58%  [ 7 ]
Make way, I might be a doctor
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Community Credits Reply with quote

I woke up this morning to find I have had a promotion. A n00b no longer. This sort of relates to the redesign of the Gentoo website. This forum is sort of seperate to the website in that , if I'm not wrong, its off-the-shelf or closed source software (but that's not what I'm about right now). I guess a certain amount of posts must earn you higher status or maybe its time-based, I don't know.

How about if it was based on how many support questions you'd managed to assist on in the forums (and other lil' helper criteria)! The unanswered posts would drop I'll bet. Accreditation from your Gentoo fellows! Reward those that help others. It might even encourage some to seek real accreditation (online exams and stuff from Gentoo -another idea!) which would be a way to help pay for this natty website, more bandwidth, free pizza for developers whatever...
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't read the FAQ, did you?
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ectospasm wrote:
You didn't read the FAQ, did you?

Er :? - I'm saying that rankings should be merit based as opposed to simply the number of posts. What are you saying?
andrew_j_w
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people over at GameDev.net have implemented quite a nice feature where you can rank other users based on your experience with them.

It has only recently been implemented, so it's a little early to say how it'll work in the long run, but it seems to be working well.

Andrew

Edit: This might be worth considering. I guess you need to find out if it has been used on any other popular boards before you could consider it.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:

Er :? - I'm saying that rankings should be merit based as opposed to simply the number of posts. What are you saying?

You're wanting these to be moderated then. Like Slashdot, with their Karma.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma's cool but what about based on assists? Like minor accreditation or certification for Gentoo. Maybe even something for your resume - like a number of points scored. Would it really be a bad thing?
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be difficult to enforce. Who gets to decide whether a post is helpful or not? The person requesting help? Not everyone responds to help with a "hey, thanks, it worked." There'd have to be some sort of incentive to giving someone a rating, and not all posts are even remotely related to support issues (Off-the-Wall, Gentoo Chat). Dividing the forums like that would be tricky, I think.
Stregone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun java forums have a sort of play money thing. Everyone starts off with some, and whoever has the most gets some little prize at the end of every month.

Newbies can add the money to the questions they post, which gives people incentive to answer them in a polite and helpful manner. When the poster gets the help he wanted he releases the money to the person or persons who helped him. You can't get money back after you attach it to a post.
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not see why such a system would be necessary.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neenee wrote:

To encourage people to help each other. A high Gentoo rating would be great kudos even a marketable skill (for the more materialistic amongst you). Unanswered posts would be like gold dust. I'd advocate that someone could spread, let's just say, two hundred and fifty six points per problem between people who help solved it or otherwise cheered them up. There's lots of scope but its basically a peer system. It could also be used to fine people who misbehave! :twisted: Although I'm not really in favour of board nannies. The idea could even be extrapolated to merchandising - a GENTOO mug with your points on (all proceeds to charity please).
vonhelmet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting idea, but I think the people who are just here to chat would just keep on chatting and not helping and not care about their ranking.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neenee wrote:

Of course you are right. There should be no need to encourage people to help each other.
reisio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Community Credits Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
This forum is...closed source software

phpBB is open-source
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a proponent of discussion forums NOT increasing post count. Someone also mentioned creating a mod that had the potential to influence rank based on where users posted. A non-realistic example of a new rank: "Ignore me, I'm an OTW troll!"

Modifying phpbb code makes it a pain to upgrade when security fixes need to be applied. So, in other words, it isn't likely to change.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Credits Reply with quote

reisio wrote:
hollerith wrote:

phpBB is open-source

Really! And this is it? I've seen this template used on heaps of forums and its pretty good. Where can I get me some of that?
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Credits Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
reisio wrote:
hollerith wrote:

phpBB is open-source

Really! And this is it? I've seen this template used on heaps of forums and its pretty good. Where can I get me some of that?

Clicking the link might be a start...
reisio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Credits Reply with quote

nephros wrote:
hollerith wrote:
reisio wrote:
hollerith wrote:

phpBB is open-source

Clicking the link might be a start...

ah, that put a smile on my face :D (no offense to anybody, just made me smile is all)

on most forum systems (like this one) you can find a link to the homepage at the very bottom around the coypright information

subSilver (the look this forum is basically using [albeit well-modified]) IS indeed rather nice. It was made by the nice people over at subblue.com (which I'm disappointed to say is now a flash site...yeck) for phpBB

You can usually find versions of subSilver for most popular forum systems (including IPB and vBulletin). phpBB, however, is of course very rawkin' because its open source
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl I'm off to start a forum for the colorblind where you get credits for spotting links...

Later...

Wow I've checked it out and there are zillions of cool skins and it looks really simple to set up - er... no offense admin ;)

I guess the thing to do is mention it phpbb and suggest its a useful feature.

But most people think its a crap idea for this forum so fair enough. Can anybody tell me why though? Why is /. ok but gentoo no way?

...and I was all excited I'd had an original idea for once too :( :cry:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: