Learning to bash - unmasking script
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tody4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Learning to bash - unmasking script Reply with quote

I'm trying to write one of my first bash scripts, taking some information from a post in the Desktop Environments sub-forum, and I can't seem to get it to work for some reason. The output is always the command instead of a list of packages (in this case). Not sure if i'm just not using the variables correctly or what. Any help would be appreciated. Eventually I want to build some intelligence into it so that the script will check the package.keywords / package.unmask file for the current package name and if exists, skip adding to the file, otherwise add to the file, but that's for another time. Right now all I want is for a list of packages to be added to the package.keywords file and I'll write another one to do something similar for package.unmask.

Code:

#! /bin/bash

if [ -z $1 ]; then
   echo "USAGE umask <argument>";
   exit 1
fi

for i in 'emerge -p $1 | grep ebuild \
   | tr -s | cut -f 4';do
   echo "Unmasking Package $i"
#   echo ">=$i ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords;
done

exit 0

Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the command in single quotes, which means the script treats it as a string. You need to put it in backticks ( `` ) so the command is executed.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unne wrote:
You have the command in single quotes, which means the script treats it as a string. You need to put it in backticks ( `` ) so the command is executed.

One of the reasons I always use $(command) instead.
tody4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: [solved] Reply with quote

That's what it was, thanks for the help.
sparks
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Learning to bash - unmasking script Reply with quote

tody4 wrote:
I'm trying to write one of my first bash scripts, taking some information from a post in the Desktop Environments sub-forum, and I can't seem to get it to work for some reason. The output is always the command instead of a list of packages (in this case). Not sure if i'm just not using the variables correctly or what. Any help would be appreciated. Eventually I want to build some intelligence into it so that the script will check the package.keywords / package.unmask file for the current package name and if exists, skip adding to the file, otherwise add to the file, but that's for another time. Right now all I want is for a list of packages to be added to the package.keywords file and I'll write another one to do something similar for package.unmask.

Code:

#! /bin/bash

if [ -z $1 ]; then
   echo "USAGE umask <argument>";
   exit 1
fi

for i in 'emerge -p $1 | grep ebuild \
   | tr -s | cut -f 4';do
   echo "Unmasking Package $i"
#   echo ">=$i ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords;
done

exit 0

I like the idea behind this. However I am not a programmer, and could not get this script to work even with the back ticks (``). With my _very_ limited knowledge about bash scripting I tried to make a script that worked for me, this is what I came up with.
Code:

#! /bin/bash
if [ "$UID" -ne "0" ] ; then
   echo "Only root can use this script";
   exit 1
fi

if [ -z $1 ]; then
   echo "USAGE: umask <argument>";
   exit 1
fi

for i in `emerge -p $1 | grep ebuild | cut -b 17-70`
   do echo ">=$i ~amd64 [*Added to packages.keywords*]"
   echo ">=$i ~amd64" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords;
done

exit 0

Now, I'm sure someone is going to say "WTF!? why did you go about it that way?", and honestly its because I don't know any better. If anyone could offer suggestions as how to improve these scripts it would be appreciated.

Also having the intellegence built in to know whether or not a package is already in package.keywords would be nice. Any takers?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: