View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if that sounded rude. I was actually referring to the menu2wm project and its use of its own menu format rather than the fdo spec. OTOH I guess he probably also started it before fdo was in full swing; I wonder whether he would be receptive to the idea of making menu2wm use the fdo spec?
Woollhara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Unified Menu Progress? Reply with quote

Reading this thread there's a comment from one developer (seemant) dated 6th April 2003
Quote:
OK, it's like this. We played around with debian/drake's menu system. Didn't like it, really, the syntax is -- well "um" is probably the best way to describe it. Then we threw around the idea of XML'ifying menu entries. Then, Alastair Tse (liquidx) pointed out that GNOME and KDE are already confroming to the freedesktop.org standards. Now, that's something that we can handle -- since all the desktop entries for those DE specific apps are/will be in that format anyway. So, it remains then to create transformer scripts to convert that format to <insert your favourite wm here>'s format. Apart from that, if users really think it should be OPTIONAL, then we''ll introduce a USE flag for it to be done in postinst() for the packages. So, consider me your point man for this, and fire away ideas, scripts, etc into bug 18638. In my plan, this was not going to be a part of the 1.4 release. So we're looking at 1.5 or whatever release comes next.

Looking forward to y'all's input.

and was wondering what the status is for this unified menu work since we're at release 2004.1 long after release 1.4
Any rough idea on when it will be integrated?
Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: