Photograph databases
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_i_orourke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Photograph databases Reply with quote

I'm looking for a database system for storing information about photographs. I started writing my own using MySQL and Perl but I keep losing interest and I could really do with something that works now.

Does anyone out there know of anything like this? I don't want one of the many web album generators, most of the photos haven't been scanned in and may never be (it takes so long to scan slides). The database has to be able to handle thousands of photos, my current database has about 3000 slides in it.

There seem to be lots of applications for storing details of CDs, DVDs, videos, etc. I can't find any for photos!
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing... they store details about the items...not the items themselves.

You'd store the actual files in your standard filesystem, and the mySQL database would only reference the filename, and perhaps a file ID or something. Using this method, you'd create the anchor tags on the webpage that reference the location of the actual image file.
kevin_i_orourke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OdinsDream wrote:
That's the thing... they store details about the items...not the items themselves.

That's exactly what I want to do. Storing the items themselves is easy, I've got a couple of large cardboard boxes full of them. I'm just trying to find an app to store the details about each picture: title, description, keywords, date, etc.
seang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share your desire for such a beast!! I've resorted to a stonking great spreadsheet to record such details, but it's far from ideal... I've scanned a couple of thousand family photos (slides, negatives, prints,... took AGES!) an would love a better way to reference them...

Oh well, I guess worth watching this thread to see if some bod comes up with something.

Cheers,
Sean

PS Kevin - Your last name is not so very different from my own!! :-)
B_F_Skinner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Gnome Photo Collector?

I haven't tried this, but the screen shots look good.

Here it is

http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/gphotocoll/

Last edited by B_F_Skinner on Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
B_F_Skinner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted above, but didn't bump for some reason...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcg wrote:
posted above, but didn't bump for some reason...
The original posting (Posted: Thu Nov 14th, 2002 22:32) should have bumped the thread. Edits do not bump posts. I'm guessing you are referring to the edit (Last edited by mcg on Thu Nov 14th, 2002 23:00, edited 1 time in total) not bumping the thread.
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If interested, I could write a quick php-script for this, but there are many allready available (google all the way)

I myself use one I created for my site which reads al the directorys in a certain dir, names the foto-albums after the name of the dir, and places all the files in the dir into the album. This could easily be upgraded to creating a comment of the filename. Filesize, format, ... can be extracted on the fly by php
B_F_Skinner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, I edited to try to bump it because it didn't bump the first time. I waited a while and it still didn't bump, so I posted again.

As for the script, I'd be interested in seeing it here if it weren't too long, else a link would be fine.

Thanks all.
kevin_i_orourke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome Photo Collector looks good, I'll have to give it a try.

The PHP suggestion wouldn't really work. I don't have image files for all of the photos (ever tried scanning 3000+ slides?), so scanning directories and extracting information is a non-starter.

I used to use a Microsoft Access database for this, but now I've moved to Linux that's no longer an option.
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Photograph databases Reply with quote

kevin_i_orourke wrote:
I'm looking for a database system for storing information about photographs. I started writing my own using MySQL and Perl but I keep losing interest and I could really do with something that works now.

Why using a database for that?

I'm thinking about writing something to store my photos on KDE. Now, what I would like to do is to store all the information about the photo in the jpeg file itself. There is a standard for that, and digital camera populate those values automatically.
The big advantage is it would be independant of the program. You would be able to get this information on any program. ACDSee read that well under Windows. It should be included soon in Konqueror (if not already done).
Are you a KDE user?
doug-x07
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is probably not the easiest solution to your request and involves the steepest learning curve. Oracle database handle binary large objects blobs natively in their databases in a similar (but not identical way) to other datatypes. You just load up you photographs then handle them with plain sql. It really is the best solution available, but its up to you if you want to take the effort of installing, administering and learning the beast. Maybe that is not what you are after, but the outlay is worth it as it scales beautifully and can be adapted to any use you want. Just wanted to let you know the possibility exists.
try { $again } catch { $problem && $resolve };
bless $posters; }
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit too overkill for me =) I use pixie to make web galleries with thumbnails. Then, I edit the HTML to add information about each picture.

doug-x07 wrote:
Ok this is probably not the easiest solution to your request and involves the steepest learning curve. Oracle database handle binary large objects blobs natively in their databases in a similar (but not identical way) to other datatypes. You just load up you photographs then handle them with plain sql. It really is the best solution available, but its up to you if you want to take the effort of installing, administering and learning the beast. Maybe that is not what you are after, but the outlay is worth it as it scales beautifully and can be adapted to any use you want. Just wanted to let you know the possibility exists.
Tiganu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Photograph databases Reply with quote

fmalabre wrote:
kevin_i_orourke wrote:

Why using a database for that?

I'm thinking about writing something to store my photos on KDE. Now, what I would like to do is to store all the information about the photo in the jpeg file itself. There is a standard for that, and digital camera populate those values automatically.
The big advantage is it would be independant of the program. You would be able to get this information on any program. ACDSee read that well under Windows. It should be included soon in Konqueror (if not already done).
Are you a KDE user?

Very interesting ideea.
Is there a standard for including detail info in jpegs (or other format) ?

I'm looking to create a gallery for my own pics, and including all the details in the pics themselves in a standard way would give a lot of flexibility.
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Photograph databases Reply with quote

Tiganu wrote:
Is there a standard for including detail info in jpegs (or other format) ?

Yes, the standard is called EXIF, you can find the specs at http://www.pima.net/standards/it10/PIMA15740/exif.htm.
It's photography oriented, but you have few fields of free text.

To search through 10K pictures, it would be easy to load everything in memory and to do your lookups in memory. It would be faster than a db, and you won't have the hassle of setting up a db for that.
You could save the index of those EXIF data in an index file that you could update checking the checksum on your pic files. This would be very fast at startup and as you query your info. And especially, you wouldn't be linked to a specific program to read/modify those data as it is a standard (konqueror read those data already).
Also, in EXIF you can include a thumbail of the photo in the EXIF header. That is very fast if you want to show thuimbails of your pics. Then you don't have to go through the resizing part which is very costly.
My camera (Sony F707) already populate the thumbail and all kind of info in EXIF. All new digital camera does...

Fred.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: