Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Environment On DVD-RW... Possible ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OllieD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Environment On DVD-RW... Possible ? Reply with quote

My Thought Is. Would It Be Possible To Install Gentoo On A DVD-RW So The DVD Could Be Used As A Mini Hard Drive. That Way Your Gentoo Would Be Portable And You Could Carry It To Any PC With A DVD Drive. Like A Live CD With Extra Features In A DVD Writer Capable Of Writing DVD-RW Media ?

I Think This Would Be A Kool Idea. If It Is Possible I Would Attempt To Build Such A Mini Gentoo Environment For My PC.

So My Question Is. Is This Possible ?
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I forsee with this is that I don't think there is kernel support for writing directly to DVD-RW. Usually you make an iso9660 filesystem and burn it to the DVD using another program.

To use it like a hard drive you need (correct me if I'm wrong) packet writing. This is in some kernels (I know 2.6.7-rc3-love2 has it), but it's experimental, and so far it only supports CD-RW. So I think you're out of luck.

Right now you might be able to get by using some sort of weird double-session setup where you have some read-only partions and on startup you pull a ram disk off another session and mount that read-write, and then burn it back to the DVD on shutdown. But I don't have nearly enough expertise to tell you how to do that.

Keep an eye on the packet writing support, and when it matures, you'll probably be able to do this. I think it's an interesting project (although it'd undoubtedly be slow :)).
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's no way to do it as of now unless you use DVD-RAM perhaps and even then I'm not sure how that works so.... Oh yeah, you also don't have to capitalize the first letter of every word. That looks sloppy....
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: There was a post to the Linux Kernel Mailing List today with a patch adding support for DVD+RW and CD-RW drives as writable block devices. The patch is against kernel-2.6.7-bk13.

I'm going to see if I can get it to actually compile, and if I can, I'll see if I can put together a single patch for it. However, I don't have any DVD+RW discs on me, so someone else will have to test. :)
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This patch compiles with my usual config (plus cd/dvd packet writing, of course). It applies to vanilla 2.6.7 (contains both -bk13 and the packet writing).

As I said, I have no way of testing this, as I don't have DVD+RWs, but apparently you should be able to mount DVD+RWs read-write with this.

You'll need to format them first. For information see Documentation/cdrom/packet-writing.txt

link: http://dolio.dyndns.org/users/dolio/packet_dvd_block.patch.bz2

I take no responsibility if this blows up your computer, summons the Candyman, etc. Use at your own risk.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: