eth0 not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragon561
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: eth0 not working Reply with quote

Hi, I am very new to linux. I got gentoo installed and running ok but i am having trouble with my network card. I dont know the command to make eth0 run. If someone could help me out, it would be great. I tried using dhcpcd to start it but it doesn't work. I cannnot see it when i go into ifconfig. Also, I would like to know the sequence of commands to automatically enable eth0 when Linux boots. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I just started learning linux a couple of days ago and am very new, so bear with me.
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of network connection do you have?

edit the /etc/conf.d/net file to suit your needs (i.e. assign IP address, or use dhcp,) and then save it.

To have eth0 come up when you start your system, add it to the default runlevel by typing the following:

rc-update add net.eth0 default

Also, make sure you compiled the appropriate nic driver into your kernel. If you did it as a module, make sure you have the module in /etc/modules.autoload.

Registered linux user #287718
Dragon561
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Driver Reply with quote

It was only driver problem. I compiled the wrong driver into my kernel. It is a Realtek 8059 (or something close to that) . I tied using the newer driver and that didn't worrk. It is actually a clone of of a NE2000 and it works perfectly now. Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: