Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X.org Lockups
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javac16
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
Ok I've installed the new xorg

By new xorg do you mean 6.8.99.5?

I backed down my nvidia and related packages last night:
nvida-kernel to 1.0.6629
nvidia-glx to 1.0.6629-r1
opengl-update to 2.1.1-r1

I'll update how things go.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes javac16, it is 6.8.99.5. Ok, update - I have tried with renderaccel off (I have read it somewhere) and it works, kde starts, the drawback is that it is not so fast, but i don't use composite and nvidia is faster than the nv driver. I don't know if this will function in the long run ::))
The strange fact is that I have always had renderaccel on and there weren't any problems till recently ::(((
Probably it has sth to do with the kernel and the fast pace in which new features are pumped in, probably it is time for the graphics card manufactures to recognize these problems and opensource the drivers, at least for the 2d acceleration. The other option is sth like the m$ certification model for the drivers, but there must be some way out. Nowadays no one could say what is happening in the driver and it could easily break the system after a simple kernel update or sth like this. And what is happening to the people, which are installing linux for the first time or the corporations, which are willing to change to linux, after such a problem?
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downgraded to the 6629 drivers. So far I've noticed that I'm running at agp8x now instead of 4x like with the newer drivers. Lets see how stable it is.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given 2.6.10-gentoo-r7 eventually had a crash on me, I have updated to 2.6.11-gentoo-r7 to see how that goes. In the meantime I of course have to re-emerge ati-drivers for the new kernel. The following message at the end contains the following
Code:
        ewarn "If you are experiencing problems with memory allocation try to add"
        ewarn "this line to in your X11 configuration file:"
        ewarn "         Option \"KernelModuleParm\"  \"agplock=0\" "
        ewarn "That should solve the hangups you could have with Neverwinter Nights"

Gergan Penkov's debug info makes me ask if you all think this could have some bearing on the problem -- at least with ATI cards?
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm new to this Gentoo thing, and pretty much new to Linux in general. I played with Mandrake and Mepis before trying out Gentoo. Gentoo intrigued me because it could be built to suit your individual system... So far, not so good.

Machine 1
Abit An8-Nvidia NForce 4 chipset
NForce Ethernet
Athlon64 3500
1G PC3200 Ram
Nvidia 6600/128M PCI-x type video card
SB pci512 style audio card
2 ATA 133 SATA 80G harddrives
2 ATA 100 PATA 200G harddrives
1 HP cdr
1 Pioneer DVDr

Machine2
Abit IC7G-Intel 875P chipset
Intel Pro Ethernet
P4 3.0 with 1M cache
1G PC3200 Ram
Nvidia 5200/128M AGP 8x video card
SB (ens1370) style audio card
2 ata 66 40G drives
1 ata 33 2G drive
1 Acer cdr

I ran into the same problem that we're discussing here - on one machine - the other, no problem!

The reason for this post is to reiterate something that MalachiX said a few pages ago. This problem has to be specific to Xorg. My reasoning is this. I built 2.6.11-r6 on the AMD machine from a stage 3 tarball with USE= KDE, QT, DVD and CDR flags, CFLAG= march=k8, -pipe -O3, and specifically set the kernel to an AMD64 chip (I've used both Genkernel and manual configurations in my many attempts to make this work - but that's a different story). After the kernel was compiled I emerged Xorg. (8.6.2 I believe.) I configured X and thought everything was good. If I type XDM, it starts. If I type exit in the terminal box, it unloads. If I try to use the mouse to close the terminal box the machine locks. The mouse still moves but no keyboard or mouse control. (Magic Key works) The same thing happens if I use the mouse to try and exit. If in the terminal box, I type nano -w rc.conf, it fills the box, but I can't page down/up or exit and once again the machine is locked. With the misguided thought that KDE would fix this, I emerged kdebase and its accompanying dependencies. Typing KDM brings up a perfectly good log-in screen - that doesn't function! The mouse moves, but won't press any buttons and the keyboard is inoperative. Startkde brings up the blue screen (that won't explode my head-lol) and the bottom of the splash screen and that's it. Once again, no keyboard or mouse control. Those last two items may be backwards, I'm sitting at work (the cab of a semi-tractor) so I don't have that machine in front of me. As you can see, my problem with Xorg started before I had KDE, or Firefox or any of those other programs installed that caused problems for other folks!

Now, to compound the mystery, the P4 box was built basically the same way. Stage 3 tarball, genkernel, etc. I actually installed Gentoo on that box to have a reference for the AMD box I was having trouble with. I installed Xorg on the P4 box, configured it, emerged ALL of KDE configured it - and it all worked! Eventually, I emerged the "official" Nvidia drivers and they worked too! So far, no lock-ups at all. I don't use a screen saver, just a blank screen, and it always come back to life! The xorg.conf files are configured (or were before I installed the Nvidia drivers) identically. I have one monitor and one mouse connected to both machines through a kvm switch so that eliminates the mouse and monitor.

Now, as I'm new to this, I don't know anything about "ssh-ing" and such, but after doing the Magic-Key-b I went into the BIOS and checked the processor temp and it was significantly higher than under normal operation so that would lead me to believe that I was experiencing that 99% duty cycle thing. Isn't there a way to log the events that lead up to this? When you do the Magic-Key-r, can you clear the screen? When I do that, it corrupts the top inch or so of screen, and I can see that I'm typing something, but it's covered with graphics. Where do I go from here? I'll be home again this weekend and need some ideas!!!

Well, I hope that this will give those who know more than I do something to chew on...
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalk another strike on the chalkboard. Another crash. The following ATI setting made do difference
Code:
Option "KernelModuleParm"           "agplock=0"

As a reminder, that was 2.6.11-gentoo-r7 I was using. I was up just over 5 hours.

Also, another question:
Would using 4K stacks in the kernel make a difference?
HecHacker1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running fine with the newest Xorg here (my whole system is always on the bleeding edge, I just did an emerge -u --deep world). But I am a Gnome user. So far I noticed that compared to 6.8.2, the new 6.8.99.5 has fixed a lot of my xcompmgr problems. For example, GVim used to fade into the foreground and would not refresh because of the composite. Now everything seems to render perfectly. The only bug I still see is if you scroll up a page fast enough sometimes it doesn't refresh.

Oh yeah, I also got the recursive symlink problem. So I had to delete:

Code:
rm -r /usr/share/fonts/fonts

to get Xorg to respond correctly after emerging it.

Of course though I am using a Nvidia 6800GT, so I have the brute force to run the xcompmgr.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continues here.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

Jump to: