Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem.

My kernel was working fine until I decided to get a USB mass storage camera to work, so I recompiled the kernel with USB as a module, the MS file systems as modules... and I think that's it.

It's been freezing, actually -- I get a shit-ton of the "hogging interrupts" messages and then it freezes. It's only been on this kernel and seems to happen at a different time past booting on each time. Usually I get into Xorg and thought the problem was there, but this time I didn't start it, just waited.

I've been having a lot of trouble with IRQs on this system, and before when my onboard NIC wasn't working, fiddling with the USB seemed to help. Given the error message, I'm going to recompile the kernel and leave as much in as possible and only module a few things. I'll report back if this solves the problem.

I'm thinking it might be the combination of a few seemingly unrelated factors.

EDIT: I recompiled (make clean && make && make modules_install) and rebooted. So far, it seems to be fine.

Just for reference, I'm using 2.6.7-r11, if I remember correctly. What I did (explicitly) to the kernel was recompile with USB support and EHCI and OHCI in the kernel. I left mass storage and printer support as modules. I believe that's all.

I didn't change BIOS settings or any other kernel parameters, etc etc etc.

Hope that helps.
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalisphoenix wrote:
S
Just for reference, I'm using 2.6.7-r11, if I remember correctly. What I did (explicitly) to the kernel was recompile with USB support and EHCI and OHCI in the kernel. I left mass storage and printer support as modules. I believe that's all.

I did exactly the same but unfortunately it didn't work for me...sigh
I really hope this was the first and last version skip (2.6.6 was left out) of the gentoo-dev-sources - a lot of problems occur in 2.6.7-rX and no one knows if they were introduced in 2.6.6 or 2.6.7.
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

herring wrote:
MSI K8N Neo platinum, AMD64 3200+

Could it be this driver, or xorg-x11 itself being task-intensive ?

I've got a similar system to you, K8T Neo...blah blah, with the GeForce4 ti4600 and am having the same issue. I also run flux, not that I think that really matters in this case b/c I only really seem to see the errors around boot time. I've been tailing /var/log/messages for some time with X running and I can't get the date/interrupt hog error to happen. (I even tried running glxgears as you'd indicated, but that's not producing the error). I think it's something else.

I didn't have this error on 2.6.7-gentoo-r8. I took a break from Gentoo on this box, installed FBSD 5.2.1, then decided I wanted Gentoo back and this error started happening. So I've skipped 3 kernel revisions and am getting this error. I think I have a backup of 2.6.7-gentoo-r8 somewhere. Maybe I'll try loading that up. I'll post back.

P.S. I also manually ran ntpdate against an external time server since booting, so that might also help me not to be able to reproduce this error.

Edit -- Oops...I just realized that kernel didn't have XFS support and I'm using XFS on / now. I'm not ambitious enough to seek out the old src and recompile, so that's out. ;)
vyzivus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with kernel 2.6.7-gentoo-r8 also. Maybe you had something set in your kernel .config file. Can you post the file, I'll compare it with my .config and post the results.
Dephyler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being a noob, i still don't know emerge all that well. i have never had problems with the ticks until r11. is there a way to tell emerge to get the r8 kernel?

deph
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dephyler wrote:
being a noob, i still don't know emerge all that well. i have never had problems with the ticks until r11. is there a way to tell emerge to get the r8 kernel?

deph

Code:

emerge /usr/portage/sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources/gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r8.ebuild
Dephyler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you! :)
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the mm-sources (2.6.7-mm6) with the same configuration (if possible) and the problem dissappeared.
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem on my aspire 1501Lmi. with the latest gentoo-dev-sources /var/log/messages got filled up with these errormessages. then i switched to the mm-sources. the ticks have gone but i had a new problem with usb. when there was a usb-device attached during boot the system hang when initializing the usb-devices.

I'm now using developement-sources and there are no ticks which are getting lost and my usb-devices work too.

dangertools
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, if you change the Mhz of your CPU the onbe or the other way, you have to use a different tiemsoruce than tsc. This simply won't work out. ie
Code:

dmesg|grep timesource
Using tsc for high-res timesource

won't work for variable clocked CPUs. The ACPI pm_timer would be a solution, but it was said it isn't available in 64bit. Why not? hw limitation or just buggy driver? I would ask at lkml what to do in 64bits and using variably CPU clock.
vyzivus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have aspire 1501LMi also. When I tried the mm sources then the error was resolved however I had to resolve some minor things like not-working keyboard. However the synaptics driver lacked some functionality: double-click on the trackpad area didn't move windows, for example. I didn't had the problem dangertools described with the USB: my USB mouse worked flawlessly, no system hangs.
Which kernel are u using, dangertools? I'm using gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r11 and the ticks thing is still present.

I tried to turn the CPU freq changer off, but the problem didn't disappear - only the "Checking if CPU freq. changed" line disappeared.
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the following kernels:

gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r11:
The ticks were present but everything else worked good

mm-sources-2.6.7-rc2:
the ticks were away but the usb thing was here.

development-sources-2.6.8-r2:
everything fine. no ticks, no usb problems

dangertools
AntiTheus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Asus K8V SE Deluxe, or any VIA chipset board. Reply with quote

jman wrote:
I have a hunch that most of you are using a VIA chipset board. I have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe, and as soon as I recompiled my kernel with VIA VP IDE support, and disabled all of the other IDE drivers the problem is gone. I was having a lot of stability issues as well, but they seem to have cleared up. For those with notebooks, it's the speed-step type feature that is causing problems. There is a setting somewhere in the kernel options to fix it. For those with desktops, I guess the "Cool-n-Quiet" feature could cause the same kind of issues, but it's enabled on my system and it seems to be fine. In closing, I'm not so sure this is as much a kernel issue as it is a configuration issue. With new technology we have to worry about bugs in the code, and in our configuration. Good luck everyone. There is no question that Gentoo is the best way to flex your AMD64's muscles!

I have the same board and got a lot of lost ticks, but then I added VIA IDE support and they disapeared.

Gessing it is a driver issue
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangertools wrote:
I have tried the following kernels:
gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r11:
The ticks were present but everything else worked good

mm-sources-2.6.7-rc2:
the ticks were away but the usb thing was here.

development-sources-2.6.8-r2:
everything fine. no ticks, no usb problems

Since I have the same notebook (Aspire 1501LMi) and no problems at all with the mm-sources 2.6.7-r6 I will post my config.
Maybe the other 1501LMi users could do the same so we can compare :)
http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9827102/.config
A question for the Aspire 1501LMi users: do you always take out the battery when it is completely loaded as recommended in the manual or leave it inside all the time?
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my config:

http://members.inode.at/g.schild/DIV/config

thaldyron wrote:
A question for the Aspire 1501LMi users: do you always take out the battery when it is completely loaded as recommended in the manual or leave it inside all the time?

Normally you should remove the battery when you don't need it for longer. i have mine removed at the moment because the laptop stands here on this place since about a week. but normally my battery is in.

dangertools
nitroburn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fumtu99
I have same problem. The tick error message, have disabled this and that to no avail. A previous person said the no problems with developments-sources(vanilla I am assuming) and no problems..it was a .8 ...hopefully they fixed it and everything will be fine with version bump. I have an HP laptop with no floppy drive and can't flash bios...the synaptics driver is really fishy on this I have to restart syndaemon and then wait forever for it to decide to work.l
bverheg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problems here on an Aspire 1501 LMi.
In my case (most of) the messages are gone when I remove the thermal module (I have subparts of ACPI compiled as modules).
With the thermal module loaded I had "lost ticks" messages repeating every 5 seconds!

Loading the battery module still produces a few messages, but these are non-repeating. The same happens on removing/inserting the battery.

At some times I had the messages repeating every minute, but I am not able to reproduce this configuration.

My config file is here.
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise the Aspire 1501 LMi users to give the mm-sources (2.6.7-r6) a try. No lost ticks messages and IMHO a lot more stable than the gentoo-dev-sources. I posted my mm-sources config for my notebook above if you want to try it.
Cheers

Last edited by thaldyron on Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
bverheg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uname -r
Code:
2.6.8-rc2-mm2

tail /var/log/syslog
Code:
Aug  6 21:29:00 bumpy Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
Aug  6 21:29:00 bumpy warning: many lost ticks.
Aug  6 21:29:00 bumpy Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts
Aug  6 21:29:00 bumpy Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
Aug  6 21:29:05 bumpy warning: many lost ticks.
Aug  6 21:29:05 bumpy Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts
Aug  6 21:29:05 bumpy Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
Aug  6 21:29:05 bumpy warning: many lost ticks.
Aug  6 21:29:05 bumpy Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts
Aug  6 21:29:05 bumpy Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.

This only happens when I have the thermal module loaded. I'll try now with compiling it into the kernel.
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the development-sources a try. They work fine with everything built in. No ticks to see.

dangertools
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the dev sources are a problem too. In fact, I believe the initial post was regarding dev sources...
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfger wrote:
No, the dev sources are a problem too. In fact, I believe the initial post was regarding dev sources...

The initial post was regarding 2.6.7-r6 which are the gentoo-dev-sources not the development-sources. I think that one of the gentoopatches has a problem with some amd64 hardware. The vanilla-kernel (development-sources) works fine same as the mm-sources where gentoo has done nothing too.

dangertools
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Thanks for clearing up the difference between development sources and gentoo-dev sources. I was confused on that point.
darksaidin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the AMD64 cool&silent feature activated in your bios or use some other kind of frequency scaling, you will most likely need to enable frequency scaling for your CPU type in your kernel. CPU ticks are not a viable timesource if the CPU changes it's frequency all the time and the software isn't informed about the change.
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is driving me nuts!! :evil:
I just upgraded from mm-sources-2.6.7-r6 (no problems) to mm-sources-2.6.8rc3-r2 and guess what's appearing in my dmesg:
Code:

Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts
rip acpi_ec_write+0xdc/0x124
Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.

So I'm back to the same problem I had with gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-rx and don't know what to do...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: