libz.a relocation R_X86_64_32 error - many packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacemunky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: libz.a relocation R_X86_64_32 error - many packages Reply with quote

For I haven't been able to update several packages including cups, mozilla, libxml2, etc due to the error below:

Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.1/../../../libz.a(crc32.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.1/../../../libz.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

I've searched in this forum, and I've googled. Recompiling with -fPIC does nothing.. BSD people say this too. This is all I know about the libz.a file:

root] lib # file libz.a
libz.a: current ar archive
[root] lib # ll libz.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 103086 Aug 28 11:39 libz.a

Does anyone know how I can solve this? And it seems to be only happening to me - anyone know why? My system became fubared after emerge told me to update my profile from 2004.1 to 2004.2, but that should've been trivial.
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinstall zlib. none of those apps should be using libz.a, they should use libz.so. this leads me to believe you dont have that file and hit the strange zlib bug i fixed a nice chunk of time ago.
spacemunky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That did the trick!

A while ago, I manually rebuilt zlib after having some problems (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=214898&highlight=)

The correct thing to do would've been reintalling zlib via emerge, but I didn't know this :D

Problem solved - over and out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: