Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
reemerging ALSA every time after modules_install...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: reemerging ALSA every time after modules_install... Reply with quote

Hello!

'make modules_install' completely erases alsa modules from the module tree. Do I have te reemerge ALSA every time after recompiling modules or am I doing something wrong.

This now can be disregarded as it is a shameless repost of a non-answered question from some previous threads...

btw... I'd be glad to get rid of ALSA if someone could tell me, why a normal user can not use /dev/dsp device if driven by OSS... And yes, I do have a group *audio, which I am a member of and devfs *IS configured to set proper ownership to the devices. What is does not do well at all is setting the permissions of symlinkx like /dev/dsp. They are owned by root and not writeable by anyone... Hence, nobody except root can use /dev/dsp... either under ALSA OSS emulation or OSS native. DevFS screws the links by giving them wrong permissions. KDE soundsystem works, but only because it uses orginal ALSA devfs entries and not their links (/dev/dsp).[/i]
Myo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Important: This means, whenever you recompile your kernel later on, you MUST recompile alsa-driver.

Straight from gentoo docs for installing alsa :)
Qubax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a beta-kernel (2.5.41) already including alsa, so you don't have to remerge alsa after modules_install. i didn't try it out, but i think it is worth it
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good option is to do 'emerge -b alsa'. This will store the compiled sources in /usr/portage/packages. Then, whenever you change your kernel, do 'emerge -k alsa'. This will install using the compiled packages if they exist, which only takes about 5-10 seconds. Bear in mind that if you perform major changes to your kernel (like enabling/disabling preemptiveness), the stored files may no longer work and you'll need to recompile anyways.
toni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Thanx Reply with quote

Thanx a bundle, guys.
This is good info!

Here's a solution I am not really proud of, but....
Ok... I went about it the "idiot-duzz-it" and copied the directory containing the alsa modules outside the module tree. After recompiling the kernel modules I copied the directory back to it's original location and run update-modules...
Voila.

Thanx!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: