Ebuild request: Grace
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhuhtala
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Ebuild request: Grace Reply with quote

Gentoo has a nice set of scientific apps; I was particlularly pleased to be able to get Gromacs and Babel through Portage. I think the plotting tool Grace (http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/) would be a nice addition. It is a mature project, the program is stable and has a lot of features. The ui is (unfortunately) built using motif, but it works well with lesstif. The license is GPL. I just installed Gentoo for the first time and I have not looked at writing ebuild scripts at all. It would be nice to have someone competent package Grace for Gentoo.

Mikko
nipplehead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: already there. (: Reply with quote

your wish has been granted! :D

Code:
100% peter@gonzo peter $ emerge -s grace
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : grace ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  media-gfx/grace
      Latest version available: 5.1.7-r2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Homepage: http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/
      Description: Grace is a WYSIWYG 2D plotting tool for the X Window System

100% peter@gonzo peter $

mhuhtala
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: already there. (: Reply with quote

> your wish has been granted! :D

That was quick! Ah well, I know I am blind... just browsing around Portage I did not notice it. It still does not strike me as a 'media-gfx' package, but gnuplot is in that category, too, so I guess there is some sort of logic to this. Scigraphica does precisely the same sort of things (it's much bigger, though, can do 3d etc.) as Grace and sits in sci-apps? Because it has 'sci' in its name?

Mikko
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: already there. (: Reply with quote

mhuhtala wrote:
It still does not strike me as a 'media-gfx' package, but gnuplot is in that category, too, so I guess there is some sort of logic to this.

Not necessarily -- it may be an error. If you think it's incorrectly categorized, file a bug on it in bugs.gentoo.org explaining why you think sci-apps is a more appropriate location for it.

--kurt

Last edited by klieber on Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace is a commonly used plotting app, yet it is still in version 5.1.7-r2 when 5.1.10 and now 5.1.12 have been released.

I can write some trivial ebuilds, but this one is beyond my abilities. I was thinking of filing a bug report that this should be updated, but I'm not sure if the GRP section is the one I want to post it in?

Quote:

Put bugs that are about improving our package selection for GRP sets here. Note that actual failures should not go here -- this is just for improving our list of packages, stuff like "please add foobar to GRP." Packages that dont exist in the portage tree yet do not fit in this category.

Also, does that quote seem contradictory to anyone else besides me? It says I can post a bug asking for a package to be added to GRP, but only if it is already in portage? I obviously don't understand what GRP means, despite some googling and searching these forums.
dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red_over_blue wrote:
Grace is a commonly used plotting app, yet it is still in version 5.1.7-r2 when 5.1.10 and now 5.1.12 have been released.

5.1.10 is in portage, has been since November. It's marked as unstable though.
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5.1.10 is in portage, has been since November. It's marked as unstable though.

Yes, I saw that, but why? Especially since this app is evolving, I would hope that portage would stay at least one version behind. I had also been looking at the ebuild scripts, and there is virtually no difference between the .7 and .10 ebuilds. I even renamed the ebuild .12 and it still emerged and compiled fine, but some the help features don't work.
dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably marked as unstable because it hasn't been used/tested enough.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: