Problem with glibc 2.3.1 being autocleaned+a few suggestions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Firefly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: Problem with glibc 2.3.1 being autocleaned+a few suggestions Reply with quote

First a couple of related suggestions that would have saved me a few hours of headache today:

1. Update should not remove newer versions of programs to install older ones, especially with autoclean being turned on by default. (so, for example, I have audacity 1.0.0-r2 installed, emerge rsync overwrites my package.mask file so if I forget to edit it again trying to "update world" tries to uninstall 1.0.0-r2 and install 1.0.0-r1 which is obivously not a desirable default action. Or like how yesterday emerge -u world somehow decided to remove glibc 2.3.1 and install glibc 2.2.5 and wreck my whole system).

2. I love gentoo and optimizing programs by building from source but: there should be the ability to downloaded pre-compiled i386 binaries for major system programs/libraries. If you cannot use emerge because glibc/gcc/whatever aren't working, you're hosed, you can't fix anything. This might be a nice feature for other programs too in some cases.

Ok, on to my fun with glibc, this is what I think happened, I may be off a bit but generally I think I've got it.

I did an update world yesterday and emerge, for some reason, decided that I needed glibc 2.2.5 (even though I had 2.3.1 installed) and emerged that. Well, autoclean figured since I just installed 2.2.5 I didn't need 2.3.1 anymore so it removed it. This resulted in a slew of "GLIBC_2.3 Needed" errors for such various applications as init, mount, gcc, mozilla, evolution, etc. etc.

Since I could no longer boot the system (kernel panic because init needs glibc 2.3) I booted from the 1.4a cdrom. Once I figured out what happened I figured it'd just be a matter of emerging glibc 2.3.1 again. No problem, except that after chroot'ing into my old system emerge couldn't compile anything because I didn't have glibc 2.3 installed (chicken or the egg, can't compile glibc 2.3 because you need glibc 2.3 to compile). This where the ability to download a precompiled glibc would have been very nice.

Here's how I fixed the problem in case anyone is in the same boat:

- boot with the 1.4a cd, mount your old system and chroot into it
- Back up bin, sbin, lib, usr (ex. "mv lib libback")
- untar the stage 2 tarball from the installation CD to a temporary directory
- copy the bin, sbin, lib, and usr directories from the tarball to your system.

You now have a pretty empty but at least functional glibc 2.2.5 system.

- copy the portage directory from your backed up usr directory to your new 'clean' usr directory (for me it was cp -r /usrback/portage /usr)
- emerge glibc 2.3.1 (ebuild /usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc/glibc-2.3.1-r1.ebuild merge)

Hopefully the compile will work. If it does, you now have a basically empty system BUT it has glibc 2.3.1. The trick now is to copy all of your old system back except for the glibc 2.3.1 files now that you have them. Since I don't know what files glibc makes I did this as follows:

- exit out of chroot (type exit).
- backup the lib directory of your 'new' system (with glibc 3.2.1) (cp -r lib libcleanback)
- delete lib, (rm -rf lib)
- copy the lib from your old system back (cp -r libback lib)
- now copy the files from libcleanback (the lib from your 'new' system) to lib. (cd libcleanback; cp * ../lib)

- get rid of bin, sbin, and usr (ex. rm -rf bin)
- get you're old directories back, ie the ones you backed-up (ex. mv binback bin)
- you could delete libcleanback now but leave it for now just in case you messed up (it took me three tries) otherwise you'll have to recompile glibc again which takes forever
- unmount system and reboot

Hopefully most things will work now, there's only one more step

- run "ldconfig"

My systems back up and running like nothing happened. What a waste of a day. Hopefully this helps someone and the great folks at gentoo will fix autoclean and update so they don't replace newer versions with older ones.

hearts,
xpfx
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this - it'll probably save a few people some headaches. I think if one can spare the disk space, it's a good idea to emerge with the -b option at least for critical packages - that way you have your own binary backups.
faz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure saved my day!! Thanx a million! :D I noticed you didn't know what files where created by glibc. This thread answers that: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=19662&start=50 It also seems wise to rebuild glibc-2.3.1 on you're rescued install after reboot So all you're optimazation flags are being used again.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be wise to let the bootstrap packages (especially gcc and glibc) always automatically be compiled with the -b option. Or else post a warning or put it in the install documentation (if it's not already in, I haven't read it lately, cause I don't need to re-install, don't you love linux), losing / destroying a file of these packages is a major pain in the rear. It's less then 50 Mb to store these important files and can save your life (well system).

Cya lX.

Ps: I always (re)build crucial (and very big) packages with the -b option.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the advantages of moving up to Glibc 2.3.x anyways? Are there any changes as drastic as the GCC 3.2 upgrade? If I upgraded a machine to Glibc 2.3.x, would it be wise to attempt an emerge -e world?

--Kumba
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a emerge -be world (well sort of / not all at once/ first bootstrap packages then system then remaining world). And (luckely it succeeded), but since glibc is at the base of a gnu/linux system, it remains a tricky operation / I was even prepared as a last resort to install my system from scratch if it went wrong and I also had binary (-b) packages of the crucial packages. Better what till it's stable, although MY system runs fine, I don't know how other systems will cope.

btw. I'm running unstable (ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86")]

Advantage???? it's newer, but if your systems runs fine don't change it.
I'm just living on the edge..... :wink:

Cya lX.
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I' m thinking of upgrading to unstable branch tonight (I'm fetching the sources now), mainly because I want to build kde-3.1rc2 w/ malloc=full & after all, living on the edge is fun :). Should a simple "emerge world -u" work or do I need to rebuild everything after emerging glibc,gettext,gcc & binutils ?

.:: zen ::.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen_guerrilla wrote:
Should a simple "emerge world -u" work or do I need to rebuild everything after emerging glibc,gettext,gcc & binutils ?

Seeing that almost everything depends on glibc, I would (well I've done it) rebuild everything, can't hurt to this once in a while, but well you could try only to bootstrap and -u world, but I like to be in sync with the latest packages available, emerge -u world doesn't upgrade packages that are sufficiently taking care of dependencies.

Cya lX.
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IX: With bootstrap u mean /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh or USE="bootstrap" emerge gettext binutils gcc glibc ? Because I think that the bootstrap.sh script takes care of the portage profile info & not /etc/make.conf (except for C**FLAGS).

However, could someone pls tell me which packages are statically linked to glibc (based on his/hers upgrade -> unstable experience) so that I could emerge only these ? I don't want to spend the next 2 days emerging -e world :)

lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen_guerrilla wrote:
IX: With bootstrap u mean /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh or USE="bootstrap" emerge gettext binutils gcc glibc ? Because I think that the bootstrap.sh script takes care of the portage profile info & not /etc/make.conf (except for C**FLAGS).

However, could someone pls tell me which packages are statically linked to glibc (based on his/hers upgrade -> unstable experience) so that I could emerge only these ? I don't want to spend the next 2 days emerging -e world :)

I don't mean bootstrap.sh but the packages glibc binutils ..... etc.

Which packages are statically linked to glibc, I think you said it a bit unlucky, you probably mean dynamicly linked but to a static name or something. Naming what package isn't linked to glibc is much easier, but most are linked to a link libc.so.6 etc . if i execute find /usr/bin -exec ldd {} ';' | grep 2.3.1 (my glibc version) it doesn't turn up any libs. However this doesn't mean that apps will work with the never glibc version, don't know if API changed. I immidiatly rebuild my system, so I can't help, sorry

Cya lX.
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
if i execute find /usr/bin -exec ldd {} ';' | grep 2.3.1 (my glibc version) it doesn't turn up any libs. However this doesn't mean that apps will work with the never glibc version, don't know if API changed. I immidiatly rebuild my system, so I can't help, sorry

Running # find /usr/bin -exec ldd {} ';' | grep 2.2.5 on my system also returns null. Has anyone switched his/her system from stable to unstable branch without emerging -e world ?

Looks like the stable -> unstable switch on my system will be delayed for a while :)

choward
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:

Naming what package isn't linked to glibc is much easier, but most are linked to a link libc.so.6 etc . if i execute find /usr/bin -exec ldd {} ';' | grep 2.3.1 (my glibc version) it doesn't turn up any libs. However this doesn't mean that apps will work with the never glibc version, don't know if API changed. I immidiatly rebuild my system, so I can't help, sorry

As you point out, apps are dynamically linked against libc.so.6, which is infact, glibc 2.x.

The name of the library is significant. By linking against libc.so.6, the programmer is saying that anything that implements the .6 interface should work. If a more specific version were required, the program would be linked against that.

For example, program foo is linked against libbar. Now the system has the following in /usr/local/lib
Code:

libbar.so -> libbar.so.2
libbar.so.1 -> libbar.so.1.0
libbar.so.1.0
libbar.so.2 -> libbar.so.2.1
libbar.so.2.0
libbar.so.2.1

If foo links against libbar.so, then any libbar will do. If foo links against libbar.so.2, then libbar.so.2.x will do, in this case we get libbar.so.2.1. Notice the waterfall effect of linking to libbar.so? This is created by ldconfig.

It is the library programmers responsibility to make sure that the API does not change between major versions. Here libbar's API changed once.

Relating this back to glibc, glibc-2.x is the 6th iteration of the c library API, or libc, which implies the name libc.so.6. This is why your command gives no results.

Now, ldd -v gives more info here's ldd -v /usr/bin/grep
Code:

libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40027000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

Version information:
        /bin/grep:
                libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2.3) => /lib/libc.so.6
                libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1.3) => /lib/libc.so.6
                libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1) => /lib/libc.so.6
                libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2) => /lib/libc.so.6
                libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.0) => /lib/libc.so.6
        /lib/libc.so.6:
                ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.1.1) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
                ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.2.3) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
                ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.1) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
                ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.2) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
                ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.0) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2

Now, I need help interpreting this. glibc-2.1 has never touched my system, let alone glibc-2.0! man ldd is out of sync too, it states that -v prints the version number of ldd!
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have something to do with glibc's versioned symbols. IIRC, this is a way to allow relatively seamless backward compatibility when changing function signatures. Say function f() used to be f(int) in version 1.0 of glibc and is now f(int,char) in version 2.0. The problem is how to allow libraries compiled against glibc 1.0 to be able to run when linked against 2.0. The way it works internally (I think) is similar to C++ name mangling, where the actual function name linked against is f_GLIBC_1_0.

All that glibc 2.0 has to provide, then, is f_GLIBC_1_0(int) and f_GLIBC_2_0(int,char), and both applications compiled against 1.0 and 2.0 work, even though the function signature and calling convention of the same named function f has completely changed.

Therefore, I think what you're seeing with the 2.0 and 2.1 stuff is that later versions are implementing those older versioned symbols as well, so that apps compiled against 2.0 and 2.1 will still run when linked against 2.2+.
je4d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i was in the same boat, thanks a million firefly ;-)

it chooses glibc2.2.x if you're not using testing (ACCEPT_KEYORDS="~x86" in make.conf). does anyone know how to put a system on glibc2.3.1 and stuff back to glibc2.2.x safely so i can stop using testing?

je4d
discostu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem. I accidentally unmerged glibc. I did what Princess Firefly suggested and now my computer boots! Thanks! 8) .

However, I seem to have lost some functionality (such as X not starting, cdrecord -scanbus not working, etc). Rather than fix it all I've decided to just upgrade from 1.1a to 1.4. Should I use the livecd? or would it be alright just to do the upgrade scripts from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/upgrade-to-gentoo-1.4.xml.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: