maple9 on amd64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjrooke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: maple9 on amd64 Reply with quote

I've seen some posts about maple on gentoo, but have never seen anybody mention success with Maple on amd64. Anybody using it?

Here's my experience:

First copied my install from previous 32-bit linux 2.4 - that didn't work at all
Replaced INSTALLDIR/jre.IBM_INTEL_LINUX with a link to my current blackdown jdk/jre
Maple9 will run, but the help browser does not work
Maple seems to work ok otherwise

CD has a JRE that doesn't work with amd64 - so you can't install from cd
If I copy the CD and replace IMAGEPATH/Linux/Linux/resource/jre with a current from /opt/*jdk*/jre, I can install Maple9 on amd64 kernel 2.6.7

If I use sun-jdk beta 2/3:
When I start it, the graphics don't seem to work, but the help browser works... pretty much - graphics characters don't quite work (math symbols) and the icons on the maple toolbar don't work. math symbols also fail in the maple canvas.

so, I run two copied of maple at a time - one with blackdown jre and one with sunjdk beta2

better than nothing...
jeffroman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have maple9, but i havent had a chance to install it yet. Right now, Im working on getting my raid card to work, once im good there, Ill be all about trying to get maple to work with 64bit. Since maple was 1 of 3 big reasons i wanted 64bit gentoo anyways. Give me a week or so. Im so backed up at work right now, I dont know when ill be able to get around to it. Plus, im going to re-bootstrap with gcc 3.4, and udev, and all the goodies, so i dont have to mess around later.
jeffroman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i got my system set up almost all of the way, but i need to get maple working. The nag packages with maple should be pretty awesome with 64bit opterons. anyways, i know it wont be 64bit limitations with the install because first here are the systems it can be installed on...

Code:

http://www.maplesoft.com/products/maple/new/requirements.shtml

if TRU64 works, then it should for us as well. I think. Ill mess with it when i get home tonight. I might buy 9.5 and see whats going on with that too.
Moos3man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: I have Maple 8 working (sort of) Reply with quote

I dont know if some of this might be helpfull.

What I have got working: console version of maple.

What is not working: xmaple (i think it is motif based and so I need to make some sort of emul-x86-motif package for it to work)

I used the installer and installed to /opt and did only minor modifications to make it use the 32 bit opengl library directory.

xmaple is segfaulting:
Code:
./bin/xmaple
/opt/maple8/bin/maple: line 155: 21212 Segmentation fault      /opt/maple8/bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/maplew

Code:
bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/maplew: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/32/libstdc++.so.5: no version information available (required by /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1)
bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/maplew: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/32/libstdc++.so.5: no version information available (required by /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1)
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x5556a000)
        libGLU.so.1 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 (0x555e3000)
        libXt.so.6 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x5565b000)
        libXmu.so.6 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0x556ab000)
        libX11.so.6 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x556c0000)
        libXext.so.6 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x55786000)
        libSM.so.6 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x55794000)
        libICE.so.6 => /emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x5579d000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0x557b4000)
        libmclient.so => not found
        libstdc++.so.2.9 => not found
        libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0x557b7000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0x557d9000)
        libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0x55906000)
        libnvidia-tls.so.1 => /usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1 (0x55fde000)
        libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/32/libstdc++.so.5 (0x55fe0000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x560ba000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x55555000)
jeffroman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this isnt the direction we want to take this but do you have a multilib system?
Moos3man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Yes I got a multilib system Reply with quote

Got multilib and all x86-emulation libs in portage installed
rjrooke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: maple9 gui Reply with quote

did you try to relink the JRE? I can't remember what error I was getting, but that was the first hangup... I didn't change any opengl libraries - just using the nvidia glx...
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed maple9 and it works just fine =)
semck83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RJRooke, your hints just saved my new Maple for Students. :-) Got it cheap since it's 9.

I appreciate it!
Stephen
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: maple9 on amd64 Reply with quote

rjrooke wrote:

CD has a JRE that doesn't work with amd64 - so you can't install from cd
If I copy the CD and replace IMAGEPATH/Linux/Linux/resource/jre with a current from /opt/*jdk*/jre, I can install Maple9 on amd64 kernel 2.6.7

Well, I use Maple 9.5, and I can't find an IMAGEPATH, could someone please tell me where I can find it?
Thanks
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: maple9 on amd64 Reply with quote

Hi, I figured it out, but I'm still trying to install Maple 9.5.
Your information have been helping alot so far, but it still won't install. These are my errors
Code:
sh ./installMapleLinuxSU LAX_VM /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/bin/java
Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Launching installer...

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyone knows how to help?
I have all emul-libs installed, and I'm using 2005.0
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hej hej, I was reading my errors, and then I saw this
Code:
error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0

well, well, so is it because I only compiled my glibc with "nptlonly" ?
stevenaleach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Maple 10 + amd64 Reply with quote

I just installed Maple 10 Student edition on amd64. :-)

It must be run with linux32 as it uses the JRE included, and the amd64 version is not included with the student edition, but other than that all is good.

Update: Tried creating a symlink to use blackdown but that appears to be a no-go. Although the interface loaded, it was unable to connect with the kernel. It looks like the included JRE is the only choice at the moment.
roseZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just finished installing Maple 9.01 on amd64. At first the installer threw me this error:
Code:
Error: failed /mnt/cdrom/Linux/Linux/resource/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so, because libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I had no luck playing with the libraries (never been my forté) and I'd like to avoid 32-bit libs anyway.

Using rjrooke's method I replaced the Java VM that the installer was using with my nicely working blackdown VM
before running the install script. After that it worked like a charm! Big thanks to you, rjrooke! Maple is running fine,
except that I seem to share your problem with help system not working - all options are greyed out, and ???-command
and friends output nothing. This is a problem of xmaple only, though. In the command-line version they function properly.

Now, if I just managed to patch it to 9.03 (I'm lucky enough to be able to use my faculty's license, in case anyone's
wondering). The updater also uses its own VM, but the bloody script is a mess :evil: If anyone figured it out, I'd
greatly appreciate your help.

Well, at least it's mostly working...
rensi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Cosby wrote:
Hej hej, I was reading my errors, and then I saw this
Code:
error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0

well, well, so is it because I only compiled my glibc with "nptlonly" ?

I got the same error, but I dont understand what you mean with

Bill Cosby wrote:
so is it because I only compiled my glibc with "nptlonly"

or how you fixed it.

thanks
rensi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I bought Maple 10 and tried to install it with linux32 on my default-linux/amd64/2006.1. I think I have all emul-libs installed.
Heres what i get:
Code:
# linux32 sh ./installMapleLinuxSU
Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Launching installer...

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/tmp/install.dir.11037/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

@stevenleach: maybe you can explain how you did it?

thanks
master_up
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: maple 9 Reply with quote

Maple 9 work fine for my, but i must disable ipv6 support in kernel (solve maple kernel <-> interface connection problem)

for upgrade (to maple 9.0.3) I must provide other java VM, for example:
./LinuxUpgrade.bin LAX_VM /opt/sun-jre-bin-1.6.0/bin/java

I have 32bit student version, running on 64bit sun java VM! (but use `linux32 ./xmaple` is recomanded, computation speed rapidly increases)

I copy fonts from original Maple jre.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/lib/fonts/* int sun java VM directory.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: