View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleLui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: "Multimedia" keys w/ gnome, gdm, xmodmap, sawfish: Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,
i bought a Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro (wireless mouse + keyboard) recently, and i'd like to use some of the keyboard's multimedia keys for switching between my four workspaces. I'm using gnome 1.4-r3 and sawfish 1.1.0 on Xfree86 4.2.0-r9 and gdm 2.2.5.4-r5.

First things first, i made myself a .xmodmap file using xkeycaps (tweaked, so it supported my keyboard). This file looks like this:
Code:

! ...snip...
keycode 0x93 =   XF86Finance
keycode 0x94 =   XF86HotLinks
keycode 0x95 =   XF86Community
keycode 0xE6 =   XF86Favorites
! ...snip...
keycode 0xAE =   XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 0xB0 =   XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 0xA0 =   XF86AudioMute
! ...snip...

My goal is using the Finance, HotLinks, Community and Favorites buttons to switch workspaces. I also made a .initrc in my home directory, containing this:
Code:

xmodmap ~/.xmodmap-`uname -n`

I think i can safely rule out the whole uname -n thingie as the source of the error since source-ing the .xinitrc definitely works.

For some reason, the .xinitrc doesn't get processed at startup so i tried to call xmodmap directly from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, using the files absolute path instead of with $HOME, ... but to no avail.
What i have to do to make this stuff work is - after logging in using gdm, when gnome has started:

1. manually source .xinitrc
  2. and using gnome control center, re-assign (using the grab function in the sawfish shortcut configuration panel) one of the four keys to the configured shortcut (for some very strange reason this is neccessary to make things work

If i leave out the first part, the re-assign obviously doesn't work, and until i do the second part the shortcuts don't work. They are, nevertheless, in the list in the control center.
My setup behaves this way ever since i set it up. Oh yeah, i do notice one more thing: The "Favorites" button can be grab-bed without sourcing the .xinitrc, and the volume wheel and mute button work without any trouble at all - neither of the two steps above are required.

One possible source of error is, i had to tweak xkeycaps a bit to make geometry and scancode definitions for some of the multimedia keys. Because the symbolic key names (XF86Finance, ...) didn't work in the context of this header file (probably because it didn't #include some xf86-specific header), i used the hexadecimal codes as defined in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/XF86keysym.h, i.e. 0x1008FF30 for the favorites key. But some of the keys actually do work, so i'm not sure wether this can really be the error.

(Finance, HotLinks, Community don't work, Favorites semi-works, AudioVolUp, AudioVolDown and AudioMute work)

It would be really great if someone could help me,
Lui
licked
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try
http://lineak.sourceforge.net/ (running it right now)
or
http://freshmeat.net/projects/hotkeys/?topic_id=861 (used it with RH)

lineak is better documented and has less depends than hotkeys. if your keyboard is not there, there are instructions for adding it on the site.

my only peeve with it is that button names in the config file are static, meaning you might have to assign a word that has nothing to do with the key. it only crops up on initial config though.

d
LittleLui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot, i'm trying out lineak at the moment
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: