Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
postgresql e-build - why depend on j2sdk-1.3.1_05?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keifir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: postgresql e-build - why depend on j2sdk-1.3.1_05? Reply with quote

hi,

i'm a newbie - so forgive me if this is smthg obvious that i ask

i tried to emerge postgresql-7.2.3 tday - it showed me dependancy with j2sdk-1.3.1_05. The thing is the Sun's site has j2sdk-1.3.1_06 already - and the build file only accepts the j2sdk-1.3.1_05 one.

so i went to my make.conf and put "-java" - now i can compile postgres.

But the thing is why depend on an old version of jdk when i have jdk-1.4.1 installed? And why that particular version: not 1.3.1_06 but 1.3.1_05?

thx,

keifir

Last edited by keifir on Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have sun java 1.4.1 which is even *newer*. However, if you want to install sun java 1.3.1_06 and use it to comple postrgres, follow sun's instructions, and then
> emerge inject dev-java/sun-jdk-1.3.1.06

and your system will know you installed sun-jdk-1.3.1.06 and compile against that java jdk.

The reason why it isn't up is the developer hasn't got around to putting up the sun-jdk. I think that most developers here like the ibm-jdk better . . .
keifir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for your reply,

actually i just want to install postgres :). But i'll try to use ibm's jdk - i didn't know it's more 'favoured'.

so in order for ebuild to succed with my current jdk , i just do
inject java-myinstalledversion
and emerge will pick it up?

thx,

keifir
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no....

Emerge will not know the files that you installed. (Therefore uninstallation is a problem) However, your system will think that you have installed the specified package (which you have) and will use that package for compilation. However, gentoo java specific extensions may not work correctly, since they have a mechanism to have multiple java virtual machines on the same computer.

The reason why I think the IBM jdk is more favored is becuase if you look at the articles section on www.gentoo.org, they all point to the IBM site. You don't bite the hand that feeds you, so they will favor IBM over SUN anyday.
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: postgresql e-build - why depend on j2sdk-1.3.1_05? Reply with quote

keifir wrote:

But the thing is why depend on an old version of jdk when i have jdk-1.4.1 installed? And why that particular version: not 1.3.1_06 but 1.3.1_05?

I think the main reason for depending on jdk 1.3.x is, that postgresql 7.2 will not build with jdk 1.4.x.

Quote:
* The 7.2 source code will not build under the 1.4 JDK. You will either need the prebuilt JDBC2 driver, or build with a 1.2 or 1.3 JDK. The 7.3 source code should build fine in all environments. (http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html)

Simon
keifir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx simon,

that reminds me i'll have to build jdbc when i need it. Thx guys for ur replies,

keifir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidler wrote:
The reason why I think the IBM jdk is more favored is becuase if you look at the articles section on www.gentoo.org, they all point to the IBM site. You don't bite the hand that feeds you, so they will favor IBM over SUN anyday.

That might be part of it, but I imagine the reason is a little more techinical than that. The IBM JDKs are known for being highly tuned for the non-graphic packages. It's a generally good JDK for driving computational and server applications. (IBM has invested quite a bit of effort in java profiling research.) YMMV

Take a look at www.ibm.com/java

/Paul
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could Be...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: