Weird Hardware problem on my AMD64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omschaub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Weird Hardware problem on my AMD64 Reply with quote

Hello all

I have a REALLY weird hardware issue going on and I have searched this forum and all of Google, and I seem to be the only one having this issue, so I thought maybe someone might be able to help.

ChainTech K8T800 MB with an old AMD64 2800 chip on it.

I have a gigabit switch and so I want to put a gigabit NIC on this MB. So I went out and bought a generic Gigabit Nic. Plugged it in and all seemed fine. Then I tried to move a large file to it and 'pop' the NIC card was gone.. crashed.. I went into /etc/init.d and restarted the net.eth0 and it came back just fine. I tried again...crash .. So I took off the cover to see if it was seated correctly and I swear to you I almost burned my hand on the card.. it is THAT hot! I have never heard of a NIC card overheating (and apparently neither has Google) ... so I thought maybe it was a faulty nic.. so I went out and purchased a nice DLink one. Plugged it in and was just goofing around in the bios to make sure everything was ok and the sucker got SUPER hot!

Quote:
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 11)

Things I have noticed about this problem:
1. I do not have to be in Gentoo or transferring for it to happen
2. If I plugin it into my 100 switch, it cools down.. but if I just plug it into my giga switch (Dlink DGS1005D) I can feel it heating up within 20 seconds!
3. New network cable did not help
4. Other (windows) computers plugged into this Switch do not have this problem at all!
5. Different port on the switch did not help
6. Moving the PCI card to a different slot did not help
7. Audigy PCI card and NVidia PCI GeForce card are NOT overheating at all!
8. I underclocked the MB frequency/CPU frequency/ and memory freq and the problem remained

I even went out and bought 'stick-on' heat fins for the main chip and that helps, but it still overheats in the Gigabit mode. If I put an 80mm fan directly in front of the card with the cover off .. it does keep it cool enough to work -- and it seems to work fine -- fast 30-40MB transfers.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas? Thanks
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very odd... Are you sure the problem is the cards, rather than the particular PCI slot? i.e. have you tried the gig nic in a different slot.

I can't think how or why else a network card could/would overheat, I've literally never heard of it before...

Take it nothing's overvolted?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple questions:
Regarding item 1, what were you running when not running Gentoo?
Related to item 4, have you tried this card in one of those Windows machines to see if it has the same problem there?
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be pretty damned unlucky to get 2 new NIC's with exactly the same all-but-unheard-of problem... It's gotta be the mobo/pci slot I'd have thought...
omschaub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drwook wrote:
Would be pretty damned unlucky to get 2 new NIC's with exactly the same all-but-unheard-of problem... It's gotta be the mobo/pci slot I'd have thought...

I tend to agree.. but then I switch the Nvidia card with the NIC card -- both being PCI and I have no issues with the Nvidia and then the NIC starts to overheat in a different slot.

So I feel kinda stuck.

As for when/what OS ... does not seem to really matter. It starts to heat up just being in the BIOS.. then when you transfer heavily on it, it will overheat

The D-Link card was tried in another system and got 'warm' but not hot.

I am starting to wonder if my D-Link switch is putting out too much voltage or something. But all of my other comps have onboard Giga nics and they seem to function fine with no overheating.

I am pretty much at a loss for this one. I do not have the money to go out and see if it is the Switch, so I guess I will just have to keep it in the 100 Switch I have.. it seems to keep it cool enough.
omschaub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drwook wrote:
Take it nothing's overvolted?

No.. but I have always tried it with the same powersupply. Do you think this could be a powersupply issue? The Chaintech mb does not have ANY onboard sensors to tell me the voltages.. so I might just have to swap the whole PS.

I have an old Sempron + MB lying around.. I will fire that up and see how it handles the card later. Thanks for the thoughts.. I will keep you guys up to date on my very weird problem.
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've a spare PSU around, or can spare it from one of the other machines for a few minutes, it would be good to either rule that out or not as the case may be.
omschaub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different power supply.. different MB and processor .. different cable and different port on the switch. Different Linux -- I just used Damn Small Linux on a CD to boot it up. Unfortunately, the NIC still heats up fairly toasty. I did not have the ability to do much transfers with it though, to see if it got too hot to crash.

I will leave this alone and just deal with it in 100 base mode, but could one of you guys answer me a question. Do any of you have a stand alone gigabit network card that is connected to a gigabit switch? If so, while your comp is running, could you pop the case and see how hot the main chip gets? If it is warm to above warm but not hot, then I will leave this alone... but I am very curious.

If it is cold for you, then I will consider other problems on my end.. maybe the switch??

Thanks
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a dozen machines with gig nics in at work, I'll post here Monday to let you know as only got 100 meg net at home.

Never noticed one get hot before though...
omschaub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drwook wrote:
I've got a dozen machines with gig nics in at work, I'll post here Monday to let you know as only got 100 meg net at home.

Never noticed one get hot before though...

Thanks! that info will help ease my mind -- one way or the other!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: