New forum suggestion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: New forum suggestion Reply with quote

It's just chance that I'm posting this immediatly after someone else suggested a new forum. I came to this forum in order to make the suggestion, not seeinging someone else make it and then follow up with one of my own.

Anyways. It seems that there is a lot of queries about 1.4, it's status etc. Looking at bugzilla gives you a big list of bugs, but looking further into the bugs, (the 2 or 3 that I looked at) it looks like a lot of them are enhancements. My suggestion for a new forum, is a restricted one, where only developers and moderators can participate. The forum topic is "state of the union" or "State of the Gentoo". It's purpose would be different from announcements in that it would be unofficial and would allow interested lurkers to view the current state. I would expect topics to be things like, "Gentoo 1.4 is in new apps freeze state", with comments by developers saying things like, "I think 1.4 still has a long ways to go" or "I think 1.4 is getting close, perhaps 2 weeks".

note that the forum is supposed to be unoffical information and is the inner circle's view of the world of Gentoo. It's purpose is to allow lurkers to stay informed without the clutter of thousands of posts to look through.

what do you think?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem #1 would be that developers aren't often on the forums. The gentoo-dev mailing list would probably cover this much more easily.
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible then to dup the gentoo mailing list to the forum? I know that people would like to occasionally watch, but (I for one) don't want to sign up for yet another mailing list.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is, the answer would be that it isn't practical. One of the Site Admins will have to field the question for a definitive answer though.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iplayfast wrote:
Would it be possible then to dup the gentoo mailing list to the forum? I know that people would like to occasionally watch, but (I for one) don't want to sign up for yet another mailing list.

If someone wants to write the program/script to sync the mailing list and the forum, I'll be glad to look into implementing it. Currently, however, there are no functions built into phpBB to facilitate this.

--kurt
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
If someone wants to write the program/script to sync the mailing list and the forum, I'll be glad to look into implementing it.

This sounds interesting. If I have a Hack-Attack on the weekend, I'll look into it.

-- Curious
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: