Surf web during install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kermitjunior
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Surf web during install? Reply with quote

When you're installing to just one computer (and it has windows... you're only other access to the web), is it possible to surf in text mode while installing?

Just seems like all those other terminals are a waste with nothing to do. I'd really like to be able to Alt-F2 and connect to something to read, like the forums. I realize no frames, yadda yadda, but anything would fill the time better.
IBM 120GB (Linux), WD 30GB (WinDoze), ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro PCI
P-Nuts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Surf web during install? Reply with quote

kermitjunior wrote:
When you're installing to just one computer (and it has windows... you're only other access to the web), is it possible to surf in text mode while installing?

Code:
emerge lynx
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Surf web during install? Reply with quote

kermitjunior wrote:

If you're using the Gentoo 1.4_rc1 LiveCD for installation, it has lynx installed by default. (might also have links and/or w3m -- not sure) Just switch to a new terminal and give it a go.

--kurt
kermitjunior
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: I love these boards Reply with quote

I can't even browse a few boards before getting an answer....

so, emerge lynx

I'm assuming that from there it is just

lynx http://www.blahblah.blah
??

Also, man pages would be nice... do I need to emerge man?
I'll try that. Since you all answered so quickly, I guess I'll have to go build now.... :)
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Surf web during install? Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
kermitjunior wrote:

If you're using the Gentoo 1.4_rc1 LiveCD for installation, it has lynx installed by default. (might also have links and/or w3m -- not sure) Just switch to a new terminal and give it a go.

--kurt

In this CD are a few app. that are "already" installed BUT after you've finished the instalation and you reboot your computer you will find that those app. that you could access from CD aren't installed.
Can you explaind?
Liviu

MACPRO machine...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Surf web during install? Reply with quote

DArtagnan wrote:
In this CD are a few app. that are "already" installed BUT after you've finished the instalation and you reboot your computer you will find that those app. that you could access from CD aren't installed.
Can you explaind?

Sure -- they're installed on the CD, not your hard drive. You need to emerge them after you're done with the installation process.

--kurt
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Surf web during install? Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
DArtagnan wrote:
Can you explaind?

Sure -- they're installed on the CD, not your hard drive. You need to emerge them after you're done with the installation process.

--kurt

Thanks

MACPRO machine...
P-Nuts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I love these boards Reply with quote

kermitjunior wrote:
so, emerge lynx

I'm assuming that from there it is just

lynx http://www.blahblah.blah
??

Also, man pages would be nice... do I need to emerge man?
I'll try that. Since you all answered so quickly, I guess I'll have to go build now.... :)

The manpages aren't available on the livecd as I remember, but for lots of help in lynx just punch the ? key a bit.

Once you've finished and done the first reboot, and are emerging X and stuff, then man will have been installed as part of the system stuff
kermitjunior
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: I just had to post! Reply with quote

Ok, I've played with linux for several years and I'm just now getting serious.

But these boards are unbelievable. I just emerged Lynx and surfed the forums a bit while emerging man and a few other fun tadahs.

I know it's not exciting for some of your super-gurus, but it's nice to find something useful to do whilst emerging, etc.

Just wanted to say thanks for helping all us n00bs out!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: