keyboard not working under X with mm-sources-2.6.8.1-r*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiroki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: keyboard not working under X with mm-sources-2.6.8.1-r* Reply with quote

Hi!

As the topic already tells, I cannot use my keyboard in X when I use the mm-sources-2.6.8*. That's why I cannot login, nor can I switch back to console. But as the mouse still works, the only thing possible is to shut-down or reboot the computer using the GDM menu. Anyway, I am usually using gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8 and have installed development-sources-2.6.8.1 in order to see, whether it's the fault of the vanilla kernel or mm's fault... aparently it's mm's fault, cause I am using development-sources-2.6.8.1 now and every just works, keyboard, too.
Anyone experiencing similar problems with the keyboard in X? I don't think it's my config that caused this because I just copied it from the previous version and then also copied the same to the sources I am now using, and it works. So, mm-sources problem?
Here are my xorg.conf and .config.

thanks in advance,
grtz,

hiroki
If it's of any help, I am using an ASUS M6800N laptop.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar issue. Except my mouse has gone b0rk too - it wouldn't move at all. I got it going crazy once, but now the filesystem has corrupted so there's not a lot of progress being made.
The thing is, there's nothing to play with in the config for the keyboard. You just have to say Driver "keyboard" and it should work - which leaves us well rooted when it doesn't!
silverter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the keyboard not working in mm-sources is due to the synaptics driver. If you comment out the whole section of the synatics driver in your xorg.conf, you'll get a working keyboard.

HTH

regards.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to get it all working again. It was loading /root/xorg.conf rather than /etc/X11/xorg.conf
It seems okay now with Synaptics driver? Personally I'd be passing if I couldn't have a proper touchpad driver.
Anyway, onwards, now I've got to get bootsplash going. It's a neverending quest isn't it....
lanzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have the same problem - keyboard does not work in Xorg. however i have an ibm thinkpad a22e, which does NOT have a touchpad at all - it has a trackpoint, which is configured as a standard PS/2 mouse in xorg.conf. the trackpoint works fine, but the keyboard is as good as dead. there is no "synaptics" configuration to remove, any other tips?
tdb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A. (what's left of it anyway...)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just solved this gotcha after months of frustration. For me, it was my upgrade to using evdev. If you use the evdev module to handle your mouses (I had synaptics touchpad and a usb trackball) you have to reassign the input device statements in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. For me, I had to add:

Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"

to the Keyboard input device section. You also might have to change the Option Device setting in your mouse section to use /dev/input/event1.

I bet there was an upgrade to the evdev around 2.6.6/7 that changed the /dev names. That's when my perfectly-working xorg.conf file quit.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdb wrote:

I bet there was an upgrade to the evdev around 2.6.6/7 that changed the /dev names. That's when my perfectly-working xorg.conf file quit.

Sounds like udev is a likely candidate to me - it likes to lump all that stuff into /dev/input, which causes a few problems if X goes looking for /dev/mouse...
lanzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it turned out that X.org incorrectly picked vt 16 to run on - i have 22 consoles, the first free being 23, but somehow X.org doesn't see that and grabs vt 16, which is already occupied by a getty which gobbles the keystrokes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: