I've done that under the conf I'm working on. It will provide you the possibility to resize as you wish the IconMan and to swallow a clock easily done with a simple FvwmScript (or an xclock if you want to have an analogic kind of clock). I've just reply this idea into the french forum. The code part should be understandable. The first code concerns the conf of my FvwmIconMan and the second concerns the FvwmButton bar. As you will see under this last one, I've set up a width of 1367 pixels. Note that the colorset I've used matches the fvwm-theme indexing policy.

Très bonne idée, merci beaucoup ;).
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De nada :wink:
Registered user #30505
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, a quick question: Every third post in this thread mentions "taviso's config". As amazing as it sounds, I absolutely refuse to search through 87 pages of thread to find it. Could someone edit the first post of this thread (and possibly of the first one) with a link to it? Meanwhile, impatient me is slowly trying to write his own .fvwmrc, but is sticking with Fluxbox while he doesn't hold his breath.
aminal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arainach wrote:
Hey, a quick question: Every third post in this thread mentions "taviso's config". As amazing as it sounds, I absolutely refuse to search through 87 pages of thread to find it. Could someone edit the first post of this thread (and possibly of the first one) with a link to it? Meanwhile, impatient me is slowly trying to write his own .fvwmrc, but is sticking with Fluxbox while he doesn't hold his breath.

Taviso's config.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 20 of 30

Jump to: