Advice on dual head setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtsquirrel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Advice on dual head setup Reply with quote

I inherited a Sun Ultra10 at work and almost immediately replaced Solaris with Gentoo. Now my company is finding all these extra monitors laying around, so I start thinking "dual monitors."

As I'm new to the SPARC line of hardware, I wanted to find out from the more knowledgeable. The Ultra10 has several PCI slots available ... I could easily throw a PCI video adapter into one of these and get my dual setup going from there. However, can I plug a regular PCI video adapter l(like an nVidia or ATI or S3) into a SPARC riser?

That being said, this Ultra10 has an ATI Mach 64 onboard. Using an additional ATI Mach 64 would be ideal, as the supported resolution would be 1600x1200 on both monitor and video card.

Thanks for the info!

chris
smart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently trying such myself and found it's at least not "plug what you find". Most PC graphics cards seem not to work, in fact all i tried up till now didn't but at the same time, i only tried such which would give me an edge over this builtin crap, since it's slooow. You will be able to watch it building up the windows on 1600x1400.
However, i've got the feeling the issue is not hopeless. Some argued that there might be some BIOS functionality involved the OBP doesn't sport, but i don't see that. The OS & X set the graphics chip up, with the only exception of low level hardware setup, PCI that is. Right now i see nothing else involved.
In my eyes PCI setup goes wrong. I'll try and find out a bit more this weekend by comparing what PCI on PC and sparc do to the cards settings. Right now it seems to me that the size of mapped memory regions over PCI are not correct. as said, i will do a comparison for a few cards this weekend, would be nice to have more samples :)
assuming that a difference in this holds true, next would be to try and find out why.
long speech, small sense: it seems to me PCI doesn't set up correctly and my guess is when this is fixed it will work.
i might just as welkl be completely wrong, though.
smart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems, Matrox MGA cards should work. I've plugged in an MGA G2 quad and in principle it works. When i move around a window though, the more i move it the more pixel errors it collects inside this window. First violet, finally black. Strange that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: