bootstrap fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpb44
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: bootstrap fails Reply with quote

I tried to build gentoo on my Desktop-PC (athlon 1200) WOW!

but texinfo-4.0 is not present on ftp.gnu.org but requested by gcc-2.xx.ebuild (don't know right version numbers).

Will this be fixed so that I can do bootstrap?
simply chnaging TV=4.0 to TV=4.2 doesn't do it!

cu, Bernd
pharynx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: what a bummer Reply with quote

I feel your pain!
I was so pumped up on installing gentoo last night when I assembled my brand new Shuttle SV25.

I left it on bootstrap when I went to bed and I just found out that the texinfo-4.0.tar.gz package can't be found.

Further aggravation comes from the fact that you can't even see what's actually in the ftp.gnu.org in /pub/gnu/texinfo directory so I can fix it.

Gentoo admins, I hope you're reading this forum soon, let's fix this one so it won't leave a bad taste for all newcomers to gentoo because you can't get through even bootstrap!

Thanks, and give me your back... (pat, pat :) )
wpb44
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you see whats in the ftp.gnu.org/... directory?

Look at the last few lines of wget's output and you hav the directory. Then run wget ftp.gnu.org/.../ and you'll get the dir-listing. I did so and there is a texinfo-4.2.tar.gz and the older versions as diff-file. But changing the Version in the /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-2.xxx.ebuild-files doesn't do the solution. Then I get other failure messages.

cu, Bernd
boglott

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: bootstrap fails Reply with quote

I am new to gentoo and ran into the same trouble.
The way I (apparently) solved this problem was to search for a outdated mirror of ftp.gnu.org. On ftp://ftp.timisoara.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/texinfo I found one which still has texinfo-4.0.tar.gz.

Download that file to /usr/portage/distfiles.
Then restart bootstrap.sh.

At least my bootstrap is now continueing. I'm wondering if it happens to reach the end...

Wish me good luck!
wpb44
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one workaround, sure.

But in a few hours, this won't work any more, because mirroring goes on and additionally I'd like to have the newer Version. So it would be better if someone could make a new ebuild-file.

But it seems like they have changes the structure of the tar-file.

cu, Bernd

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please fix this (newer version would be nice) ... a lot of people get irritated at this point of the installation proces :( Especially while trying to bypass this error and trying to bootstrap several times (everything has to be recompiled every time!!)

Grtz

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Stage 3 - problem with /sys-apps/shadow Reply with quote

I got through the bootstrap last night, a started stage 3 but it fails on the shadow-4.0.3 package...apparently they updated ,and the 4.0.2 is no longer there.

Tried to manually install and it says it can't because it might be masked.

So I thought I would start from scratch, and now the bootstrap fails on texinfo :oops:

Any help?
Nels

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow: Take a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1963

Maybe it will help...
Nels
wpb44
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should this help solving our problem?

The given answers are just how to fix the truetype-error. We do not heve this error (yet). Soult we search for texinfo-4.2.tar.gz in the path /truetype/ ? I don't think so.
It's nice that you want to give a hint, but it doesn't seem to be very valuable.

cu, Bernd
nels
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, my hint was 'generic'. I just said (in the other thread) that some files from ibiblio.org were missing but were available on some mirrors. So I thought it would also be the case for texinfo.

I'm sorry if it doesn't help you. At least, I've tried... ;)

Nels
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: