Using Portage for Cross Compiling
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Using Portage for Cross Compiling Reply with quote

I am wondering if Portage has a mode, or can be configured to do cross compiling work for a different architecture, and keep that architecture's files/libs separate from the native system.

I've recently accquired an SGI Indigo2 w/ an R4400@250MHz, and want to give a shot at porting. I plan on following the MIPS cross-compile FAQ/HOW-TO located at this site: http://foobazco.org/~wesolows/mips-cross.html (modifying to match the current version(s) of software). I figure that faq could get a basic set of build libraries up, much like what is found on the Gentoo install CDs. I do wonder though, if in some fashion, Portage could be used to simplify some of the material in that article.

I'm thinking of attempting the cross-compile from my sparc64 machine which also runs gentoo. Since the Indigo2 is big endian, I figure it'd be wiser, since the sparc64 machine is also big endian. If anyone has any pointers, I'd be interested. I still have to pickup a SCSI floppy, CD-drive, and maybe a few harddrives for the Indigo2 though, before it's really usable.

--Kumba
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than cross-compiling, what I would do is install Debian on the MIPS machine, and then work on getting Portage running in there. You might also want to check out some threads in the AltArch forum - I know there are at least two MIPS folks in there.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Rather than cross-compiling, what I would do is install Debian on the MIPS machine, and then work on getting Portage running in there. You might also want to check out some threads in the AltArch forum - I know there are at least two MIPS folks in there.

This is what I eventually plan on doing, but I figured it'd be fun to get a head start on things, and at the same time, I'd learn how to properly build and prepare a cross compiler, cause I also want to eventually play around with building a sparc64 compiler. Documentation and other information on cross-compiling does seem to be extremely scarce though, as there doesn't even seem to be a linux HOW-TO document on the subject.

--Kumba
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: