Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X.org Lockups
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my previous post (8:26 pm) I have not experienced a lockup ... at that time I recompiled my kernel without Preempt The Big Kernel Lock -- I was using it before. That is probably the single most important change I made going from 2.6.10 to 2.6.11 -- it's new in 2.6.11.

Of course 3.5 hours is not a very long time, as I have run longer between lockups. How many others here are using the Preempt The Big Kernel Lock? Can anyone definitely rule this out -- i.e. are not using it and still experiencing lockups?
trappix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: preempt big kernel lock Reply with quote

im building 2.6.10-r7 (obviously without preempt big kernel lock) ill let you know how it turns out in the morning, the only thing im looking for is improved kde functioning, but mine ran just fine before i started fiddling with nvidia drivers, and now its all gone to hell in a handbasket... anyway ill let you know how it turns out on the morrow :)
Nerdanel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using preempting the big kernel lock, but I got lockups before the option became available in the kernel in 2.6.11. I remember the option because I was thinking it was another thing I should change from my previous kernel just in case it worked. I also checked the debugging option for the big kernel lock and never once got it log anything.

Interestingly, I haven't had freezes for several days now after I downgraded to glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1. However on a closer look at my logs I noticed that I had updated my glibc nearly a week after my troubles started. Perhaps my success (which is to be confirmed properly anyway) is not about the glibc but rather compatibility between various versions and "emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world && emerge -e world" would make things work with the current glibc.

Last edited by Nerdanel on Mon May 02, 2005 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
MalachiX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdgill0 wrote:
Of course 3.5 hours is not a very long time, as I have run longer between lockups. How many others here are using the Preempt The Big Kernel Lock? Can anyone definitely rule this out -- i.e. are not using it and still experiencing lockups?

I have compiled my kernel with and without the preempt and still experienced freezes. I can DEFINITELY rule this out as the cause. 100% this is not the cause.

I'd like to see how long this other guy runs with his downgraded glibc...
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalachiX wrote:
jdgill0 wrote:

I have compiled my kernel with and without the preempt and still experienced freezes. I can DEFINITELY rule this out as the cause. 100% this is not the cause.

I'd like to see how long this other guy runs with his downgraded glibc...

Yep, I can 100% rule Preempt The Big Kernel Lock is not the cause too. Sometime during the night xorg crashed again on me. I ssh'd into my machine and found xorg running 100% as others have reported.

I just downgraded to 2.6.10-r7, the one I was running before I moved to 2.6.11. I don't recall having this problem before upgrading to 2.6.11 -- although I could be mistaken, however time will tell I suppose. This problem really is a major pain in the $#@. :twisted:
Nerdanel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the problem with 2.6.10-r5 but it might be about some specific options.

EDIT - Now the machine just locked up again, regardless of glibc. This was an unusually long stable stretch, though.
spacesun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: not an NVIDIA problem? Reply with quote

some entries in /var/log/messages

Apr 27 11:34:21 spacesun NVRM: Xid: 6, PE0000 0400 00ffffff 00000000 00ffffff 00f7efde
Apr 27 20:08:09 spacesun NVRM: Xid: 6, PE0000 0400 00ffffff 00000000 00ffffff 00f7efde
Apr 28 13:09:56 spacesun NVRM: Xid: 6, PE0000 0400 fffefffb 00000000 fffefffb fff6f9ef
May 2 13:52:32 spacesun NVRM: Xid: 6, PE0000 0400 fffffffb 00000000 fffffffb ffb7d7fe

i had only freezes with the nvidia drivers!!!
moved to nv
nvidia-kernel 1.0.6629-r4
nvidia-glx 1.0.6629-r1
i hope some one can do something mit this log i dont know any more!
Linux version 2.6.11.5 gcc version 3.3.5-20050130 Gentoo Linux 3.3.5.20050130-r1, ssp-3.3.5.20050130-1, pie-8.7.7.
xorg-x11 6.8.2-r1
hope someone solve this problem !
so i get back to nvidia drivers
gabio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting annoyoing. A complete distro is freezing and no one can tell what the problem is. 2005.0 was released with that bug you know. I get freeze since january.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I ran KDE (last night) it ran for 3.5 hours before xorg locked up. I have switched back to 2.6.10-gentoo-r7 (although it is ~x86 -- but that's what I was using before 2.6.11) and have not experienced a lock up over the 4 hours it has been running. I have the usual load of crap running that I typically have running and which typically is running when xorg locks up.

I'll report back in a few more hours -- hopefully without any xorg crashes.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok summary of my experience: It all started somehow, when I changed to 2005.0, I could not track the problem to anything exact, because this s...ty profile had cause the ufed and profuse to operate somehow strange and to nullify all my use flags, which I strangely noticed after some updates and recompilations (alas gcc, glibc and kde were updated in the same time).
After that the freezes have begun.
First, I thought it is ipv6 ... strangely enough (after I have recompiled the kernel with ipv6), I didn't have lockups for a week.
Second, I thought it is something with glibc, downgraded and another week without lockups.
Third, tried different settings in kernel, different kernels, old and new drivers, xorg, nothing helps.
I unmerged kde, deleted all orphaned files and now am emerging the split builds.
Now I know that the kde startup problem (which is of no great importance for me) and the firefox lockups have the same cause, because they disappear with the nv-driver.
I could easily inflict the lockups with the local copy of the VmWare users manual, three-four clicks in Galeon and xorg freezes.
But this leads to nothing essential. I think the next step is to reinstall the system ...
It is simply unbelievable.
I hope someone will have the chance to find the cause of this nasty problem.
:)
fotisaueb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have KDE open with a lot of tasks open plus Kdeveloper from 09:00 am now its 23:17 and still no crash.
What I did is the following.
Opened an ssh client from my laptop to the gentoo box and run startx from my laptop. That resulted in X server start and of course kde started on my gentoo box .The background messages of x server could be seen in the ssh session.
It was not an ssh X forwarding just a remote execution of a command. The whole idea was to run kde on my gentoo box and to view the commands and possible errors of X from my ssh client.

Until now no crash. I dont know why is this happening but if I startx locally on my gentoo box that will lead on a kde freeze after 6hours of usage.

Give it a try.

Last edited by fotisaueb on Mon May 02, 2005 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotisaueb wrote:
I have KDE open with a lot of tasks open plus Kdeveloper from 09:00 am now its 23:17 and still no crash.
What I did is the following.
Opened an ssh client from my laptop to the gentoo box and run startx from my laptop. That resulted in X server start and of course kde started on my gentoo box .T he background messages of x server could be seen in the ssh session.
It was not an ssh X forwarding just a remote execution of a command. The whole idea was to run kde on my gentoo box and viewing the commands and possible errors of X from my ssh client.

Until now no crash. I dont now why is this happening but if I startx locally on my gentoo box that would lead on a kde freeze after 6hours of usage.

Give it a try.

Running xorg/KDE through ssh would cause DRI to not load right? I wonder if this xorg problem is related to DRI, as others have said the nv drivers do not cause the crash, and nv doesn't have DRI support right? (I don't have an nvidia card.)
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not, it must load dri and all the things, because it uses the same display. You simply start, a session from ssh on the other host. It conforms to my observations that I could start a kde session, when direct after the nvidia logo change very fast to console, than there is no lock (see my earlier post) and kde runs, till I start its hardware manager (I don't know, how it is called) for example.
fotisaueb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the following link http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10449808
of DRI sourceforge mailing list you can find other uses complaining about xorg lockups whenever an app needs 3d accelation.

But putting the blame on DRI is a bit faulty.
If DRI and xorg crash when 3d accelation is needed then why most of us experience lockups on kde where normally 3d accelation is not needed. Additionally DRI is designed for ATI 3dFX Matrox and Intel chipsets that means that Nvidia drivers dont support it. Then why nvidia users experience lockups too?

The strange is that gentoo developping team hasn't make any comment till now although the problem exists for months
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't blaming DRI ... I was suggesting maybe the problem was related to DRI -- i.e. maybe KDE + DRI has a problem, more so on KDE's side at that.

Also, why would you automatically assume DRI is loaded when running KDE/xorg through ssh? ... you in fact don't get hardware acceleration for applications run through ssh -- I have had to deal with running opengl apps through ssh a lot in the past, only if you run the app locally can you get hardware accel for opengl, otherwise it resorts to software accel. So maybe even if you get DRI loaded, that's not to say your apps are actually able to use it through ssh.

UPDATE:
I have now been running 5.5 hours without a crash since moving back to 2.6.10-r7 kernel.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it is loaded locally he starts it from another console, but xorg runs on the local machine, that's why I think it would load all the modules and will run opengl applications normally, because xorg would not communicate over ssh to some client ::)) I'll try it in a hour or so when the kde is compiled.
fotisaueb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously thinking to change ati drivers and fglrx to the simple vesa or the radeon module which is included in kernel sources as far as I can see precompiled ati drivers cause a lot of probles.
javac16
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding myself to the list of users hit with this:
Gnome 2.8.3-r1
Nvidia Quadro 2 Pro - 1.0.7174
xorg-x11 6.8.3-r1
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

javac16 wrote:
Just adding myself to the list of users hit with this:
Gnome 2.8.3-r1
Nvidia Quadro 2 Pro - 1.0.7174
xorg-x11 6.8.3-r1

What kernel are you using?

UPDATE:
I now have 7.5 hours behind me, no crash yet -- after having downgraded to 2.6.10-gentoo-r7. If I make it to 12 hours that will be a record for me over the past 2 weeks.
javac16
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot...
2.6.11-gentoo-r6
trappix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Hey nice to see another Quadro2 Pro user with problems :) Well 2.6.10-r7 didnt work out so well, 2.6.12-rc3-mm2 didnt either. Rebuild xorg and kde, still have the lockups. DRI is not the problem, ive never had it on my box at any point and im still having the problems.. it definitely has to do with X acceleration though, specifically glx.. when i switch to the NV driver, my kde still throttles CPU and ram, but at least it doesnt hang..
MalachiX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has nothing to do with KDE. We have a problem with xorg locking up. Anyone who thinks that it is environment related is mistaken. Lockups have occured on all desktop environments not just KDE.
Nerdanel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdgill, if your computer stays up, please post a diff of your two kernel configs. It would really help narrow things down if we see what you changed to get a locking kernel.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting from ssh-session didn't help, I haven't had the time to look if it will be locking in gnome and galeon, but kde fails to start. Changing my cordless combo with normal didn't help either. I don't have usb combo anymore to try if this makes difference.
javac16
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm Reply with quote

Read through a bunch of this thread again. I don't have any problems with X when I am not actively doing anything...meaning it doesn't just take over the CPU on its own. Whether it is coincidence or not, I really don't know, I have noticed the majority of my lockups when using firefox...switching tabs, clicking on bookmarks in the menu items, scrolling the page.

I remember having this problem the first time it came around as welll (9 months ago or so); it seemed to fix itself eventually.

Also my nvidia-glx and opengl-update information (has anyone had better luck with stable?):
opengl-update 2.2.1
just noticed that nvidia-glx-1.0.7174-r3 isn't in portage anymore--has anyone tried -r4? I am installing now

trappix wrote:
Hey nice to see another Quadro2 Pro user with problems

Same here, though I wish neither of us had them. Thanks for the info about the various kernels not working out. :(

I used to run on 2.6.11-r4 or r5 with no problems. However, I needed to change my file partition sizes around and the backup/restore didn't go exactly according to plan and I ended up reinstalling gentoo...every since then I have had the problems. The biggest change I made was to convert the filesystem from XFS to ReiserFS 3.6. Doubt this will help figure anything out though.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 26 of 28

Jump to: