View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: mozilla text area problems Reply with quote

I am using mozilla-1.3-r1. When I start mozilla everything is fine, but after using it for a while something causes major problems with text areas (including location bar). Unfortunately I have not been able to pinpoint what exactly causes this problem.

The most common problem is I cannot copy/cut/paste, use home/end, use page up/down, or move around in the text area with arrows. The only thing I can do is type (and use backspace/delete) and move the cursor by clicking with the mouse. In the location bar I can use up/down arrow to scroll through addresses, but that is the only exception.

There is also a problem where I cannot focus to any text area.

I compiled WITH_GTK2 and am going to assume that is the problem.

Can anyone confirm this or let me know if you experience this without gtk2?
This message is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation. For more info visit http://joemonti.org/
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds alot like whats described in more mozilla weirdness.

Unfortunately, it hasn't been fixed yet that I can tell.
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That post seems to be more about not being able to use the text areas at all where as I have very limited functionality. I tried following their steps to resolve the problem but no luck.

I tried uninstalling mozilla, deleting my profile, and reinstalling with WITH_GTK2="0" ... but nothing helped.

I'll keep trying to find a trigger, but after a few weeks of experiencing the problem I cant see anything.

I'd really like to see if anyone else is experiencing this problem. Its not the most obvious, but it is very annoying and you dont realize the problem until you need to do something it prevents; there is no catastrophic event that triggers the problem from what I can see. I also havn't seen it go away until I restart mozilla.
This message is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation. For more info visit http://joemonti.org/

Last edited by count on Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
PARENA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: mozilla text area problems Reply with quote

count wrote:
I am using mozilla-1.3-r1. When I start mozilla everything is fine, but after using it for a while something causes major problems with text areas (including location bar). Unfortunately I have not been able to pinpoint what exactly causes this problem.

The most common problem is I cannot copy/cut/paste, use home/end, use page up/down, or move around in the text area with arrows. The only thing I can do is type (and use backspace/delete) and move the cursor by clicking with the mouse. In the location bar I can use up/down arrow to scroll through addresses, but that is the only exception.

There is also a problem where I cannot focus to any text area.

I compiled WITH_GTK2 and am going to assume that is the problem.

Can anyone confirm this or let me know if you experience this without gtk2?

I had the same thing with Mozilla, GTK. And now I'm using Galeon: same problem with both GTK and GTK2. What 'helps' is right clicking so the menu comes up and after that it will work. Or switch to a different tab and then return to the original tab. It's very odd, indeed. But it's not a GTK2 problem, since I've had it with both GTK's.
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried right clicking in the text area, switching tabs/windows, focused other windows and text areas of differnet applications ... nothing helped.

I should also note that the problem stays with the current mozilla window (and all tabs). If I have another window opened or open a new window that window does not have the problem (with the case of no text areas not focusing, I havnt had the same luck with the partial text area functionality).

I'm compiling mozilla 1.2.1 to see if I still see it there.
Beekster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it too, and find that minimizing Mozilla, and then restoring it lets it continue as normal for a while.

I also see it selecting blocks of text in these forum reply windows when it starts to play up. Quite weird. Clicking elsewhere does not deselect the text. The cursor can be elsewhere, and behaves normally, well away from the selected (colour inversed) text.

It's fun to watch.
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: el Reply with quote

I have noticed a bit more about the problem.

when focusing items with the tab key it stops at the item just before the text entry and the item stays focused. You can shift tab backwards but it stops just beforeny text entry again. This is only with <form type="text"> (same results with the address bar as well). With <textarea>'s you cannot focus from the document with the tab key, but you can focus with the mouse and successfully type in the area, but you are very limited to what you can do, which I describe in an earlier post.

Another really weird thing is the right click menu is perfectly functioning, but not type. The funny thing is when you right click in a textarea it doesn't effect the textarea, but the entire page or if a form text was "focused" it effects that form text.

Then if you focus a form text with the right click, then paste something in there (so you can see your effects) you can do everything you can't do in a textarea (move with arrows, etc), but when you type it types in the textarea. That is the strangest thing so far.

Also if you go to a page that focuses a form text you can type in that, but cannot change to a different text.

This is all very strange.

I've tried everything to change focus to all sorts of things and nothing fixes it except reopening the window. (a new window opened from a faulty window will work fine, but the faulty window stays faulty).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: