Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do I *completly* remove a package (courier)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: How do I *completly* remove a package (courier) Reply with quote

I've been having immense problems in getting courier-imap to authenticate anything. I figure that somehow I've done something that's screwed something up or missed something... :?

So what I think I'd like to try next is removing everything to do with couier-imap (and courier - I put that on first, then umerged it before emerging courier-imap). Perhaps PAM too? or could that be disasterous if I didn't get it working and needed to reboot? Then if I can find a surefire up-to-date install and configuration guide for courier-imap for gentoo with PAM authentication I hope to be able to get it working. If I can't then I'll be leaving gentoo to go back to Red Hat, which I'd rather not have to do - but I really want to have a working IMAP server. I know there are other IMAP servers, but it's more the authentication issue and configuration - if you want to tell me of a surefire IMAP server install/configuration and support me through doing it then you're welcome - don't jsut say use Cynus or whatever...

So what can I do to completly remove courier? And I don't want to start from the LiveCD as I haven't got a stage 2 or 3 that worked (european mirros always gave my MD5 errors, the one I got from the US wouldn't save on my system using lynx) - as I don't want to spend another week or two compiling from stage 1 onwards (my gentoo machine is a Celeron 300A with 128MB RAM).
fyerk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if emerge unmerge courier-imap doesn't work, I'd use qpkg to view a list of the files that it installed, and then remove those by hand.

Code:

# qpkg -f courier-imap > imap_files
# emerge unmerge courier-imap
[look at imap_files and and delete anything unmerge didn't get]

As far as IMAP servers go, UW-IMAP is probably the easiest to get working. It's built to work "out-of-the-box" so you just emerge it and go. There are no configure files save adding the startup options to [x]inetd.
Gav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I'll check out UW-IMAP and see... :roll:

I can't seem to find (in a quick 5 min google after trying it) the qpkg command. Is it part of something else? Where can I get it?

Quote:
from the UW-IMAP documentation
Is there support for qmail and the maildir format?
There is no support for qmail or the maildir format in our distribution, nor are there any plans to add such support. Maildir support may be available from third parties.

I was hoping to use maildir's as that's what I've started with and see its advantages. :cry: I think I'll see if I can get UW-IMAP workin though and then switch back once I can get an IMAP server that's maildir friendly working... :)
fyerk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qpkg is part of gentoolkit
Code:

# emerge gentoolkit

Gav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emerged uw-imap, but it doesn't seem to have the /etc/init.d/ startup routines... How do I start it?

{edit} I've found some documentation saying about /etc/xinetd.d/imap, but it seems I don't have permissions as root to run it???

Last edited by Gav on Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the gentoolkit installed. The resulting imap_files is nothing - the file is empty. I don't believe it as I still have (at least) an /etc/courier-imap directory with the configuration files in... ANd yes, I did stop courier-imap first!
fyerk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UW-Imap is started via the xinetd superdaemon, so to start it, run xinetd
Code:

# /etc/init.d/xinetd start

unmerge most likely did not remove the /etc/courier-imap directory because it contains config files. If you really want to get rid of courier, just remove that directory by hand.
Code:

# rm -r /etc/courier-imap

Gav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edge wrote:
UW-Imap is started via the xinetd superdaemon, so to start it, run xinetd
Code:

# /etc/init.d/xinetd start

no such file or directory ???

Quote:

unmerge most likely did not remove the /etc/courier-imap directory because it contains config files. If you really want to get rid of courier, just remove that directory by hand.
Code:

# rm -r /etc/courier-imap

okay...
fyerk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, looks like you need to go ahead and install xinetd too :)

Code:

# emerge xinetd

Gav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edge wrote:
Hmm, looks like you need to go ahead and install xinetd too :)

That worked - thanks for all your help! :P

I tried cleaning out courier and then reinstalling it. I actually tried the pop3 service and it worked, but not the IMAP. I would like courier-imap to be my IMAP server rather than UW etc, as I more-or-less have the other parts I want (to use maildir's) working now - just this annoying IMAP authentication problem... Anyone with courier-imap working please post your config files!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: