View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all, I apologize for my absense last day or two.

french tony wrote:
count me in. and we can add electroaccoutic to the style list

Sure! you're counted!
About the styles, we don't make any list, although may be, for the nature of the tools we use, it will be around the electroacoustic/electronic/experimental fields, and being gentoo a cuting-edge distro, makes sense to have a bunch of avant-garde works, but it's also about freedom, so, any contribution is welcome.

iplayfast wrote:
We are adding a music track to the Gentoo ISO, so that people can play the Gentoo theme song (or something), after they've done the install?

I haven't think it so, but it's a nice idea, although I belive the original KiTaSuMbA idea with the music collaboration is making a separate CD, isn't it? [EDIT=confirmed] May be we can do an ebuild for downloading an ogg version of the cd... :wink:
About the gentoo instalation soundtrack, it is quite a challenge to make a multi-collaboration track! I like it.

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
well... you say lot of things, man... :wink:

About the "tips & tricks" I'm doing same with Ardour installation and CSound compilation w/ ALSA support, and soon for Sweep, SLab, and a couple of others, mainly CSound related.
About the ftp, it's a very good idea, we must think where.
About the CD making... well... I have no idea, I do CDR to sell, and I must admit that I have sold quite few... :wink: But let's make them! I like the donating idea.

(I don't know what happens to you with my site... it has plain flash, true, but don't crash me on any browser... I'll check it)

Let's do it some noise, people!! Spread the news to any gentoo musician you know, please.
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lanark wrote:
...and CSound compilation w/ ALSA support...

From the CSound mail-list:

Istvan Varga wrote:
Csound 4.22.5 is available
[...]
* New real-time audio code for Linux that uses ALSA (I wrote it for
0.9.0rc1, so newer versions may need some minor changes). The
advantages are:
* Full-duplex record/playback.
* -b (period size) and -B (hardware buffer size) can be
controlled separately (allows more control over latency and
timing jitter). It is recommended to set -b to some integer
multiple of ksmps (since most devices allow only power of
two buffer sizes, ksmps should be power of two too); for
example ksmps = 32, -b 32, and -B 128 (with --sched) can
provide reasonably good real-time performance.
* Input and output device can be selected by name (for a list of
available device names, type aplay -L) using command line
flags --pcm-input-device and --pcm-output-device.
* Multi-channel (quad etc.) output is supported (assuming that
the right device is selected by user; for example, with my
SB Live!, the "surround40" device should be used for 4 separate
channels).
* High resolution sample formats (32 bit integers and floats) are
supported (24 bit packed seems to be broken); also u-law but
not a-law. Note that with some devices (including the default),
floats and long ints can be played (with internal conversion by
driver) even on 16-bit soundcards.
[...]

The link for download the sources (patched) is: http://csounds.com/istvan/archive/misc/Csound-4.22.5.tar.bz2

So... my little efforts was useless... :wink:

I'll try Istvan version and continue working on the "tips & tricks" over it.
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The link for download the sources (patched) is: http://csounds.com/istvan/archive/misc/Csound- 4.22.5.tar.bz2

have you had any luck with that yet?
i certainly dont... :cry:
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

french tony wrote:
have you had any luck with that yet?

not at all... I keep having a trouble with an undefined function on main.c; I guess it may be a headers problem. I post it onto the CSound list, so I'm waiting for an answer...
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, has anyone manage to get Cecilia working?
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Fun. For something like this I'd probably just do a Duo with my Bass player, we've been writing songs on Acoustic guitars together for years. (think Tenacious D-ish, but sometimes more serious, always more vulgar, and a little more punkrock) If i can come up with something I'll just post a link to the mp3 in this thread.
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhedd wrote:
If i can come up with something I'll just post a link to the mp3 in this thread.

Thank you!! Welcome to the gang!
Be careful, you must record your performance with Gentoo tools only (see a few posts up); but don't worry, we don't fix the rules yet, so any contribution is worth the post!!

Regards
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only "tools" I'd Really need are Lame and the equivalent of windows sndrec32 ;) i don't even think I've seen something that simple in Gentoo :)
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys.. what happened? Nothing since Nov 18? Excuse me... let's get thing thing rolling here...

a) what do we need?
b) what do we have? (other then people)
c) what don't we have?

a) Software. Anyone have any good software for multi-tracking? What about MIDI? I do some mad stuff in MIDI, but I've never done any MIDI in Linux. I use Sonar 2.0XL in Windows. Awsome program, is there anything that I can write stuff in, in Linux?

b) We have people. What kind of music do you all play? I'm a rock drummer/keyboard wanna be... right... electronica u all do? Can we have some rock on there too? What about other genre's?

c) What don't have any decent Gentoo-ized documentation. I'll work on that this weekend maybe... I don't know, if I can figure it out myself that is...

What kind of hardware do you all have? Anyone ever gotten a Digidesign Digi 002 to work under Linux? HOW?! I've herd rumours someone has....

Let's, for now, focus on what we want to do. We want to make a CD of Gentoo people's music. How are we going to pick who goes on the CD? What if we have 45 people who want to do this? We can't fit all that on one.. even two CDs. Who is going to set the rules on what can and cannot be on there? Censorship my friends.

My suggestion is to make one person, or board of people (an odd number pref.) over this. That way, either the one person can choose the rules or whatever, or the board can vote on it. See where I'm goin with this?

I've been working with pro audio alot over the past few years, and I've got a good ear. That's the big thing I can offer. I can mix good. I can make things sound good. I can hear things most people don't. I also can get a band together for at least one song that's already written, for the most part, I'm ready to go personally. How are you all coming along?

Just my $0.02.

-ee99ee2
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea guys, I hope it goes somewhere...

I am installing Gentoo currently (unfortunately not with much success at present) with the sole purpose to create audio. I'm new to audio AND Gentoo so I decided to Jump into both @ the same time!

I have the VMWare emulator and a fistload of Windows Apps, if I can get everything to run smoothly (I'm hoping I can get it to go better than Win itself can [I have heard of it being done, VMWare and Linux running apps better than Win can that is])

I hope to be an ambassador for Linux Audio of sorts, getting more ppl to switch. If there was a distro that was optimized JUST FOR AUDIO I mean like an appliance, COMPLETELY streamlined and optimized and someone focused on making WINE work for the popular windows audio apps we can get ppl to start switching... Once we have begun to convince the audio community that Linux is the future of Audio Creation and everyone is WINE'ing their way to great sounding beats Linux Audio Apps will come... trust me. :)
supply and demand, if we can supply the demand someone will supply the apps... It's inevitable.

Maybe if you guys can raise funds from these Discs and give the profits to Gentoo Development, Gentoo can in turn, as a gratuity for your support (present and the future attention if it becomes THE audio distro) try and look at the code with an "Audio Mindset" optimizing and tweaking here and there..

This is my dream anyway...

About your compilation, If the final tone of the disc was very progressive and experimental ANY genre could be combined into a final House/Downbeat compilation. Between those two genres you could make a dense mix (I think you'd want some orig vocals too) that encompassed everyone's style and definitely wouldn't have any dead spots.

Here's to hoping this gets off the ground,
Cheers!
sordid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Musicians Reply with quote

chrispy wrote:
lanark wrote:
Are you a [frustrated] win user, at last to some extent, using VST or any other non-linux technology?

I'm a guitar player, I use VST on a winXP box, I'm not THAT frustrated about it, although I'm kinda VERY attracted to a MacOSX solution at the moment ...

there is a macosx version of reason 2 as well.. so that makes it 10 times more attractive.
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linux music apps are somewhat esoteric, at least the ones that work well for now. Depending on what you want to do, and how much time you have, that can be good or bad.
A good place to check the different apps that are in good development state is http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/packages.html
more over it shows one of the few exciting projects happening at the moment, that tries to provide the user with a full working setup. unfortunately, it is based on red hat. (I had a quick and unsuccessful go at installing their apt-get version, but it still might be possible)

agnula was another project that had the same objectives, and funds from the European Community, but the home page is down...

I never liked using cubase and the likes to make music. don't get me wrong, these sequencer do what they do very well, but i just dont like working that way... thats why i use things like csound and cm (mainly).

The other thing is, at the moment with the 2.4 kernel, it is just near impossible to get a decent midi/audio sync. It will possible with 2.6 though. their is also some exciting kernel patches developped that will provide very good ways doing such things (cant remeber what it is called). That explains why you don't see much development in apps such as cubase etc.

I think demudi had a great insentive when they started the project, and apps such as final scratch are a good example of the potential of linux over windoze and mac.
I think linux will have to develop quite a bit more on the desktop front before we see nice userfriendly music apps.

in the meantime, i'm happy with emacs!!
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they get good audio/MIDI syncs in Windows, of all things?

-ee99ee2
NLight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Multitrack Audio apps Reply with quote

woo, looks like a pretty cool group here, gentoo musicians, I think I'll join as well, I guess my biggest questions are:
how stable is ardour?
and are there any kind of drum synth related programs like fruity loops or reason in linux?

I'm a guitar and bass player by trait, I've been working with my buddy who does electronic stuff, we're working on making some pretty cool stuff :-) To be honset, the only thing holding me back from switching my one last computer to linux is the whole audio software thing, if I could find something to replace both cubase and reason, I'd be set. Ardour looks as though it will be the cubase replacement, but what about reason?

Alright, thats all :-)
tacki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, i did some electronic stuff with impulse tracker 2.15 (yes, i paid for it!) years ago... remember? the good old .mod, .s3m, .it and .xm - tunes :D
tacki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waaaaah, i found a impulse tracker clone for linux!

http://www.reduz.com.ar/cheesetracker/index.html :!: :!: :!:
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add my name to the list of gentoo musicians. i'd love to put together a track for a gentoo cd. i'm a jazz guy, but my compositions are mixtures of coltrane, radiohead, and tool.
i've been trying to use rosegarden for a while, but not since i've moved to the alsa drivers. (i've been using the stock kernel [nforce])
any suggestions on something finale' or sibelius in oss form?
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see something like Sonar for Linux. I need that piano roll the way Sonar does it!!!!

-ee99ee2
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post a new ebuild here, if I may.
If anyone is interested then it's you guys ('n gals).
Hydrogen, a linux drum machine.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15625

I had no time to check the usability of the ebuild or the prog.
If I missed any dependencies please let me know.
Hopefully I can contribute to some gentoo-music (if ardour ever compiles on my system).
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will test it tomorrow.
As far as ardour is concerned I am in the same boat as you. It compiled on my laptop but refuses to to do so on my desktop :(
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's another ebuild...
After searching (quite a while) for multitrack hd-recorders/editors I chose to give protux a try.
Check out http://www.nongnu.org/protux and the ebuild provided here:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15783
ZuNBiD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Seleting the music Reply with quote

I thing the best way to select the track's that will be burn into the CD, is to use democracy !

Only the songs that are uploaded (somewhere) at a given time can go to the earing evaluation.

After that ppl download some or all of the songs and chose his/her favorite 5.

Then, 10 days later or so, we start a voting pool with login to avoid double voting.

The 7 top rated songs go into the CD (10 min. limit per track).

'G' is the 7th letter on the western alfabet. And is a good number of tracks for a one CD compilation.

PS: i hoppe mine goes.
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zipher,
since you seem to be in the mood for making ebuilds :)
one proggy you might be interested in is sweep. it is a most excellent sound file editor, which i quite like :)
sorry if you know it already!
http://www.metadecks.org/software/sweep/
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished compiling ardour!
And it works!
the ebuild does not take in account the 2 new libraries:
liblrdf-0.2.3
raptor

once I compiled these two libraries, everything went fine :)
first release of ardour will be out soon :wink:
lecholet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever tried turn-key audio? Its a group of packages that let you do alot of thing like midi, audio editing, drum sequencing...etc

Ive never try it due to lack of time but was wondering if anyone here did.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: