Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
which ati-driver version? (ut2k4 unplayable with ati-9600?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: which ati-driver version? (ut2k4 unplayable with ati-9600?) Reply with quote

hi all!

i just got my ati drivers goin and was quite happy until i`ve read in the forums that the best driver would be version-3.2.8 but i installed version-3.9.0 (sigh!). i have an athlon 1800+, 256mb-ram and an ati-9600/128mb running kernel-2.6.7. and i get like 1800FPS.

so here are my questions:

* are these 1800 FPS ok for my kind of system? (i think i´ve read somewhere of an athlon1000 whith nearly that many FPS)

* how many FPS do i need to run ut2004 decently?

* is the 3.2.8 version really the better one?

* how much trouble would it be to change back? (acctually i´m quite happy that i did get them to run in the first place)

* are the advantages worth going thru this trouble?

i hope someone can share his/her wisdom with me! :wink:

:mrgreen:

Last edited by loki99 on Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
sthauck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: ati drivers Reply with quote

if your happy with them then why bother changing . I play ut2k4 just fine with an ati 9000 pro
This is my life and the only way to fail at it is to not experience it.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ati drivers Reply with quote

sthauck wrote:
if your happy with them then why bother changing . I play ut2k4 just fine with an ati 9000 pro

since i´m done emerging ut i just tried it out and it´s like i have to turn every setting to the absolute lowest to be able to play it [darn! i knew it! :roll:]
which driver version are you using and how many FPS do you get running glxgears?

greetings!

Last edited by loki99 on Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: which ati-driver version? Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:
* are these 1800 FPS ok for my kind of system? (i think i´ve read somewhere of an athlon1000 whith nearly that many FPS)

You don't need any FPS, you need 12345 3dmarks! :evil:

Seriously, glxgears is not much of a benchmarking software, only good way to test if ut2004 works properly is to try it. I'd guesstimate that with your hardware it will work reasonably well.

Quote:
* is the 3.2.8 version really the better one?

I haven't really noticed, might be occasionally and in some cases not. But as I haven't really dived in to the ati-driver mess with my secondary comp. that has ati card I wouldn't know, it works for me with 3.9.0 if you don't count problematic tv-out-support and I'm not very eager to change something that is working, especially when it often takes too much trouble.
ap viper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried all the driver versions(I have a 9800 pro) and the Ut2k4 demo was only playable with the 3.28 drivers, even then I had to play with really bad settings. In contrast, I can play the game with everything on high, at 1280x1024 with a decent framerate on Windows. I think it has something to do with the new drivers not recognizing my processor. I'd just mess around until you find the best performing drivers.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ap viper wrote:
I'd just mess around until you find the best performing drivers.

are there any "traps" along the way or do i simply >emerge ati-drivers-3.2.8<

BTW when i do >emerge -pv ati-drivers-3.2.8< i get something like:

!!! Problem in media-video/ati-drivers-3.2.8 dependencies
!!! "Specific key requires an operator (media-video/ati-drivers-3.2.8 ) (Try an ´=´)"

can anyone give me a hint what this means? :oops:

Quote:
In contrast, I can play the game with everything on high, at 1280x1024 with a decent framerate on Windows. I think it has something to do with the new drivers not recognizing my processor.

same here! in windose i have everything turned up to the max and it works perfectly! but doesn´t that have to do with ut running on opengl in linux while windose uses directx?
(don really know! just guessing.)

really would love to play that game on gentoo. i don´t even need it to look as good as on M$. but it oughta look quite decent. (not like 640x480 with every setting in the cellar)
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:

!!! Problem in media-video/ati-drivers-3.2.8 dependencies
!!! "Specific key requires an operator (media-video/ati-drivers-3.2.8 ) (Try an ´=´)"

can anyone give me a hint what this means? :oops:

Heh, it's written in very programmer-centered language, like most other stuff in portage anyways. What it says is that you need to prepend =-symbol to the package when you emerge a specific version:

Code:
emerge -pv =media-video/ati-drivers-3.2.8

Quote:
same here! in windose i have everything turned up to the max and it works perfectly! but doesn´t that have to do with ut running on opengl in linux while windose uses directx?
(don really know! just guessing.)

If I remember correctly, ut's have possibility to use both directx and opengl on windows side, but this doesn't seem to be the actual problem, as I've seen that even nvidia geforce 2 mx on my server machine performs quite well on linux box.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flammie wrote:

Heh, it's written in very programmer-centered language, like most other stuff in portage anyways. What it says is that you need to prepend =-symbol to the package when you emerge a specific version:

Code:
emerge -pv =media-video/ati-drivers-3.2.8

thanx for the tip! :D

loki99

loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok! i tried version 3.2.8 and lost my 3d-ability switched back to 3.9.0 and now it works with 1024x768 at lowest settings but thats ok!

i don have to dual-boot for playing a little game.

thanx to everyone who put up with my little prob!

loki99!

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: