Gentoo 1.4r1, Mozilla, Flash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 1.4r1, Mozilla, Flash Reply with quote

Basically, the problem is that Mozilla + any Mozilla based browsers crash when loading a flash page. netscape-flash is installed. Konqueror works fine. Anyone else experience this or know of a fix?
slak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: mozilla crash Reply with quote

perhaps it happens cause /dev/dsp is busy; got the same problem; crappy sound card drivers.. :( unfortunately it worksss under kde; arts seams to be able to deal with different sound output/input at the same time; cheers
nmr_spectrometer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experiences here.

Basically I had your problem with mozilla crashing whenever I loaded a page with java applets; I tried recompling sun's java from go (a long, arduous process), and then mozilla wouldn't even recognize plugins anyway. Then I tried recompiling mozilla without gtk2 support (i.e. export USE=-gtk2; emerge mozilla). Then it recognized all loaded plugins. No crashes.

Of course it sounds like you're using KDE so you might not even have any gtk support compiled in... can't help ya there.
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you made the right turn then. I emerged Mozilla 1.1 and Galeon CVS and it screwed me up even more. Galeon-cvs is unstable to say the least. I'm stuck with Konqueror which wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for no tabbed browsing. Once you go tabbed you never go back. I tried opera but 1/2 the sites I goto don't render correctly.

I'm going to try what you did.
eivinn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE=-gtk2

did not help me. Mozilla exits/crashes just as fast as the page is loaded if there is any flash file to load. Not any good sign?
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could get flash running using the suggestion made in this thread. Create the libc++mem.c as told and of course use /usr/lib/mozilla instead of /opt/mozilla in that thread.
I didn't get realplay plugin running with this method though, but hey, flash is more important. :-)

Hth,
Larde.
tc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the libc++ stuff is already applied in the latest ebuild, but it didnt work here either. The only way that finally worked was to unpack the .tar.gz binary version (that one without setup) to (for example) /opt/mozilla and to make a script /usr/bin/mozilla like this:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/opt/mozilla
artsdsp /opt/mozilla/mozilla

Non-KDE-users must delete 'artsdsp ', i dont know about gnome, there will be an equivalent command for esound i guess.
And, for some reason I had to unmerge the gentoo-mozilla first to get it running.
toastie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try getting flash6 from the macromedia site, i had the same problem as you with flash5, but as soon as i got flash6 it was fine. also run mozilla from console and see if there are any error messages (no ebuilds for it, so it took me awfile to realize that it was missing some dependancy for flash6)

P4 2.8 HT, Radeon 9800 Pro and assloads of RAM
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQLBoy wrote:
I'm stuck with Konqueror which wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for no tabbed browsing. Once you go tabbed you never go back.

unmask the latest KDE builds and emerge kdebase, the konq included in any of the 3.1 sources has great tab support!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: