Weird System Hang
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrichmon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Weird System Hang Reply with quote

I've been running gentoo on my Ultra 10 quite happily since last december. Currently using kernel 2.4.24 This machine is mainly used as a file server using smb

Last week I performed a emerge sync followed by an emerge -U world and merged the resulting configuration files. (Some I merged by hand, some I automerged.)

Since the emerge world I've had stability issues where the box will be running happily for a few hours and then completely hangs. The hang seems to lock the entire system, requiring a power-cycle to resolve. (No response to keyboard input, no response to ssh, and ping times out.)

Most of the time the screen has been blank when it hangs.

In some cases, I've been doing a long compile when it hangs and the
output on the console just freezes without any kernel panic messages.
I suspected it may have been a sun console bug I've heard about so set the machine to boot to X windows but today it hung twice.

I cannot find anything in the logs which would give an indication of what is happening.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what the problem might be?

Thanks.
javac16
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever find out any information on this? I am currently having a simlar problem with some of my Gentoo boxes. I am not a Linux expert but have checked through some log files and haven't seen anything. Both of my boxes that are having the problem just completely freeze up.

My boxes are both intel boxes (one a dual 2.0Ghz machine the other a 500mhz machine).

Running gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.7-r9 and -r8 respectively.

The dual cpu box I have to actually unplug from the wall to get and plug it back in (both freezes have occured during the lava lamp xscreensaver). The other one will allow me to use the power button (it is headless, so I can't tell what is going on at the time of the freeze).

Thanks.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the suggestions you are asking for, but I do have a question: I occasionally see
similar symptoms, and one or two other people have reported something similar (at least, anecdotally).

So, my question. What do your disk layouts and file types look like? My very tentative hypothesis is
that there is a hang like this related to ext3 file systems + lots of activity involving many small files.
If you are having problems with compiles, try clearing ccache if you are using it, and report back, please,
what happens. Unfortunately, I am collecting information; I don't have a solution. I don't know even
if we are talking about similar problems; jsut similar symptons.

Regards,
Ferris
javac16
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My drives are all xfs except for /boot which is ext2

Nothing is going on except for the system being idle (so the screen saver is running which another thread seems to think may be the culprit -- high CPU to do the openGL graphics = high temp = freeze of system).

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1418723#1418723
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: