acroread on sparc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiguire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: acroread on sparc Reply with quote

Hello all.

Seeing as there is so much quality Sun hardware and software documentation available in Adobe's PDF format, I've been wondering what tools the gentoo sparc guys use to read these resources.

Of course, xpdf, gpdf and kpdf are are all fine (despite a few niggling problems that crop up now and then, mostly with font rendering), but there are times when you really *do* need the "reference" implementation from Adobe.

The app-text/acroread ebuild is for x86 arch only :(, despite the fact that there are versions for other platforms at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html, including solaris/sparc.

Ideally, the acroread ebuild should recognise the underlying arch/platform and build the appropriate package accordingly.

Since we live in a *real* world, I would very much like to know how others have solved this conundrum before. Please, any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found xpdf to work 99.9% of the time for me. Both in personal and professional use, it's been able to render the documents correctly and quite they are quite readable. Particuarly in the more recent versions (anything in the last year or so), as long as your font settings in ~/.xpdfrc are set as the the ebuild tells you duing postinstall, you should be fine.

If you do have any documents in particular that are problematic and can share them, I'd be interested to give them a try.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: