How to install 1.4 without livecd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: How to install 1.4 without livecd Reply with quote

I use an LCD iMac. I want to test Linux on the PPC, and considering that I use x86 Gentoo Linux, PPC Gentoo Linux was the logical choice.

I go to the ibiblio gentoo mirror, and I find that there is no 1.4 PPC install cd, only a 1.2 cd. I want a 1.4 cd, but I already have a PPC 1.2 CD. Is it possible to make a 1.4 cd from source? Or do I have to use 1.2 and change profile symlinks?
samson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here,

what I have done ... booted from 1.2 cd and than downloaded the stage file for 1.4 onto the harddisk and tar x... onto the harddisk ..

so now I have a 1.4.1.1 on my powerbook..

hth
alex
Principal Skinner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a gentoo n00b, so pardon me for this possibly ignorant question.

The 1.2 CD will come with gcc 2.95.3 or so, right? Then, was that the compiler used to compile everything? Does the answer depend on which stage you installed?

And, are they ever going to just put an ISO for 1.4PPC up? In other threads I saw references to same (messages in August saying the ISOs would be up RSN), but no ISO or excuses...[/quote]
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the august thread referred to the 1.4_beta ISO which is up and has been for a long time.

You can easily install the 1.4 as samson described above, boot from the 1.2 ISO, then wget the tarball of your choice (1.4 stuff), untar and continue installation instructions from there.

and for Principal Skinner: it does depend on what stage tarballs you use. the 1.2 stuff is gcc 2.95.3, the 1.4 stuff is gcc 3.2
Principal Skinner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: gcc 3.2-compiled install from 1.2 ISO/Where is 1.4 PPC Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:
the august thread referred to the 1.4_beta ISO which is up and has been for a long time.

Where??? I've been looking at the ibiblio mirror http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/ppc/ , but all that's there is tarballs (can't reach the gentoo site now for some reason; I'm at a foreign computer).

Quote:

You can easily install the 1.4 as samson described above, boot from the 1.2 ISO, then wget the tarball of your choice (1.4 stuff), untar and continue installation instructions from there.

and for Principal Skinner: it does depend on what stage tarballs you use. the 1.2 stuff is gcc 2.95.3, the 1.4 stuff is gcc 3.2

I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to start with a 1.2 ISO and end up with everything compiled with GCC 3.2? Your reply seemed to confuse stages of tarballs with Gentoo versions (or at least it confused me :) )
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: gcc 3.2-compiled install from 1.2 ISO/Where is 1.4 PPC Reply with quote

Principal Skinner wrote:
I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to start with a 1.2 ISO and end up with everything compiled with GCC 3.2?

Yes. The ISO version only affects what you are running during the install. Once you have compiled your own kernel and booted with it, the only thing that matters is what tarball you used.
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1.4 beta was not the release candidate. The neta stuffs was built with a gcc 3.2 snapshot, which they changed the ABI on since then. As suggested above is the best method. use the 1.2 ISO, then download the 1.4_rc1 tarball and install from that.
runt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:
the 1.4 beta was not the release candidate. The neta stuffs was built with a gcc 3.2 snapshot, which they changed the ABI on since then. As suggested above is the best method. use the 1.2 ISO, then download the 1.4_rc1 tarball and install from that.

thats what i'm doing, although i wish i had a slightly newer iBook atm.
The Odd Realist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using the 1.2 cd and then downloading the 1.4 stage 2 tarball, and halfway through the untarring it throws an error, I tried it several times and to no avail I couldn't get it to untar the archive

any help?!
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you didn't put it on your freshly formatted hard drive partition and ran out of ram space maybe? ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: