View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum that is strange. Which version of nxclient have you tried? (the overlay has the most recent one, if needed).

You can try to set NX_LOG_LEVEL=7 in /etc/nxserver/node.conf, and then /var/log/nxserver.log may have some interesting informations on why your connection closes just after authentification. Also, even if it works well with the windows client, you can try to first use a simpler application (xterm for example)
v912485
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyageur,

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

But I have found the problem. When connecting from the Windows machine I was using another user. So when I tried connecting from the Gentoo box with that same user it also worked. So I knew there was some difference in the user settings. It turned out that clearing the font cache in ~/.fontconfig solved the problem.
Fabianx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v912485 wrote:
Hi,

I have emerged freenx from the overlay. And the server seems to be working fine since I can connect from a Windows machine using the Windows version of nxclient. However when I try to connect from another Gentoo box the client either exits immediately after authentication or shows a black/blank screen when I select XDM.

nxload --check shows no errors
XDMCP is properly configured since I can log in remotely using XDMCP without a problem.
Connecting using the Windows nxclient works fine.

Any one any suggestions on why nxclient from Gentoo does not work? I have tried all available version.

Uhm, as far as I remember FreeNX does still not support XDMCP ...

Are you sure XDMCP works with windows?

cu

Fabian

PS: Why use XDMCP in the first place?

You can also emerge freenx on the other box and just add the NODE_FORWARD=other_box directive to configuration ...
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded nxserver to 0.60 and nx to version 2.1.0. I can start a session properly, but I can no longer disconnect by clicking on the 'x' button. I used to get the 'suspend, termintate, cancel' dialog when clicking on it, but now I get nothing (using nxclient 2.1.0-r1). Anyone know how to fix this?
Let me guess, you picked out yet another colorful box with a crank that I'm expected to turn and turn until OOP! big shock, a jack pops out and you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside.
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you emerge nxserver-freenx with USE=nxclient or USE=-nxclient?
Also, can you run nxclient on the server (which is the command used by the server to display the 'suspend, termintate, cancel' dialog)? This should either launch NoMachine's nxclient, or display a xdialog/xmessage box (depending on your nxclient USE flag setting)
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyageur wrote:
Did you emerge nxserver-freenx with USE=nxclient or USE=-nxclient?
Also, can you run nxclient on the server (which is the command used by the server to display the 'suspend, termintate, cancel' dialog)? This should either launch NoMachine's nxclient, or display a xdialog/xmessage box (depending on your nxclient USE flag setting)

I have the 'nxclient' flag set. I can't run nxclient locally on the server because x11 isn't configured. The machine is being used as a nxserver for remote sessions only. I did try to launch nxclient from within an nxsession, and I got an error about a cookie or something. I guess nx doesn't like recursive sessions.

Code:

# emerge -av nxserver-freenx

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies  ..... ..... .... done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-misc/nxserver-freenx-0.6.0  USE="arts cups esd nxclient" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

EDIT:

I had nxclient 1.5 installed on the server. I just upgraded it to 2.1.0-r1 and the xdialog works properly now. Seems a little strange that the client installed on the server would have any effect on the remote session...
Let me guess, you picked out yet another colorful box with a crank that I'm expected to turn and turn until OOP! big shock, a jack pops out and you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside.
tretre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: can't emerge nx-2.1.0 and nxclient Reply with quote

hello, I attempting to do a fresh install of Freenx on amd64 with the instruction provided on the wiki overlay.
My problems is that I can't emerge nx-2.1.0 that comes with the experimental overlay it ends with
Code:

ar clq libXcomp.a Loop.o Children.o Control.o Misc.o Socket.o Pipe.o List.o Keeper.o Timestamp.o Transport.o Statistics.o Auth.o Agent.o Proxy.o Channel.o Message.o Split.o ClientProxy.o ServerProxy.o OpcodeStore.o ClientStore.o ServerStore.o ChannelCache.o ClientCache.o ServerCache.o ClientChannel.o ServerChannel.o GenericChannel.o ReadBuffer.o ProxyReadBuffer.o ClientReadBuffer.o ServerReadBuffer.o GenericReadBuffer.o EncodeBuffer.o DecodeBuffer.o WriteBuffer.o SequenceQueue.o IntCache.o CharCache.o XidCache.o ActionCache.o BlockCache.o BlockCacheSet.o StaticCompressor.o TextCompressor.o Unpack.o Alpha.o Colormap.o Jpeg.o Pgn.o Rgb.o Rle.o Z.o Rdp.o Tight.o Hextile.o ChangeProperty.o SendEvent.o ChangeGC.o CreateGC.o CreatePixmap.o SetClipRectangles.o CopyArea.o PolyLine.o PolySegment.o PolyFillRectangle.o PutImage.o TranslateCoords.o GetImage.o ClearArea.o ConfigureWindow.o PolyText8.o PolyText16.o ImageText8.o ImageText16.o PolyPoint.o PolyFillArc.o PolyArc.o FillPoly.o InternAtom.o GetProperty.o SetUnpackGeometry.o SetUnpackColormap.o SetUnpackAlpha.o PutPackedImage.o ShapeExtension.o RenderExtension.o GenericRequest.o QueryFontReply.o ListFontsReply.o GetImageReply.o GetPropertyReply.o GenericReply.o RenderGenericRequest.o RenderCreatePicture.o RenderChangePicture.o RenderFreePicture.o RenderPictureClip.o RenderPictureTransform.o RenderPictureFilter.o RenderCreateGlyphSet.o RenderFreeGlyphSet.o RenderAddGlyphs.o RenderComposite.o RenderCompositeGlyphs.o RenderFillRectangles.o RenderTrapezoids.o RenderTriangles.o PositionCacheCompat.o ChangeGCCompat.o CreatePixmapCompat.o SetUnpackColormapCompat.o SetUnpackAlphaCompat.o RenderCreatePictureCompat.o RenderFreePictureCompat.o RenderPictureClipCompat.o RenderCreateGlyphSetCompat.o RenderCompositeCompat.o RenderCompositeGlyphsCompat.o MD5.o Pack.o Vars.o
ranlib libXcomp.a
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `ChannelCache.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `SequenceQueue.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `CharCache.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
SequenceQueue.o: In function `SequenceQueue::SequenceQueue()':
SequenceQueue.cpp:(.text+0xad): undefined reference to `operator new[](unsigned int)'
SequenceQueue.o: In function `SequenceQueue::SequenceQueue()':
SequenceQueue.cpp:(.text+0x10d): undefined reference to `operator new[](unsigned int)'
SequenceQueue.o: In function `SequenceQueue::push(unsigned short, unsigned char, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int)':
SequenceQueue.cpp:(.text+0x2f3): undefined reference to `operator new[](unsigned int)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [libXcomp.so.2.1.0] Error 1

!!! ERROR: net-misc/nx-2.1.0 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1614:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 971:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
  environment, line 3513:   Called src_compile
  nx-2.1.0.ebuild, line 67:   Called die

!!! This ebuild is from an overlay: '/usr/portage/local/layman/nx'

and the nx-2.1.0-r1 that comes with the original nx overlay compile fine but goes into /lib32 and the nxsetup --install look under /usr/lib

I tried also to enable the nxclient flag in nxserver-freenx but I have no keywords for net-misc/nxclient-2.1.0.
Please advice ! 8O
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `CharCache.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output

That's surprising as this object is compiled with the same commands as the others. Was/is /var/tmp/portage empty (if you had the NX overlay in at some time)? Also, you can test with FEATURES=-ccache (the cache may get fooled between 32bit and 64bit compilations, but it's just a hunch).
If that does not help, I'll be interested in the build log (and maybe other files) from /var/tmp/portage/net-misc/nx-2.1.0/temp/, you can mail it to nx@gentoo.org (as it will be a little too big for this poor forum thread ;) )

Quote:
the nx-2.1.0-r1 that comes with the original nx overlay compile fine but goes into /lib32

That one is normal, ebuilds in the official NX overlay use the same system as nx in portage (with multilib). The freenx ebuild from the experimental overlay won't work with it, as it indeed looks into native /usr/lib for nx

Quote:
I tried also to enable the nxclient flag in nxserver-freenx but I have no keywords for net-misc/nxclient-2.1.0

Portage has ~amd64 for net-misc/nxclient-2.1.0, run "emerge --sync" and/or check possible typo in package.keywords if you run stable amd64 ;)

edit: what amd64 profile do you use? nxclient (a pure 32bit app) is masked on no-multilib profiles, where it would not run anyway
tretre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! you guessed it right ccache was causing problem indeed for nx and I had the tree outdated!
great now everything is compiled and installed :D now what? how can I try it out?
Good Job btw great integration work thanks
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook
tretre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: xen Reply with quote

wow that's fast!
but for lan with *nixes xdmcp is still faster ... but finally windows is usable again with a gentoo on click away:)
Anyone has tried it under xen? :?:
that would be really cool a new era for computing 8O
pops45042
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the 0.6 ebuilds for freenx. Is there a way to suspend a session on one machine and resume it from another machine? I'm able to see the session that I used from say machine A and can resume it, but when I move to machine B and try to resume the suspended session, I can't select the "Resume" button on the client. Does freenx not allow this functionallity or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Paul

Laugh at my old system!
AMD Opteron 165@ 2750Mhz, 2gig 400mhz Cas2 Crucial Ballistix, Abit NF8 Ultra MB, WD 80gig (system), WD 120gig (storage), Geforce 8800GTS 320MB, Mushkin 550W PS
RaceTM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all,

I am having some major issues with freenx right now. I have a thread with all of the details, if anyone able to offer some help could post it here or in the other thread, I would greatly appreciate it. I figured I would post something here as I am probably more likely to get some assistance that way!

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-552947.html
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm able to see the session that I used from say machine A and can resume it, but when I move to machine B and try to resume the suspended session, I can't select the "Resume" button on the client. Does freenx not allow this functionallity or am I missing something?

This may be caused by different color depths, see this freenx post (point 2).
pops45042
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I un-merged the 0.6 ebuild and emerged the nxserver-freeedition ebuild and now it all works like it should.

Paul

Laugh at my old system!
AMD Opteron 165@ 2750Mhz, 2gig 400mhz Cas2 Crucial Ballistix, Abit NF8 Ultra MB, WD 80gig (system), WD 120gig (storage), Geforce 8800GTS 320MB, Mushkin 550W PS
mootaccount
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoKo wrote:
It seems to be nxagent is the problem, so I've checked nxagent... Although objdump confirms it's a 32-bit binary, it seems to have dependencies problems:
Code:
~ # ldd /usr/NX/bin/nxagent
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libXext.so.6 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xf7f2d000)
        libX11.so.6 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xf7e62000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib32/tls/libm.so.6 (0xf7e3f000)
        libXpm.so.4 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0xf7e2f000)
        libXrender.so.1 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/libXrender.so.1 (0xf7e27000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib32/tls/libc.so.6 (0xf7d0f000)
        libXcompext.so.1 => not found
        libXcomp.so.1 => not found
        libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7d0a000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7f5a000)

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance...

This has been very helpful! I checked the shared library dependencies and fulfilled the missings, and poof it worked! Thanks
elmede
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: NXClient as a desktop manager Reply with quote

Hi there people!!

I'm successfully running FreeNX without much problems (yet).. :)

I, however, ran into the trouble of trying to run in a "clean" way an nxclient on the server itself. Trying to run nxclient as a desktop manager... Didn't find much information about that on the net.. So I created an entry in the gentoo wiki..

You can find it in:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/index.php?title=NXClient_as_desktop_manager

I thought maybe it could be useful for someone else...

Of course, it's a wiki, so please edit at will. I know there's much to be improved, so feel free to do it.. :)

Great..

Mede
mana
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm this howto is great!! exactly what i was looking for!

edit: is there any news on the front? A FreeNX 0.7.0 ebuild available? ;)
And how are your experiences with it? Does it _really_ not work with 3.0 clients? My 0.5 freenx server is accessable with those newer clients.

keep the ball rolling :-)
Christoph
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mana wrote:
is there any news on the front? A FreeNX 0.7.0 ebuild available? ;)
And how are your experiences with it? Does it _really_ not work with 3.0 clients? My 0.5 freenx server is accessable with those newer clients

Current freenx servers work fine with 3.0 clients, they just do not use the nx 3.0 features (server-side), as session shadowing, ...

Anyway, ebuild for 0.7 is under way... It needs some patches to work properly on Gentoo (mostly when there is no kde and/or no cups installed), before I add it in portage. But you won't see many differrences from current portage 0.6, apart from the printing fixes ;)
mana
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply :) is your current work still at https://cafarelli.fr/svn/voyageur-overlay/ ? If so I'd try it out (with KDE and cups installed ;))

have a nice Day
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it takes too much time to add the ebuild directly in portage, you will probably find a work-in-progress version in the NX overlay. But no guarantee that it works better than in-portage 0.6 version ;)
mana
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 0.6 version from portage works SO GOOD(!) that i will not try the WIP :o). Great Job voyageur. Really.

p.s.: I got a new rank! yippie!
QkEterror
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get an error while compiling the new net-misc/nx-3.0.0 from portage. :( Probably a missing dependency:
Code:

X11.h:23:36: error: X11/extensions/Xdamage.h: No such file or directory
X11.h:66: error: 'Damage' does not name a type

Ok. I merged libXdamage now and it doesn't give any more compile errors. However with installation I get this:
Code:
----> Testing your nxserver configuration ...
Warning: Could not find rdesktop in /usr/bin. RDP sessions won't work.
Warning: Could not find vncviewer in /usr/bin. VNC sessions won't work.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_FOOMATIC=/usr/lib/cups/driver/foomatic-ppdfile"
         Users will not be able to use foomatic.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_KDE=startkde"
         Users will not be able to request a KDE session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_GNOME=gnome-session"
         Users will not be able to request a Gnome session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_CDE=cdwm"
         Users will not be able to request a CDE session.

For as far as I understand it, this means that I can't start any session.
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

I fixed the depends this morning, it should work fine now

Code:
----> Testing your nxserver configuration ...
Warning: Could not find rdesktop in /usr/bin. RDP sessions won't work.
Warning: Could not find vncviewer in /usr/bin. VNC sessions won't work.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_FOOMATIC=/usr/lib/cups/driver/foomatic-ppdfile"
         Users will not be able to use foomatic.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_KDE=startkde"
         Users will not be able to request a KDE session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_GNOME=gnome-session"
         Users will not be able to request a Gnome session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_CDE=cdwm"
         Users will not be able to request a CDE session.

These are just warnings (and in KDE case, the test is broken), emerge the window manager/desktop environment of your choice and enjoy
The rdesktop/vnc warnings are normal, nx3 uses them for Rdesktop/VNC instead of dedicated binaries

Also, even if freenx now uses NX 3.0 libraries, it does not have 3.0-specific features (this requires next freenx version ;) )
QkEterror
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyageur wrote:
Code:

I fixed the depends this morning, it should work fine now

Did you also add x11-libs/libXcomposite? Because that one is also missing

Can't wait for the new 3.0 features by the way. :)
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I just tested a nx-3.0 compilation without libXcomposite, and it got to the end.

Did you mean libXrandr? (that's the other one I added at the same time as libXdamage). If not, please post the error (ebuild editing was certainly easier when X was a monolithic ebuild ;) )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: