Getting around linux maxgroup limit ...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Getting around linux maxgroup limit ... Reply with quote

I run a small linux based server at my school where we can give out accounts to whomever really wants one. All users have the ability to specify a public_html directory to setup a webpage etc. AND run their own cgi scripts, php stuff, etc.

The problem is that as long as one user knows the exact name of that cgi script of another user, they can view it's source (assuming public_html perms. of 751) I've added a www-data user which apache runs under and I planned on making www-data a member of each user's group. (BTW I have groups for each user ...) This works fine for the first 32 users who are then able to use 750 as thier permissions. This is great ... but for the other 40 users I have it really sucks.

My question is how do you guys do it? How do you run a large system, 70+ users, each with a webpage that is totally unviewable by other users (expect through a browser of course) ????

Many of my users are students with HTML assignments so any help securing their directories would greatly be appreciated.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting around linux maxgroup limit ... Reply with quote

Jesse wrote:
My question is how do you guys do it? How do you run a large system, 70+ users, each with a webpage that is totally unviewable by other users (expect through a browser of course) ????

Look at CGIWrap and/or Apache's suEXEC. Both allow you to set sensitive files to 700 and still have them work correctly. Be extremely, extremely careful with both programs, however. Misconfigurations can leave the entire server open to r00ting and lord knows schools are breeding grounds for script kiddies...

--kurt
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about ACL's? Can they offer me the ability to just add www-data as a reader to all files (say all php and cgi scripts)? suEXEC scares me as their page has warnings everywhere. Haven't had time to look at CGIWrap yet ... does it only handle cgi?

Any one have concrete pointers of how to set this up and maybe an explanation of what your setup actually accomplishes now that it couldn't before (security wise)?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse wrote:
suEXEC scares me as their page has warnings everywhere.

Have a look at your apache error log...I bet you have suEXEC running already.
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know ... that's funny because about 5 seconds ago I did notice ... that's definatly my bad :oops: That also explains why someone trying to execute a script with 777 perms got nothing; it doesnt match the security policy of suExec .... maybe I'll play around with that a bit. ACL will require a kernel recompile for me right now anyhow
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: