Kernel Configuration -- Sound
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harpalus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Kernel Configuration -- Sound Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am going to be isntaling gentoo soon, and I have a question about the sound options during the kernel configuration.

Is it better to include support from my specific card (the kernel supports it) and disable all the rest. (In that case compile it as module or not?)

or is it better to use alsa, and if not, should it be included anyhow for compatibility with different sound software/daemons?

Thanks
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel Configuration -- Sound Reply with quote

Harpalus wrote:
Is it better to include support from my specific card (the kernel supports it) and disable all the rest. (In that case compile it as module or not?)

Hi.

"Better" here is kind of subjective. Alsa is what I use, and it has support for all kinds of crazy surround sound / multiple mixer / many channels stuff. It's very 'featurous'.

As for compatibility, ALSA has an 'oss emulation mode'. To all programs, Alsa appears exactly the same as the equivalent OSS driver. However, some programs ( Mplayer, XMMS... ) can utilise the special features of the ALSA system.

My opinion - use ALSA. If it doesn't work, fall back to OSS sound. Keep in mind its fine to have both compiled as modules ( but if you have OSS modules for your card compiled into the kernel, you won't be able to load ALSA ones ). Then you can pick and choose as you see fit.

Seeya!

-- Curious
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: