Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PPC64 bit will not have a window system?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rawn027
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: PPC64 bit will not have a window system? Reply with quote

Should i spend time trying to install this ppc64 linux, wil there be applications for it, like kde?...how long should a statge 3 install take on a G5?

MacBook Pro Duo 1.67
1GB DDR2 667 RAM
ATI x1600 Mobility
stimuli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, the point of distributing source code (a la Open Source, like linux, BSD, etc) is that you can compile the code to run natively on your system, regardless of architecture. So assuming GCC 3.3 has relatively stable PPC64 compilers, then yes, all linux apps (with very few exceptions) will run, and run well.
mox2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stimuli wrote:
Er, the point of distributing source code (a la Open Source, like linux, BSD, etc) is that you can compile the code to run natively on your system, regardless of architecture. So assuming GCC 3.3 has relatively stable PPC64 compilers, then yes, all linux apps (with very few exceptions) will run, and run well.

Well, in theory. We all know that it often takes a tweak there and a tweak here to get a number of applications running. And no, as far as I know neither X.org nor XFree86 have been seen anywhere running on top of PPC64. On Tom Gall's page - dev.gentoo.org/~tgall he speaks about things on his radar screen and mentions graphic applications - X (I don't even think about KDE or GNOME). If anyone _has_ indeed a working X under PPC64 and proves me wrong, I'd be more than delighted. I doubt it tho ;)
mox2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC64 bit will not have a window system? Reply with quote

Rawn027 wrote:
Should i spend time trying to install this ppc64 linux, wil there be applications for it, like kde?...how long should a statge 3 install take on a G5?

I have installed PPC64, compiled a working kernel - been there, done that. BUT: As far as I can see this is a very adventurous thing which - as far as I can see it now - doesn't really pay off. Sure, it's a service to the community, no question about that and therefore it's, well, noble. But it does not really get _you_ anywhere. So if you want to work with this system, view web pages, write something etc - just take PPC32. PPC32 is stable, feature rich and fast.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: