DVD to avi/ogg
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: DVD to avi/ogg Reply with quote

heya,

is there any tool that encodes my favorite movies from dvd into avi/ogg files to my harddisk? with a decent quality, that is...

jens
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvdrip works nicely, and it has excellent documentation. It's a GUI front-end to ripping and transcoding tools, and has sane default settings. Check the USE flags for it and its dependencies before you emerge (i.e., emerge with -av) and make sure they all support the features you want. I've seen excellent results from it in an ogg (.ogm file), with xvid4 (from xvid codec v. 1.x, currently masked) and vorbis audio.

There are probably other options, but dvdrip seems the most popular choice when this question comes up in other threads.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: DVD to avi/ogg Reply with quote

_savage wrote:
is there any tool that encodes my favorite movies from dvd into avi/ogg files to my harddisk? with a decent quality, that is...

I tend to use dvdrip and quickrip. The former offers more options, though I've always had a problem dealing with ripping and encoding a movie's subtitles. The latter uses mencoder and can handle subtitles very easily.

I should note that I've not tried using the latest version of dvdrip to transcode a movie with subtitles so I might be wrong on that!

Best,

Alex
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: