n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green_buddy wrote:
Just to make sure I tried that again, but no dice. Same thing
Quote:
Verifying DMI pool data...
and then tries to boot from the cd. Aaaauuuggghhh! :twisted:

And you are sure that after the first install, and the boot from the grub floppy, you installed grub correctly on /dev/sda (MBR), or if that doesent work, you might try installing it on /dev/sda1, and install a normal windows MBR using a win98 bootup disc by executing fdisk /MBR

/Kaeno
green_buddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Highpoint ide raid1 hot swapping Reply with quote

Col,

I need a little further explanation in my case... sorry about being so needy here. For now I've given up on booting directly into the hard-disk and am going to use a boot floppy until things get cleared away... So back to my questions on the raid1 install...
col wrote:
- Modify kernel source (as shown in highpoint docs in that come with the GUI, they are good).
- compiled & insmod the highopint module. I can now access /dev/sda
- emerge lilo lvm-user
I've gotten this far and can now access both /dev/sda and /dev/hde. Well... I can mount stuff on /dev/hde, but not yet on /dev/sda.

At this point I'm skeptical about moving on, 'cause in my case, /dev/sda is /dev/hde. /dev/hda in my case is my cd-rom drive. I don't have an extra disk lying around to attach it to the regular (non-raid controlled) ide controller.

I'm worried about doing a mke2fs -j /dev/sda1, 'cause I already have an ext3 partition on /dev/hde1, as well as the swap and root partitions as well. Do I just skip the steps for creating partitions on /dev/sda? 'Cause as far as I understand it, /dev/sda and /dev/hde are the same drives in my case. I want to avoid corrupting /dev/hde if I start creating partitions on /dev/sda. Am I being clear? :?

What next?

Thanks,
-green
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Highpoint ide raid1 hot swapping Reply with quote

green_buddy wrote:
Col,

I need a little further explanation in my case... sorry about being so needy here. For now I've given up on booting directly into the hard-disk and am going to use a boot floppy until things get cleared away... So back to my questions on the raid1 install...
col wrote:
- Modify kernel source (as shown in highpoint docs in that come with the GUI, they are good).
- compiled & insmod the highopint module. I can now access /dev/sda
- emerge lilo lvm-user
I've gotten this far and can now access both /dev/sda and /dev/hde. Well... I can mount stuff on /dev/hde, but not yet on /dev/sda.

At this point I'm skeptical about moving on, 'cause in my case, /dev/sda is /dev/hde. /dev/hda in my case is my cd-rom drive. I don't have an extra disk lying around to attach it to the regular (non-raid controlled) ide controller.

I'm worried about doing a mke2fs -j /dev/sda1, 'cause I already have an ext3 partition on /dev/hde1, as well as the swap and root partitions as well. Do I just skip the steps for creating partitions on /dev/sda? 'Cause as far as I understand it, /dev/sda and /dev/hde are the same drives in my case. I want to avoid corrupting /dev/hde if I start creating partitions on /dev/sda. Am I being clear? :?

What next?

Thanks,
-green

ok the partitions are the same thing so if you format /dev/sda1 you will also format /dev/hda1 assuming that they are the same physical disk. I dont see the point of bothering with this if you only have one disk ?
green_buddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Highpoint ide raid1 hot swapping Reply with quote

col wrote:
ok the partitions are the same thing so if you format /dev/sda1 you will also format /dev/hda1 assuming that they are the same physical disk. I dont see the point of bothering with this if you only have one disk ?

The long of it... I'm sorry if I haven't been clear enough. I have two 80Gig disks, but was having a significant amount of trouble just getting my install to work with both disks, so decided to try and take one of the potential problems out of the equation in order to simplify the situation. Your reply to the second post seemd to indicate that you can indeed install the raid1 on an already installed system. Another problem was that I only have 2 drives, and not 3 which seems to make the raid1 setup much different than your instructions.

I've now installed the other drive to try and get to a point where I can continue to move through your instructions...

The short of it... I have 2 drives. Mobo onboard Highpoint raid controller.

Thanks for all the helping with this.

-green
green_buddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Highpoint ide raid1 hot swapping Reply with quote

green_buddy wrote:
The short of it... I have 2 drives. Mobo onboard Highpoint raid controller.

Scratch that... I went out and bought another drive (smaller) over the weekend to hold the small boot partition... Hopefully that will make things a little easier from here on out, and so far it has! :)

It's amazing how far drives have fallen in price lately that you can pick up 40Gig for under $40 for a WD-ATA/133 drive... talk about cost effective. I was hoping I could pick up a 5Gig disk for under $5 bucks, but apparently they don't make 'em that small anymore! ;)

:?: col:
I have a question... I now have 3 partitions on both /dev/hda and /dev/sda. It looks as though you have a single massive partition. I was hoping to get everything working using a partitioning schema similar to the one used in the install docs, where...
Code:
/dev/hda1 && /dev/sda1 = ext3
/dev/hda2 && /dev/sda2 = swap
/dev/hda3 && /dev/sda3 = reiserfs

Can you clarify what you're doing when you call for a
Code:
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/sda1

I assume your intention is to copy the root partition, but it seems you have boot and root on the same partition. Is there another way of accomplishing that? I was thinking that I could do a...
Code:
rsync -a /mnt/source/ /mnt/destination
After mounting both source and destination to /dev/hda3 and /dev/sda3 respectively.

For whatever reason when I do
Code:
dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/sda3
the process doesn't seem to complete. Granted... it takes a very long time I'm sure, but over an hour is a little ridiculous no? :?

Also, the rest of the install process for this is a little different as well wrt the initrd stuff. Do you forsee any problems with the route I'm taking due to the fact that I am using 3 seperate partitions and you only seem to be using 1?

Thanks again,
-green
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes there are other ways of cloning the partitions that you can find in these forums...if you read my summary of how I setup the hpt 374 controller, it is a much simpler procedure....no dd, no modify kernel & kernel recompile.....also grub works now. There has been a new driver released since I wrote the first guide so next time I set up a hpt374 controller I will carefully document it and update the original howto. If you check back in a few weeks time I will post a new howto based on the latest highpoint software.

The RAID 1 does not care about how your partitions are set up....it mirrors everything including the partition tables & boot sector. The mirror disk is an exact replica of the master disk.
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the howto so it should be much easier to follow now. It is written for the hpt374 controller.
puke
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the latest gentoo-sources be used now, instead of the vanilla-sources?
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used vanilla because I was having problems compiling the kernel module with other kernels. If the module compiles & insmods then you can use it.
puke
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used vanilla because I was having problems compiling the kernel module with other kernels. If the module compiles & insmods then you can use it.

What about stability? Does the module degrade system stability in any way?
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puke wrote:
Quote:

What about stability? Does the module degrade system stability in any way?

Not with the kernels I have been using ....I have used both the hpt372 & hpt374 modules on 2* servers since october 2002 & both have been running perfectly....since then I have gone through 2*2.4 vanilla kernels both which worked perfectly.
fredbear5150
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on HPT 370/372 controller with Raid 1 Reply with quote

I've been following this thread as the method by which I will ultimately get a Raid 0/1 setup working on my setup - an A-Bit KX7-333R with built in HPT 370/372 IDE Raid Controller. I'm trying to get two RAID 1 mirrors up first.

I made three partitions on the first drive with it being /dev/hda:

hda1 = boot (100 MB)
hda2 = swap (1 GB)
hda3 = / (8 GB)

Ultimately, I then want to create a /home filesystem which uses the remainder of the first disc and the complete second disc of the pair as a single LVM volume of about 150GB (I need SERIOUS file storage! :lol: ) I haven't, yet, got as far as creating the LVM volume so I've just been working on the 3 partitions I've created so far.

Following the instructions here, using the 2.4.22 vanilla sources and the latest Highpoint driver version (v1.31), I managed to create a disc that loaded initrd with the scsi modules and the hpt37x2 module and could boot up fine. I could see the mirror drive on the HPT controller also.

However, when I went and moved hda to the hde position on the Highpoint controller and changed the BIOS to boot off of ATARaid first, the Highpoint controller could not find a bootable disk! The RAID was off-line and the controller did warn me about this and asked if I wanted to rebuild the RAID1 mirror. I said "No" and continued trying to boot - all I did do was make sure the controller had the hde disk as the bootable one.

When this didn't work, I put the drive back in hda and tried to boot but it wouldn't. To my horror, when I botted the Gentoo CD and did an fdisk on /dev/hda just to see the partition status, the partitions had disappeared!

I'm now going through the install process again by building on the hda drive. The questions I have are really these:

1) When I get to plugging the hda drive into hde with the mirror plugged in also, do I initiate the RAID1 from the Highpoint BIOS or just continue booting and use the RAID Management tools to set the RAID up?

2) Does the HPT BIOS write anything to the drive when it gets turned into a RAID drive? I cannot understand why the partitions got overwritten. Also, prior to this, the same box ran RedHat 7.2 in RAID 1 across two 80GB drives. When I urgently needed a spare drive, I took the RAID off of the box and put the hde drive into hda. Apart from having to re-do lilo.conf and fstab, it booted up fine so it proves that you can move RAID drives onto normal IDE drives easily.

3) Once I've got the first mirror pair up, I'll put the next pair in and set the RAID one mirror up on those from the Highpoint BIOS. Then I'll just use LVM to create a single logical volume across the remainder of hde and the whole of HDF. Is this the correct attack plan or should I instead create a RAID 0/1 setup in the Highpoint BIOS?

Obviously, once I've done this build and got the drive to boot as hda with
the hpt module loading from initrd, I'm a bit concerned about moving the drive onto the Highpoint controller because it seemed to get overwritten last time - again, I DEFINITELY did not set up the RAID1 mirror in the Highpoint BIOS.

Any help would be appreciated - the How-To is good as far as it goes, I just need to understand these last couple of points.
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemme ask something...if I want to use a 2.6 kernel with this, will it work?

I've tried to setup software RAID, the problem is that I've already made a RAID0 array, so I can't remake a new array, unless I'm missing something...I'd like to upgrade my file server to the 2.6 kernel series (2.6-test6-mm4 to be exact) but there's no hardware RAID support, much to my dismay. The server is currently running a 2.4.21 vanilla, patched for XFS support...
40GB WD 7200RPM (37.1GB)
120GB WD 8MB 7200RPM (111GB)
160GB WD 8MB 7200RPM (149GB)
40GB WD 7200RPM (37.1GB)
Pioneer DVR-A06 4x DVD±RW
HP CD-RW 9500i (12x8x32x)
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1) When I get to plugging the hda drive into hde with the mirror plugged in also, do I initiate the RAID1 from the Highpoint BIOS or just continue booting and use the RAID Management tools to set the RAID up?

When you remove the drive from the standard IDE to the hpt IDE you do not have to have the mirror disk plugged in. The disks can be hot plugged. You do not have to set up the raid in the bios. With the raid bios you can tell it to create the raid only then power down and remove the disk. Boot linux up and the open up the Highpoint gui manager. Then hot plug in the mirror drive and do a rescan. It will start rebuilding the mirror. This can also be done using the gui manager but your mirror disks must be blank with no partitions. Either way it should work.

Quote:

2) Does the HPT BIOS write anything to the drive when it gets turned into a RAID drive? I cannot understand why the partitions got overwritten. Also, prior to this, the same box ran RedHat 7.2 in RAID 1 across two 80GB drives. When I urgently needed a spare drive, I took the RAID off of the box and put the hde drive into hda. Apart from having to re-do lilo.conf and fstab, it booted up fine so it proves that you can move RAID drives onto normal IDE drives easily.

I have never lost any data myself. The only way I can think of is you have cloned the blank drive on the good drive using the highpoint bios ? this is easy to do if you plug your master into the wrong ide port. This is why I prefer to use the raid gui instead of the bios.

I also have an extra menu option in my lilo meny to boot off the standard ide port (hda) which works fine.
Quote:

3) Once I've got the first mirror pair up, I'll put the next pair in and set the RAID one mirror up on those from the Highpoint BIOS. Then I'll just use LVM to create a single logical volume across the remainder of hde and the whole of HDF. Is this the correct attack plan or should I instead create a RAID 0/1 setup in the Highpoint BIOS?

yes I guess this sounds like it will work. I dont use LVM myself though.

Last edited by col on Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:06 am; edited 2 times in total
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicholasDWolfwood wrote:
Lemme ask something...if I want to use a 2.6 kernel with this, will it work?

I've tried to setup software RAID, the problem is that I've already made a RAID0 array, so I can't remake a new array, unless I'm missing something...I'd like to upgrade my file server to the 2.6 kernel series (2.6-test6-mm4 to be exact) but there's no hardware RAID support, much to my dismay. The server is currently running a 2.4.21 vanilla, patched for XFS support...

I dont know ? to test it , compile your kernel without highpoint support and then try compiling the highpoint module. Being only partial opensource there is a chance it may not work but if it builds / insmods the you should be ok with 2.6.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: