repetitious post
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: repetitious post Reply with quote

Split from Gentoo Speech Translator (which isn't a duplicate.) --pjp

SoLC wrote:
As seen on /.

And the forums again
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=51009

and again
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=72776

and again
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=74609

and again
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=58774

and again
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=143612

and again...
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=171835

Way to bring some new, refreshing points of view to the forums GentooManiac!

[edit] Changed subject: sorry, but since this moderates split this off and made it my topic, I'm sick of having people reply :P

Last edited by aethyr on Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good idea... let's move this post to the duplicate threads forum instead of here....
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Sssh! Evil doer! Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
I have a good idea... let's move this post to the duplicate threads forum instead of here....

Ah! So open source means free software not free speech.
That's right bury it in dead threads and maybe the bad man will go away. :twisted:

Personally, I thinks the opinion of the author of the Berkeley strain is an interesting, salient point to this thread. But then again Bill Joy quotes the Unabomber and thinks robots are going to take over the world too. I agree with GentooManiac, there's far too much proselytising Gentoo going on. As Homer says 'Its funny cos its true!'. Pwnz3r - I know why I use Gentoo. Do you?
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sssh! Evil doer! Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
That's right bury it in dead threads and maybe the bad man will go away. :twisted:

wtf are you talking about? Look at my previous post. It's a duplicate thread, and not even an insightful one at that.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is it a duplicate thread, but dumbasses post at least 10 copies of this on Slashdot every time Gentoo gets mentioned... :roll:

Whoever wrote the original berates Gentoo zealots for their lack of Red Hat knowledge but demonstrates complete ignorance of Gentoo. Har. Har. Har. :D
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Duplicate Thread Reply with quote

Okay again for the hard of thinking...

So someone used Joy's quote on another thread in this and/or another forum on the known universe - SO WHAT? This entire thread gets shelved? I guess anytime anyone wanted to kill a thread they can just wheel out old Bill Joy!

So unless GentooManiac has started an identical thread in this forum, in which case I apologise profusely for implying you are fascist scum who tries to censor any opinion dissenting from your own, it should stay put.

BTW: There is a bit more to Gentoo than source...
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Duplicate Thread Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
Okay again for the hard of thinking...

So someone used Joy's quote on another thread in this and/or another forum on the known universe - SO WHAT? This entire thread gets shelved? I guess anytime anyone wanted to kill a thread they can just wheel out old Bill Joy!

hahaha wow...

We're not talking about the Bill Joy quote at all! Do you have any idea how these forums work?

The article is a duplicate because the list that GentooManiac posted as been posted many many times here before. I said that it should be closed before you even posted.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Er... Reply with quote

Yes, I guess people should be more careful in reading other's posts!
And yes I am beginning to see how these forums work.

So as promised...

Quote:

...I apologise profusely for implying you are fascist scum who tries to censor any opinion dissenting from your own...

Shame on me

And shame on GentooManiac for not searching the Gentoo forums before posting to such a critical forum as Gentoo Chat.

No, Shame on me again

But shame on the moderator for not moving it straight to dead threads

And shame on all those who replied

except you, of course oh perfect one. Is it okay with you if I post the Bill Joy quote again?
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Er... Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
Yes, I guess people should be more careful in reading other's posts!
And yes I am beginning to see how these forums work.

So as promised...

Quote:

...I apologise profusely for implying you are fascist scum who tries to censor any opinion dissenting from your own...

Shame on me

And shame on GentooManiac for not searching the Gentoo forums before posting to such a critical forum as Gentoo Chat.

No, Shame on me again

But shame on the moderator for not moving it straight to dead threads

And shame on all those who replied

except you, of course oh perfect one. Is it okay with you if I post the Bill Joy quote again?

No, you may not post the quote again, since you already made a thread about it and should keep the discussion there. Posting it here in the first place was wrong since it had nothing to do with the topic discussed here.

Moderators are not God. They cannot be everywhere at once and are not all knowing. They need the help from users to point out duplicate threads, flamewars etc.

So stop trolling and stay on topic.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Too subtle? Reply with quote

I posted replies not threads and if individual repsonses make a whole thread a duplicate then just wheel out Bill Joy whenever you feel the need to crush open discourse you don't agree with. The rest is called SARCASM. I wasn't really suggesting the moderator or the other contributors are in any way at fault. More importantly, moving threads is for housekeeping purposes not to stifle dissenting opinion. Not very open source, is it?

Maybe you just recognise yourself. And BTW I wasn't actually asking your permission - its that SARCASM thing again.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Too subtle? Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
I posted replies not threads and if individual repsonses make a whole thread a duplicate then just wheel out Bill Joy whenever you feel the need to crush open discourse you don't agree with. The rest is called SARCASM. I wasn't really suggesting the moderator or the other contributors are in any way at fault. More importantly, moving threads is for housekeeping purposes not to stifle dissenting opinion. Not very open source, is it?

Maybe you just recognise yourself. And BTW I wasn't actually asking your permission - its that SARCASM thing again.

Okay, now you're just trolling. I can't believe you're that, well, I can't say anything without violating forum rules. :wink:
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Too subtle? Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:

Sigh. The post that started this thread is a duplicate post. It has been posted over and over again. That is why this thread is a duplicate thread. You had nothing to do with that.

As for your Bill Joy, you started a thread about it AND post about it here. That makes your post a duplicate one, not the thread.

You asked a sarcastic question about permission to post it yet again. What I interpreted that as was that you found it stupid that you couldn't post the same thing over and over again. According to the forum rules:

Quote:
Check that your question isn't answered anywhere else

That goes for all posts, not just questions.

Quote:
Search before posting

No need to comment really. If you start the thread I take for granted you know it exists.

Quote:
Keep on topic

You didn't, and no, I'm not either at the moment, since I'm arguing with you instead of reflecting over the original post.

Quote:
Cross posting

Do not post the same thing on several locations. You just did.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this is not a Duplicate Thread but the one copy (check the date of the first post) that was left open and not moved to Duplicate Threads. The threads in the Dupes bin refer to this thread.

If you think you have found a dupe, report it here:
:arrow: Report Guideline violations, duplicates or misplaced posts.

Please try to stop bashing each other now and get back on topic now. Thank you.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Oh, Christ, nevermind.

Last edited by regeya on Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regeya wrote:
if you're going to let someone post a flamebait cut-and-paste that many of us have seen dozens of times, what's the point of having moderators?
It is only flamebait if you interpret it that way. I personally thought it was funny. I don't recall exactly when I saw it, but the first time was on the forums.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sssh! Evil doer! Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
Pwnz3r wrote:

Personally, I thinks the opinion of the author of the Berkeley strain is an interesting, salient point to this thread. But then again Bill Joy quotes the Unabomber and thinks robots are going to take over the world too. I agree with GentooManiac, there's far too much proselytising Gentoo going on. As Homer says 'Its funny cos its true!'. Pwnz3r - I know why I use Gentoo. Do you?

Actually I know why, and one of the main reasons is that I know all the data on this drive is mine and it cannot be possessed by MS or some other company because of a proprietary license. :wink: I have many other reasons as well, such as I find it very nice to be able to change the way it works and such, but it's too big of a list to go through.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
regeya wrote:
if you're going to let someone post a flamebait cut-and-paste that many of us have seen dozens of times, what's the point of having moderators?
It is only flamebait if you interpret it that way. I personally thought it was funny. I don't recall exactly when I saw it, but the first time was on the forums.

The first 50 times I saw it, I thought it was a little funny just because it demonstrates someone's ignorance of all things Gentoo. If you see a story about Gentoo on Slashdot, Newsforge, etc. you're bound to be treated to this hilarious list at least once, if not 4-5 times. It's getting old, and well, I guess I'm just a bitter bastard. Never mind. :oops:

EDIT: Pwnz3r, you forgot to mention that you use Fluxbox.

EDIT: YES, THE ORIGINAL THREAD WAS A DUPE. :wink: Oops, or maybe not! Didn't see the "2003" date there...hunh? Guess someone brought the old zombie back to life. My bad. :cry:
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regeya wrote:
pjp wrote:
regeya wrote:

The first 50 times I saw it, I thought it was a little funny just because it demonstrates someone's ignorance of all things Gentoo. If you see a story about Gentoo on Slashdot, Newsforge, etc. you're bound to be treated to this hilarious list at least once, if not 4-5 times. It's getting old, and well, I guess I'm just a bitter bastard. Never mind. :oops:

EDIT: Pwnz3r, you forgot to mention that you use Fluxbox.

EDIT: YES, THE ORIGINAL THREAD WAS A DUPE. :wink: Oops, or maybe not! Didn't see the "2003" date there...hunh? Guess someone brought the old zombie back to life. My bad. :cry:

I don't know what the hell Fluxbox has to do with that, but whatever you hyppocritical smacktard.

As for the topic, I thought this was the duplicate and that's why I said to close it. It doesn't seem to be doing any good for the community, so why not close it? Maybe the mods and admins here aren't as harsh as I was at my own boards in the past since I hate babies and I hate people that flame people for no reason and that think flame-wars can be won. Oh well.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
I don't know what the hell Fluxbox has to do with that, but whatever you hyppocritical smacktard.
Please refrain from making personal attacks.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly worked as flamebait. :oops:

Quote:

As for the topic, I thought this was the duplicate and that's why I said to close it. It doesn't seem to be doing any good for the community, so why not close it? Maybe the mods and admins here aren't as harsh as I was at my own boards in the past since I hate babies and I hate people that flame people for no reason and that think flame-wars can be won. Oh well.

I have to agree - except for the babies (and regret being so touchy in the first place) since this would probably have been dead already by now as let's face it wasn't that funny (and I suppose even less so after the 50th time).

So sorry guys - n00b out.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:

Y'know, I was on your side on this one until I realized (finally) that we were wrong.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: