IA64 : Mandrake to Gentoo conversion -> Best way
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiryou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: IA64 : Mandrake to Gentoo conversion -> Best way Reply with quote

Hiya all. We are looking at getting a fileserver and network server when our current linux guru moves out. Since i know gentoo better than other distros i'd like to use Gentoo. We managed to fish out an Itanium from a skip with dual 666mhz processors and 2Gig of RAM. Its more than enough for our needs but being as its an IA64 architecture it makes things difficult.

I've managed to figure out this eLilo and boot loader business but the only way i managed to get past this was to use mandrake linux. So now, i have mandrake 8.1 when i really want gentoo. I have one drive with 4 partitions: /boot, /boot/efi, / and /storage. The question im asking is what is the best way to get gentoo onto this system.

My thoughts are: get the stage1 for gentoo ia64 and burn this to a CD or download it. Chroot into a temp directory and follow the install guide. Once installed is there an easy way to move that temp directory to the root and have it all run nicely? Cheers
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any experience with IA64 myself (the only machines I have here are IA32 and MIPS boxes). Could you perhaps do the following:

- Grab a spare hard drive (min recommended size: 8GB, IDE or SCSI).
- Boot up Mandrake, fdisk & format the drive, and download the stage tarball for IA64...
- Do the installation according to the install guide -- This gets you a working installation on the drive.
- Attempt a boot off the drive, to check it all works, and to do any fine tuning...

Then to replace Mandrake:
- Back up Mandrake, repartition the drives formerly containing mandrake. Format them.
- Run
Code:
# find / | grep -v ^/proc/ | grep -v ^/sys/ | grep -v ^/dev/ > /filelist.txt

This generates a list of files to be copied over, minus device nodes and /proc entries. These will be created later.
- Mount the partitions on the freshly formatted drives. Put them under the mountpoint /hd (example -- use whatever you want, this is what I use -- just remember to substitute in what you use.)
- Copy the data across...
Code:
# tar -cT /filelist.txt -f - | tar -C /hd -xvf -

- Do any adjustments (i.e. /hd/etc/fstab at minimum)
- Unmount, shutdown, unplug temporary drive, and attempt a boot.

If things go wrong, restore Mandrake from your backups.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
guitou
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than installing from a live-CD, you could do it from your Mandrake, if you have space left (or can do some) for Gentoo.

Instructions [url]http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml here[/url].
NicolBolas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: simpliest way Reply with quote

I've done that several time on x86 machines, i don't think it'll be a lot different on ia64. What I do is:
1) boot mandrake's setup
2) partition your drive with the definitive partition map
3) set the root for mandrake stup to your future /storage partition
4) once mandrake installed, mount the future / (hda1 or so) as /mnt/gentoo
5) extract your stage1 in it and start building your system as described in the install guide
6) once gentoo is running, wipe out the content of /storage and you're in ;)
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are you getting on with the itanium ive been thinking about getting on now they seem to be going for sensible cash, if not that often on ebay mostly as i want to play with openvms but gentoo compatibility would also help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: