View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best alternative for sound forge? I have some albums I want to cut and burn It'd be nice to keep gentoo booted.
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IMHO this whole jack/ardour stuff is not ready for testing yet, al least on my box...

well, it is all beta software after all... this being said, I have succesfully overdubbed some vocals for two different tracks with jack/ardour.

ardour used to freeze my machine on playback of recorded material, but that has gone after i moved to the ck sources. I am quite impressed with it now and i am going to do more recordings this week with it. :twisted:

jack/ardour don't play so nice on my laptop which has a es1968 sound card, but then again it is only 300MHz with 128Mb ram.

Quote:
I have some albums I want to cut and burn It'd be nice to keep gentoo booted.

i would try sweep. it's not in portage but it is a straight forward

Code:

./configure
make
make install

to install it

audacity could be an alternative, although i don't think it handles large files very well.
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I probe ALSA's version to verify I'm using the compatible v0.6.0?
sarnold
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: what about legacy recordings? Reply with quote

Does it count if I use gentoo to digitize my old analog recordings of my college band? I'm just starting to go through my tapes; I've tried ecawave/ecasound for recording straight from line-in (audio tape).

I made a CD and some mp3s (now I need to start making oggs) with a sample on my old web site here

There's even some bizarro drawings by the drummer...

I've been too much a Dad and working stiff, and not enough of a weird musician lately, but I'd like to contribute something... Maybe a percussion track (since I also have some experience in ethnomusicology). I'll be checking back for the upload/download site for working samples and tracks. What's the status?

Steve
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the status?

good question. is Lanark still about? I think we still have to get some web space sorted to upload stuff.
I have 10 Mb of space with my ISP i never used. To be honest I know nothing about FTP and this kind of stuff :oops: , but I'm willing to share that to get us started.
mr-simon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I still have a Windows 2000 boot partition on my computer, and a couple of dedicated ultra-scsi drives, for doing music things. I'd like to be able to use Linux, as I still get frequent lockups and crashes... Unfortunately, the Nord Modular editor does not work on Linux, and there are no drivers for my Yamaha DS2416 24-channel soundcard.

Until there is, and there won't be, because [rant about how bad yamaha's product support snipped ;)] - I'll be languishing in dual-boot purgatory. *sigh*
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the latest GWN:
Quote:
Adds

The following developers recently joined the Gentoo team:

* Robert Coie (rac) -- perl, bughunting
* James Boddington (Aiken) -- Gentoo/SPARC, Gentoo/ARM
* Jon Ellis (jje) -- music stuffs
* Alastair Tse (liquidx) -- python, GNOME, Gentoo/ARM
* Ken Nowack (antifa) -- Gentoo Documentation

A developer for music stuff? can we find more info on that? I have tried Demudi in the past, and I am waiting to see what agnula will is going to contribute to the linux musician community. I always thought that Gentoo would be an ideal platform for Agnula. Not that it needs much alteration, but i think that gentoo would gain in having someone overseing the music packages, to have more coherence in the ebuilds and various path etc.. oh, and dedicated docs.
Am I just daydreaming, or is gentoo getting serious about music?
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'cmon on guys I'm running the ck sources 2.4.20-ck2 that get ALSA from WOLK 3.6.1 do I have ALSA v0.6.0? I've searched and can't seem to find the answer.
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
zenon, all I can say is that I run ck3, and i emerge alsa rc7, jack and ardour, and it works like a charm... I had to recompile jack and ardour after upgrading to gcc-3.2.
I just recorded some bass on a track, no xruns, smooth as a baby's bottom.

regor:
Quote:
Then I start ardour in another window:
Code:
# ardour
Ardour/GTK 0.330.2 running with libardour 0.641.0
Copyright 1999-2003 Paul Davis
Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
cannot determine shared memory segment for port segment key 0x0 (Invalid argument)
ardour: [ERROR]: No JACK server found.
Killed

I got that when starting jack and ardour from different directories, cd ~ b4 starting them seems to fix it
orb9
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To check the ALSA version try:
Code:
cat /proc/asound/version

Gives you something like:
Code:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.0rc6.
Compiled on Feb  4 2003 for kernel 2.4.20 (SMP) with versioned symbols.

zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks orb,
Code:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.0rc2 (Wed Jun 19 08:56:25 2002 UTC).
Compiled on Feb 21 2003 for kernel 2.4.20-ck2.

I guess the v0.6 warning is something I don't have to concern myself with then:)
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

french tony wrote:
Quote:
What's the status?

good question. is Lanark still about?

I'm here.
I've been absent from the forums from a long time now, but I still have that original idea around in mind. I MUST read the bunch of posts that this very thread had received, and when I do it, I want to join to the things onto the state they have now.

Regards
Sastraxi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an experienced saxophonist (tenor sax.), weak pianist, and okay digital musician (like making techno beats and stuff in a program like ModPlug Tracker).

Which reminds me, I've yet to find a tracking program for the linux environment, not too keen on emerging WINE just to use Modplug... =)
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: turn key Reply with quote

On a slight tangent, has anyone tried the turnkey linux audio thing (http://lulu.esm.rochester.edu/kevine/turnkey/home.html)? it looks interesting. It's currently for mandrake 9.0, but by the look of it, it could be converted =). I installed mandrake just for it. it's installing right now, but it's taking a while becuase it compiles from scratch (seems familiar somehow... ;)) I'll let you know how it is once it's installed, but i wanted to see if anyone else has used it before (wanted to post before i got lazy =).
--Andrew
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinkle:
I have wated to try to install planet ccrma on getoo, but I haven't had the time yet. Moreover, why should I install binaries on my gentoo?
Now here is an idea:
Why don't we make our own?
Portage is the ideal tool. What we need is more msic software ebuilds, then make one ebuild that depends on all of these packages. There is already a media-sound folder in the portage tree. We need to agree what packages are needed, and start making ebuilds...

Lets do it! I can I submit this idea to the dev team? filling a bug report?
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh...
Well, jack-cvs is installed on my machine and still freezes the whole box from time to time.
Ardour runs fine but the window is wider than my display and resizing is not possible...
I'm at the point where I must ask myself wether there is a point in still trying to use my linux laptop to remaster audio or just to stick with the neat win-tools I have.
At least I can record some audio (more or less comfortable) with audacity.
Even slab (several years old) still beats most of the software mentioned in this thread or in the tunkey collection. At least for me.
As soon as these progs are usuable I'll check them out. And speaking of testing and feedback to the developers the most promising project in my view is protux which I will watch closely.
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ardour runs fine but the window is wider than my display and resizing is not possible...

I think you can change that in the ardour.rc file.
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this post, I can't help but think of some cool things that we could do. But there needs to be some things done before we get there. First, we need to have more music ebuilds. I know that you guys are working on them, but i think that we need to make a how-to to go along w/ them, kinda like the desktop configuration guide, but for audio (duh). I am new to the whole computer recording thing, so i know what i WANT to do, but i have no idea how to do it... what programs to use etc. I would start this, but I have so little time available, that it would be another started, but only 10% done project =) But i think that a digital audio workstation (DAW) howto would be very useful, and probably get some new people over to gentoo. Lastly, and i know this is getting a bit crazy, maybe have an ebuild that will make a system that will be used exclusively as a DAW, not just a multi-purpose workstation. All the audio related patches tossed on the kernel, only the neccessary services running (to decrease latency), etc. Maybe have a customized window manager (like fluxbox, something simple) that's only real task is helping you get your music going. Keep it simple, but very powerful. I'm not sure if all this makes sense (been a long day), but just wanted to toss the idea out there.
--Andrew
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO installing the ck sources should be in that guide too... They are serving me very well and performing like a real champ. The Gentoo sources didn't agree with me and on my system had major latency problems with my HID mouse.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH I had problems with compiling alsa when using ck4-sources.
Now I switched back to vanilla+lowlatency-patch and everything's fine.
orb9
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi krinkle & french tony, i like the idea of having an ebuild to turn my gentoo box into a DAW. Something like the KDE ebuild, which emerges quite a lot of other things. Would be nice to just do:
Code:
emerge DAW

:?: Does anybody have experience how to make such a "master" ebuild ?
About the kernel stuff: What's the advantage of the ck-sources ? Personally i'm running vanilla-sources (low-latency-patched) without problems.
I would participate making a how-to... just give me a hint.
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orb9,
I talked with jje who is the developper in charge of music apps for gentoo. He has a backlog of ebuilds he needs to work on to commit to portage.
The first stage will be for him to get jack apps up and running and playing nice together. about "emerge daw": he likes the conccept of a umbrella ebuild for music apps, but not until there is enough apps in portage.
He suggested that docs sould be worked on.
Maybe you can share your experience with the vanilla sources (latency tests and stuff), so can have a round up of different kernel sources or something like that?
gigel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a classical guitar player(but i'm looking for an electric one)
so what software should i use to emulate a distorsion processor
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orb, for me the biggest selling point on the CK sources is the integrated ALSA. My ALSA module is compiled right into my kernel (actualy everything is right in my kernel... I like to have it all self-contained) and is THE reason I got it because compiling ALSA as a module just *would-not-work* on my setup. I got ALSA working in the kernel on the first compile, I still had some mouse problems so I upped the latency clock from the default 100 to ~5-600 and now gentoo has better latency than WinXp. If that patch is the same as the latency setting I set and you can get ALSA working then maybe the ck sources will just save you the time of applying the patches? although I think they've done a few more tweaks so it'll run better on a desktop... but don't quote me on that.

If you really want to do this integrated linux box one emerge thing you need to find the dude that devolped the mixing suite that looked like propellerhead's reason and get him to start maintaining it again.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you'd like to have some low-end-machine-comparison. Here are some testresults (though I'm not sure if I can read them...)

Both are from the same machine, a Dell Latitude CPt V466GT.
(Celeron 466, 256MB, 8,5GB hd udma66)
I'm running X4.3.0, wm was pwm as user, ./do_tests ran as root from an xterm:
./do_tests none 3 256 400000000

1.: With 2.4.0-ck3 sources
http://hometown.aol.de/wimdk/lowlat_benchmarks/2.4.20-ck3/html/3x256.html

2.: With vanilla 2.4.0 + lowlatency-patch applied
http://hometown.aol.de/wimdk/lowlat_benchmarks/2.4.20-lowlat/html/3x256.html

Alsa drivers are 0.9.0-r6.

As you can see, I have to tweak a bit I think ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: