missing modules, kernel backtracking
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: missing modules, kernel backtracking Reply with quote

Hello There!
My name is Terry. I use Micro$oft, and I need help.

I am stuck at Section 16 par. Final network configuration.

Following the gentoo 1.1a install directions to the letter, my first stumbling point was when I unselected SMP support during the make menuconfig section. The compile process did not seem to get past make dep. Other people had this problem and simply added SMP support. I researched at LDP and with google but could not figure out how to tell the compiler that I have only one CPU.

Question#1. How does one specify to the compiler the number of processors available?
I found refrences to adding a SMP="1" env variable to the Makefile to add support for multi-CPU's. Is there a similar env variable to limit to one CPU?

After enabling SMP in the .config the kernel compiled with no problems. From this point I made it smoothly to the Final network configuration. I typed modprobe -c having forgot the driver name for my nic and this is the message I received:
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.19/modules.dep (No such file or directory)

Looking in /lib/modules, I found only the 2.4.18-xfs dir. Now in the /usr/src I found linux-2.4.18-xfs, the linux sym-link to this dir, and a linux-2.4.19-rc1 dir. I am using XFS for all but the boot and swap partions and so upon the suggestion of the emerge sys-kernel/linux-sources message I did an emerge sys-kernel/xfs-sources.

Question#2. What the heck?!
Why did this happen, I only tried emerging the sys-kernel/xfs-sources and did not try emerging the gentoo-sources. However I may not need worry about the sys-kernel/xfs-sources.

After reading the encoraging news from AutoBot in the sticky XFS patch for gentoo-sources 2.4.19-gentoo-r1
, I am wondering what path should I follow to get the updated gentoo-sources? Could someone please explain how to safely update from my emerge of sys-kernel/xfs-sources to gentoo-sources 2.4.19-gentoo-r3 without starting anew. I have read the Portage Manual and User Guide, however this situation is not covered. I would appreciate some guru guidence.

Thank you much.
Terry

Ford, your turning into a penguin. Stop it!
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm...well cant help you with the xfs... i use rieserfs...but as for the drivers...if in doubt...after you compile you can run make menuconfig again or just look in the /lib/modules/2.4.xx/kernel/drivers directory...there you will see a net directory with the driver you chose.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do my best to help you terry.
Quote:

Question#1. How does one specify to the compiler the number of processors available?

This is not necessary if you have only one cpu -- ie dont worry yourself. As for all that is going on with the module problem you can try to run update-modules but it probably wont help -- dirty solution for now is to just compile everything into the kernel by using the [ * ] option therefore bypassing the need to load modules.
Quote:

Question#2. What the heck?!

Try doing what I posted in the other thread, only now the kernel is up to gentoo-sources 2.4.19-gentoo-r4 but all you have to do to get the newer source is emerge gentoo-sources and do the normal steps for compiling a kernel but use the above "dirty" method until someone posts the proper way or I find it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: