Decent soundcard for minimal recording.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Decent soundcard for minimal recording. Reply with quote

I want to do some basic recording for a rough demo of my band. I don't need anything fancy and multichannel, just something that can record from the MIC Input and does a good job. I've done it with an onboard sound controller that gave less than desired results. I then tried it with my SB Live and it was pretty decent, but overall I think the quiality could have been better. basically I'm just mic'ing the amp and going directly into the sound card. does anyone have any experience with recording on a PC? is there a card thats not overkill that kight do a better job of recording than my SBLive?

maybe more generally what characteristics of a soundcard afect the quality of the recorded audio, that way I'd know what to look for in a sound card. Money is MOST DEFINITELY an issue.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Hardware and Laptops at poster's request in the hopes that more experienced sound recorders will frequent this forum. :)
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right then... money is an issue (like for all of us :) ).
If we are talking about the same price of an Audigy, I suggest the terratec DXW 6fire. The quality of recording is **way** better than creative's. However, notice that it has no built-in HW synthesizer (if you need midi, you'll have to rely on softsynths) and of course its not multi-channel. Tom'shardware has an excellent comparative review of this one vs. Audigy. If you are willing to spend some extra bucks (which I do recomend - once you start working with computers on your music you discover quite a few cool things to do) then you have 2 nice choices:
M-audio delta1010-LT
Terratec EWS88MT
Both are multi-tracking with great performance in regards to channel separation, noise and distortion and are perfectly supported by ALSA. Since you need the mics, perhaps the delta is even nicer since it has 2 amplified ins especialy for mics.
I wouldn't suggest going any further in prices even if you had the extra money, since it looks you are just starting out in computer-assisted recordings. By the time you master the tools enough to need "more" there will be out other latest & greatest gadgets...
In any case, don't just take my word: google those soundcards for reviews: there's plenty around.
Keep it fun! :wink:
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the recommendation.. just incase someone finds this thread useful, the model is DMX 6Fire not DXW 6fire. there are 2 models, the 24/96 and the LT. I'm not sure if the LT removes any of the high quality recording parts, or if its just that the 24/96 includes more fancy bells & Whistles. I guess I'll continue my research. Anyway, they seem to be really good cards for recording, and its nice to know that they're fully supported w/ alsa. I'm most definitely going to pick one up. just not sure which of the 2. Thanks again KiTaSuMbA.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've definitely made my decision on the terratec, if only I could buy one! I only found one on Ebay, its $152 US. but I can't find one anywhere else. pricewatch.com doesn't even return a single result for "terratec" I found a few online retailers in the UK, but I think Overseas shipping would break the bank. the tomshardware article did list an american alternative, that uses pretty much the same components. maybe I'll check that out.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to be of any help here! Sorry to hear about the non-availability though :(
Perhaps not all is lost, did you check with a local store?
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as hardware goes in this town, theres not much variety. theres simply no market for high end PC Components. so stores only carry the most popular stuff. I could find an Audigy maybe, but definitely not something like those other 2 cards.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: